Flat Barbell Bench Press Is It Mostly Just Ego?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Yeah but at the top of the movement with DB's, even touching them together, has more of a downward force than a squeezing together force. That's why I say cables FTW since there is dominant pec force throughout the entire movement.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.78%

I'm not at all surprised this turned into a PL vs BB pissing match of sorts.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.47%

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    Yeah but at the top of the movement with DB's, even touching them together, has more of a downward force than a squeezing together force. That's why I say cables FTW since there is dominant pec force throughout the entire movement.
    im in on this too. no science backing me whatsoever. but i just feel like cables are dominant in pec contraction. decline chest press machine too.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.28%

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    It shouldn't be a competition, though. While there were a lot of questions asked, I think most of them are about bodybuilding. I think our points about good form on the bench have been made, but basically if he wants to not touch the flat bench press ever again that's his prerogative and he could definitely make the most gains he'd ever make using things other than flat bench press. Hell, flat bench press isn't even in most of the programs that people using DC training use, including Olympian 212's runner-up Dave Henry.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.78%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    It shouldn't be a competition, though. While there were a lot of questions asked, I think most of them are about bodybuilding. I think our points about good form on the bench have been made, but basically if he wants to not touch the flat bench press ever again that's his prerogative and he could definitely make the most gains he'd ever make using things other than flat bench press. Hell, flat bench press isn't even in most of the programs that people using DC training use, including Olympian 212's runner-up Dave Henry.
    Yeah Dante is absolutely anti-flat bench.

My thoughts on flat bench fall on both sides; as a PL I love it, but not because it shows of bad ass chest strength. For us, it's a TEST of functionality, and multiple system strength. I don't use flat bench to get a stronger chest, either.

Weighted Dips, incline DB FTW.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

i don't know if it's a pissing match....its more about what the OP is interested in which would help make the answers easier

it depends on if he likes powerlifting then the form being discussed and bench press are more important....if it's bodybuilding, then that form and flat bench aren't as useful and theres better options out there for size and shape...like u stated dips, dorian yates loved decline movements as well
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.41%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post

Best For Overall Chest Mass: Dumbbell Bench PressRecent research from Las Vegas based StrengthPro Inc., headed by David Sandler, MS, CSCS, showed that the dumbbell bench press involves the front delts far less than the barbell bench press, since the arms come out to the sides more with dumbbells. Less delt involvement means more pec stimulation, which is exactly what you want for maximal chest development.
    This I agree with completely. Builds plenty of mass on the chest with less delt involvement. Which means less chance of having to need surgery to repair a tear of the Labrum or Rotator Cuff.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.21%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Saying that "you shouldn't learn to bench from Dave Tate because he hurt his shoulders" is like saying you shouldn't learn to pitch a baseball from Roy Halladay because he is having shoulder surgery, you shouldn't learn to be a running back from Adrian Peterson because he got an ACL injury, etc.
    Don't learn how to play basketball from Kevin Ware HAHAHA

I have found that decline bench has been way better on my shoulders than flat. The way I can set my back on the bench feels better. I'm trying to move this into flat but to no avail
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.55%

some people might ding flat bench
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.41%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mariscal View Post
    some people might ding flat bench
    ????????
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  161 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.9%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    The bench press is still an effective exercise for developing the chest, anterior deltas and triceps. Is it right for everyone? Not those with shoulder issues, no.
    With my shoulder issues , i prefer to use the Smith machine, and it works well, much to the chagrin of my gym broscience PhDs
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Invycktus View Post
    With my shoulder issues , i prefer to use the Smith machine, and it works well, much to the chagrin of my gym broscience PhDs
    Ah man. I feel like I was just trapped into advocating the smith machine! What kind of shoulder issues are you dealing with because I can't say I am a proponent of the unnatural movement patterns that the smith machine forces
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.09%

Quote Originally Posted by Invycktus View Post
    using the smith machine and thinking its better is broscience. even thinking that shows you have a lot of education you need to get things right.

you can argue all you want, but you are not arguing against me. you will be arguing against facs. and to define fact:
    1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
    2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true:
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  161 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.9%

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    Ah man. I feel like I was just trapped into advocating the smith machine! What kind of shoulder issues are you dealing with because I can't say I am a proponent of the unnatural movement patterns that the smith machine forces
    It was a joke pal!
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  161 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.9%

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    using the smith machine and thinking its better is broscience. even thinking that shows you have a lot of education you need to get things right.

you can argue all you want, but you are not arguing against me. you will be arguing against facs. and to define fact:
    1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
    2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true:

Lighten up man! It was a joke!
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  161 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.9%

If you must really know my .02, I am not a fan of the Flat BB press, i prefer the DB to it, gives me much better results.

Also some folks like my brother in law, have shoulder issues which kind of makes it difficult for them to lift the BB in the first place, so they may choose a different option.

I am not an advocate of either, rather indifferent, but dissing one for piping up the other, is borderline broscience because it assumes one size fits all. You can never with all your degrees and education etc predict what sort of shoulder issues anyone who uses DB or Smith or BB actually has. Its about knowing what works for you.

Overall I am aware that BB is better, and Smith works better for isolation work (iirc Coop said this)
    MEM->DCA->PHL->MEM
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.8%

the best way to get better at the flat bench is to do flat bench.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.86%

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Just do the exercise correctly and there won't be shoulder injury.
    For the most part; yeah. Some people though due to joint dysfunction, connective tissue disorders or other congenital issues with their anatomy are predisposed to injury there and don't know it until they've tried something hard enough.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Flat BB bench press I don't like you no mo'
    By AutoKal47 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
  2. Dumbbell or barbell bench press
    By butrybench555 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
  3. when is it most effective to inject?
    By sportsbro21 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 11:08 PM
  4. Is there anyone who doesn't flat bench press at all?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 02:45 PM
  5. rev bench press is this any good
    By bigrich954rr in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 04:04 AM