How low do you squat?

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Alway squat knee to hip... Unless I'm doin Anderson's but those are for another purpose.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

If not going deep, you emphasize the quads and neglect the posterior chain. This is what's bad for the knees. I go a2g as much as possible.
  3. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    If not going deep, you emphasize the quads and neglect the posterior chain. This is what's bad for the knees. I go a2g as much as possible.
    I saw something recently, (possibly on another forum) it was a study that showed squatting past parallel didn't increase posterior chain activation anymore than just squatting parallel.

Ill try to dig it up on my phone, but no promises.

Edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12173958/

It was shown that the posterior chain was just as active during a parallel squat but the quadriceps were activated MORE in the ATG squat. So a full squat actually emphasizes that quads more, and by your reasoning, is detrimental to the knees (although I don't tend to agree with that sentiment). Also, its important to consider that ATG squats utilize less weight (generally) because of leverage so the difference in quad activation when taken to 90% 1RM may be less with ATG simply because of the weight difference.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I saw something recently, (possibly on another forum) it was a study that showed squatting past parallel didn't increase posterior chain activation anymore than just squatting parallel.

Ill try to dig it up on my phone, but no promises.

Edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12173958/

It was shown that the posterior chain was just as active during a parallel squat but the quadriceps were activated MORE in the ATG squat. So a full squat actually emphasizes that quads more, and by your reasoning, is detrimental to the knees (although I don't tend to agree with that sentiment). Also, its important to consider that ATG squats utilize less weight (generally) because of leverage so the difference in quad activation when taken to 90% 1RM may be less with ATG simply because of the weight difference.
    Yes, I can definitely squat more @ parallel or box @ parallel vs a2g. Also when going all the way down, it is easy to bounce out of the hole which may or may not be good vs slow eccentric.

But for me, I never go less than parallel. After all, everyone can squat 500 for 2 inches...
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  220 lbs.
  6. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post

Yes, I can definitely squat more @ parallel or box @ parallel vs a2g. Also when going all the way down, it is easy to bounce out of the hole which may or may not be good vs slow eccentric.

But for me, I never go less than parallel. After all, everyone can squat 500 for 2 inches...
    I would never advise anyone to go less than parallel.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.

Going ATG absolutely destroys my legs and can barely walk the next two days where if I don't go ATG I get less DOMS
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.

i was going almost ass to ground for awhile, but as i've increased my load i'm back to going about parallel.
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.

i broke my hip when i was 19 (38 now). maybe that's why atg squats aren't as comfortable for me.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

4 knee surgeries here and when i was squatting 315 for reps to just barely parallel my knee wud be sore and tender for days..stripped the wieght started atg and worked my way back up to 275 for reps..its improved my flexability of the joint tenfold and no more pain..my knee feels so good i dont even bother taking joint support supps anymore
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How Often Do You Squat?
    By Hyde in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM
  2. Tall dudes how low do you squat?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 12:40 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 09:49 PM