So why can't I do a BB bench press.

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
I can do them fine with heavier DB's. Barbell makes my shoulder lock or elbow lock, and I almost got crushed underneath it last night. Even for lower weights like 50lbs. Does not matter if its Incline, Decline or flat, I cannot do anything on the regular. However I can work a Smith Machine just fine.

I would appreciate any help!

What is wrong O Genius AnabolicTards?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off, I would suggest you never BP without a safety rack/pins or spotters, just to be safe.
Why do you think you can do the Smith!?, and not a reg st bar BP. It sounds like it maybe something in your bar path execution, since the Smith is very dictated and straight upwards!?

Have you had other troubles with a shoulder or shoulders?
Is it only one side that acts up?
Did you ever injure it?
Can you vid doing a slow empty bar?
Otherwise, I would suggest, if you cannot do it, to steer clear.

No pun intended but:
What did Dr Vinnyboombots say to Rodney Dangerfield...
Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do dis!?!?
Den don't do dat...!

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry about it, man. The bench press is a great measure of strength, but in my opinion DB work is better for muscle building and getting familiar with squeezing the pec. Generally speaking I'd say it is safer on the shoulder joint as well - a lot of people get jacked up trying to bench heavy/a lot and get shoulder issues that plague them for years.

I'm with Paul. If it hurts, don't do it. There are a thousand ways to train your chest, dropping one exercise won't hurt you!

Oh, and eat more.

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry about it, man. The bench press is a great measure of strength, but in my opinion DB work is better for muscle building and getting familiar with squeezing the pec. Generally speaking I'd say it is safer on the shoulder joint as well - a lot of people get jacked up trying to bench heavy/a lot and get shoulder issues that plague them for years.

I'm with Paul. If it hurts, don't do it. There are a thousand ways to train your chest, dropping one exercise won't hurt you!

Oh, and eat more.
Thanks Guys!

Thing is, I can do a smith but not a BB press, and its almost a ligher weight (like 70 lbs lighter almost) but I still struggle with stabilizing the bar, drives me nuts, I get a buddy to watch my RoM on the DB to see if I am leaning on one side etc, nothing whatsoever, so I am just confused. I will go back to do the Smith.

But reading the bad press about the Smith machine makes me think I am strangling kittens everytime I smith press, the opinion is ridiculous.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Thanks Guys!

Thing is, I can do a smith but not a BB press, and its almost a ligher weight (like 70 lbs lighter almost) but I still struggle with stabilizing the bar, drives me nuts, I get a buddy to watch my RoM on the DB to see if I am leaning on one side etc, nothing whatsoever, so I am just confused. I will go back to do the Smith.

But reading the bad press about the Smith machine makes me think I am strangling kittens everytime I smith press, the opinion is ridiculous.
Actually, there is truth here!
Every time you bench (or do anything for that matter) in a Smith machine, God kills a kitten!!

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
What are my options then ? I can't be doing a Smith M/C for ever!

Vinnyboombots

Vinnyboombots

Awards
No pun intended but:
What did Dr Vinnyboombots say to Rodney Dangerfield...
Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do dis!?!?
Den don't do dat...!
That line is under copyright, I never gave you permission to use it..:lol:

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
Learn how to bench correctly if you want to bench. Or just stick with DB variations
Frankly Sean, I had a trainer at LT support me through an entire session and my shoulders hurt real bad, only when I did a press with BB, not on the smith, not on the DB. The trainer (lead at LT Memphis) also said that I was using correct form ( i am not the most educated in this area I agree) but he is a close friend as well, so he won't hold back any punches.

I appreciate your help.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Frankly Sean, I had a trainer at LT support me through an entire session and my shoulders hurt real bad, only when I did a press with BB, not on the smith, not on the DB. The trainer (lead at LT Memphis) also said that I was using correct form ( i am not the most educated in this area I agree) but he is a close friend as well, so he won't hold back any punches.

I appreciate your help.
No offense to your trainer/close friend, but just because someone is a certified trainer, doesn't mean they know everything. Obviosuly, if it hurts-don't do it, stick with DBs.

The previous post was correct...the barbell bench is good for testing strength, but isn't the greatest of chest development. Just saying though, if you want to bench-I'd research technique a bit more outside of what your friend told you.

Look into barbell/dumbell floor presses, incline DB presses, weighted dips..

vassille

Awards
I think just from my observation in the gym 95% or greater ppl bench press wrong. One of the reasons DBs are better in that case is simply because if it hurts DBs are easy to move to a different position and release the pressure. You can have bad form even with DBs is just easier to move those around as suppose to a rigid bar. With a bar you either bench properly or incorrect form will just put pressure on adjecent muscle like front delts and shoulders, tris and very little on the chest itself.
Let's say you bench today and next day or the day after you feel muscle sorness in the delts, shoulders, tris and very little on the chest that is a good indicator something you do when benching is wrong...either set up, bar alignment, etc
When I do any kind of benching...DBs, BB, Smith you name it, I always press with my chest and I never have muscle discomfort in other muscle groups but the chest.
THe problem is that when ppl start to bench press many find it's easier to lift with delts and shoulders and increase the weight on the bar. That is a false sense of strength because delts and shoulders are such small muscles that there is not way it's a sustainable approach. The right approach to bench will take longer to build those chest muscles and long term with yield far greater chest development and strength.
Hope this helps

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I think just from my observation in the gym 95% or greater ppl bench press wrong.
definately and sadly true

its funny how they all think that us 5%ers that do it even remotely correct are doing it all wrong. just the other day, some guy told me he never arched his back when benching and his friends that did nowhave bad backs. well, you and your friends fall in the 95% category that bench wrong, squat wrong or dont squat at all, and dont deadlift at all.

i actually said that cuz it was the same annoying fatass that i made a thread about a few months ago. wasnt in the mood to ignore some pseudo trainers advice

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That line is under copyright, I never gave you permission to use it..:lol:
So are you the same doc that said for $3000 you could fix my head, but for $25 could just re-touch up the x-rays???
Patient: Doctor doctor, I get up in the morning, look in the mirror and I just wanna puke, what's wrong?
Doc: I dunno but your eyesight is perfect.

Getting serious now,
As far as your BPing, I can see how you want to do it badly.
2 Things...
1st) Can you do a partial (ie: just go half way down and see if it happens, if it is okay, slowly slowly inch down and see where the joint kicks out) without any discomfort? Use bar only.

2nd) Echoing others and repeating, what about letting in the idea, that at this point in your training, you just can't do it and maybe, by doing some work with the DB's and even Smith if you can, perhaps later on, you will be able to use it. Otherwise, if you are never going to compete iin a 3 lift comp, just use other lifts to build your chest.

compudog

compudog

Awards
I can do them fine with heavier DB's. Barbell makes my shoulder lock or elbow lock, and I almost got crushed underneath it last night. Even for lower weights like 50lbs. Does not matter if its Incline, Decline or flat, I cannot do anything on the regular. However I can work a Smith Machine just fine.

I would appreciate any help!

What is wrong O Genius AnabolicTards?
Your form is garbage. There are certain conditions that might prevent you from being able to bench, but they would actually be fairly serious injuries that would also prevent you from doing a lot of other stuff, like dumbbell bench and smith "bench". If you can use a smith machine to do a fake bench press you can use a barbell to do a real one, provided you know how.

Look up Dave Tate's videos, "So You Think You Can Bench", & learn how to do it right.

compudog

compudog

Awards
definately and sadly true

its funny how they all think that us 5%ers that do it even remotely correct are doing it all wrong. just the other day, some guy told me he never arched his back when benching and his friends that did nowhave bad backs. well, you and your friends fall in the 95% category that bench wrong, squat wrong or dont squat at all, and dont deadlift at all.

i actually said that cuz it was the same annoying fatass that i made a thread about a few months ago. wasnt in the mood to ignore some pseudo trainers advice
Exactly true. I trained my son on the bench, then nearly everyone he talked to told him he was doing it wrong. He's never seen anyone using an arch, working on tightness, or mustering leg drive. Neither have I. Which is why machines are so popular; most people just don't know how to do barbell lifts.

Awards
  • Established
I know for me personally I find DB's easier on my joints (Elbows/ Delts). You get pretty restricted with a Barbell having your hands restricted in the horizontal plane. This greatly increases the pressure on your joints. When I perform DB presses, I don't have near as much of a ROM in my elbow movement (I perform the exercise with DB's starting at the bottom wide, and coming closer together at the top versus my hands being ~3 ft apart throughout the rep). I find that there is a lot more chest contraction and pump when I use DB's.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I'm pretty sure were all shooting in the dark here, since without video or a lot of info, it's hard to see what's wrong.

But for the sake of throwing this out there, how's your posture? Do you have hunched or turned in shoulders/weak rhomboids?

timvalen

timvalen

Awards
My shoulders are beyond repair (rotator cuff), I have to settle for smith and db bench and I'm happy I can, at least, do those. Be well...

compudog

compudog

Awards
Thanks Guys!

The problem with a smith machine is that the bar path is restricted. I tried a smith bench once and it nearly killed my shoulders when the bar got to the bottom. I think the smith is really unsafe, and I'm certain it's not feasible for heavy lifting. I suggest you learn how to setup properly for a bench press, it's not simple, and then practice with just the bar until you feel comfortable with the movement i.e. no shoulder or elbow weirdness, then start slowly adding weight, 5 lb at a time. The idea is to train yourself in the motion, not to lift heavy weights, at least, not at first. If you can't do it at all now then it's unreasonable to think you should be able to lift heavy. Learn the motion, learn to lift light weights, then moderate weights. You shouldn't need a spotter for a long while, until you get to some really heavy weight that you're unsure of.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
better form, lighter weight will always surpass neglected form, heavy weight and will take some stress off the front delts

bill1369

Awards
Hey Guys - Can someone give me a little advice?

I have some serious arthritis in my left shoulder. The Dr says "operate!" and I say "No" b/c already had had same done to right shoulder and it's 4 mos+ away from gym to recover and I also lost some strength. So, I will put surgery off forever, if I can.

The standard bench press hurts me too much (but decline and incline not so much pain). I have switched to DB presses and they are much less painful with the free shoulder movement. So, my Q's

I begin my dumbbell press with palms facing out to my feet. What is the difference in strength & muscles used if at the top my palms are still facing out or if they are facing together? What difference would it make to start the DB press with palms facing each other? I guess basically I am asking if there is a correct/incorrect way to dumb bell press?

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

compudog

compudog

Awards

I have some serious arthritis in my left shoulder. The Dr says "operate!" and I say "No" b/c already had had same done to right shoulder and it's 4 mos+ away from gym to recover and I also lost some strength. So, I will put surgery off forever, if I can.

The standard bench press hurts me too much (but decline and incline not so much pain). I have switched to DB presses and they are much less painful with the free shoulder movement. So, my Q's

I begin my dumbbell press with palms facing out to my feet. What is the difference in strength & muscles used if at the top my palms are still facing out or if they are facing together? What difference would it make to start the DB press with palms facing each other? I guess basically I am asking if there is a correct/incorrect way to dumb bell press?

According to Jim Wendler it doesn't make much difference how you do a dumbbell press, which makes sense. A rep is a rep, the ROM is basically the same no matter how you do it. Personally I go with what's easiest so I can use heavier weights. In your case I'd say whatever causes the least discomfort.

For what it's worth, there's a guy who works out at my gym who is somewhat older than me, about 60 I think. He told me he has arthritis and he also said it's worse when he *doesn't* work out. I would have thought working out would aggravate it but he said no.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I prefer dbs but just started doing barbell incline and flat again and I feel like I'm just not used it. Can't tell which I like better. Its always gold to take a break from either one.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards

If you keep your palms facing each other (neutral grip) for the entire time you are dumbbell pressing you will putting much more emphasis on the triceps than the pronated grip. There is no correct or incorrect way to train the dumbbell press. Various grips have their own respective applications. I use dumbbell floor presses with a neutral grip to train the triceps but when pressing off a flat bench I use a pronated grip.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
According to Jim Wendler it doesn't make much difference how you do a dumbbell press, which makes sense. A rep is a rep, the ROM is basically the same no matter how you do it. Personally I go with what's easiest so I can use heavier weights. In your case I'd say whatever causes the least discomfort.

For what it's worth, there's a guy who works out at my gym who is somewhat older than me, about 60 I think. He told me he has arthritis and he also said it's worse when he *doesn't* work out. I would have thought working out would aggravate it but he said no.
Almost makes me think there's an escalation of cytokines or hormones that help clear out the inflammatory hormones from tissues sometime after exercise (in order to downregulate the hypertrophic response that's somewhat mediated by an acute inflammatory response), and that somehow that helps treat the pain caused by chronic inflammation in arthritis.