How low do you squat?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Banned

I have read that ATG is actually better than paralell.They weresaying that paralell is your knees most unstable position,and that stopping there and going back up places lots of stress on the knees.As opposed to going down untill you can't go anymore.Being stopped by your body.They were mentioning how docs and rehab people test the stability of the knee by doing things to it when it's bent at 90% becuse this is the most unstable position for the knee.Another good point they made was how people who complain of sq's hurting their knees always use the leg extension.Just think about the stress that puts on your knees!This was from an article at T-nation.In case you can't tell,I always sq ATG!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

parallel for most of my sets, though i have been known to finish below that on the last one or two.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.

How long do I squat? I can get off the pot in under 10 minutes no problem, but I have this cousin who's 350 lbs (all fat) who brings 1k page hardcover novels with him. I think he read up to book 8 or 9 of the wheel of time series that way...
    •   

4. jng
    Stats
    5'4"  0 lbs.

after squatting till my ass almost hits the floor for about 2 months i earned myself huge stretch marks across both buttocks
    goood luck lol
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  235.9 lbs.

If my ass ain't touching my calves, it ain't low enuff.....
  6. jpk
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Besides how low you go, how high do you stand up? Do you lock your knees out, thereby removing all tension from the muscles? Does anybody stand up just short of lockout when squatting?

Just curious boys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  235.9 lbs.

I do bottow half reps on my volume days, go all the way down and come half way up. Talk about killing ya quads.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I do parallel. Had surgery on right knee. Can't go ass down.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I switch them up. i did ATG for years. You really have to lower the weight on atg, my average weight was only 225-4-6 x's on a truly ass to ground . parrell, these are good for leg development, sometimes its hard to gauge whether I'm actually parallel,and Im close so its all good. I may record myself or have a friend tell me,and half squats have their place, like for bringing up the upper quads. I switch them up.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

As long as you don't have any physical limitations (knee injuries, etc) you should be using your full range of motion.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

also remember I'm taking about the squat.

not the hack squat, or other squat machines. I always go down very low on this, the leg press.Arnold recommends half squats for someone to really blow up their upper quads in his modern day encyclopedia. and these have always packed on huge mass on my entire upper leg.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  12. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jpk View Post
    Besides how low you go, how high do you stand up? Do you lock your knees out, thereby removing all tension from the muscles? Does anybody stand up just short of lockout when squatting?

Just curious boys

I don't lock out on any exercises.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  235.9 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    An inch below parallel, anything lower and im history...when i was 21 i did ATG but now that im over 30, i wouldnt dare try it...

Well, actually i did but now i know why i wouldnt try it again...
    Why?
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackMurphy View Post
    I think parallel is fine. I enjoy ATG, but I think the emphasis on ATG is a little overblown. ATG forces max effort, of course, especially by the quads at the start of the contraction, by hams and glutes for the rest of it.

But very few of us ONLY do squats, in which case you'll have another shot to hit your quads more directly, with more precise intensity. Leg extensions, presses, smith squats - whatever else you do, you can get your quads a little more.

Also, remember that going ATG can easily cause knee-related complaints in lifters who aren't already experienced and flexible. It's great if you can do it pain-free, but it's just a rough bet to make. If you hae no pain now, that's great, but I know a number of guys who had no knee issues UNTIL they started doing ATG on squats. And this was on varying foot placements.

I go to parallel now, and I find I can control my proximity to failure much better than with ATG. Squats rule for absolute leg size, but I think you have to consider your whole routine as the size-generator, not a single portion of one lift. Squats for overall thickness, extensions and presses for quads.

I dont know them personally, but too much could have been a factor.

I use less weight, go ATG and slower.........I love the results that have I reaped from this method.

To each his own, i commend any guy who actually makes an effort at the squats and deads..................

Even the 3 inch squatters........lol
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I did parallel the other day(MIGHT HAVE BEEN LOWER) REMEMBER WHEN IN DOUBT IF YOU THINK ITS NOT PARALLEL , GO LOWER is a saying I learned from Max-ot.

O and pausing at the bottom and not bouncing out(that's a cause of bad knees)
  16. Banned

I have leaned do do paralell when hitting hams first,and ATG when hitting quads first.I feel my hams too much if I work them first and then do ATG sq's.That being said,last time I did paralell my tear drops were extremely sore.I have always heard the deeper you sq the more the tear drops get worked...........But paralell did just fine.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  290 lbs.

Narrow stance, ass to grass. I used to squat "sumo style" but i got tired of hearing all the **** talking about how my 750 belt only squat didnt count because i wasnt deep enough ( mostly from the thinner guys under 205) I squat less AND i officially cant find pants that fit anymore thanks to my quads and ass exploding to cartoonish size (look too big even on my 290 pound frame). It was a setup damn it!
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

That's a good 5 year bump to a 9 year old thread.

But when in Rome..

Below parallel squat. ATG high bar oly squat and front squat as assistance.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nodgodbod View Post
    How low do you people go when squating? - is there any advantage of going "ass to the grass"? or are you just damaging your knees?
    I've always squated down so that my upper leg is parallel to the floor - just wondering what you guys thought?
    once you go past parallel stress comes off your knees and is primarily on your hips. \
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  290 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    That's a good 5 year bump to a 9 year old thread.

Hot damn i didnt even notice the age on this thing.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Alway squat knee to hip... Unless I'm doin Anderson's but those are for another purpose.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

If not going deep, you emphasize the quads and neglect the posterior chain. This is what's bad for the knees. I go a2g as much as possible.
  23. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post
    If not going deep, you emphasize the quads and neglect the posterior chain. This is what's bad for the knees. I go a2g as much as possible.
    I saw something recently, (possibly on another forum) it was a study that showed squatting past parallel didn't increase posterior chain activation anymore than just squatting parallel.

Ill try to dig it up on my phone, but no promises.

Edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12173958/

It was shown that the posterior chain was just as active during a parallel squat but the quadriceps were activated MORE in the ATG squat. So a full squat actually emphasizes that quads more, and by your reasoning, is detrimental to the knees (although I don't tend to agree with that sentiment). Also, its important to consider that ATG squats utilize less weight (generally) because of leverage so the difference in quad activation when taken to 90% 1RM may be less with ATG simply because of the weight difference.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    I saw something recently, (possibly on another forum) it was a study that showed squatting past parallel didn't increase posterior chain activation anymore than just squatting parallel.

Ill try to dig it up on my phone, but no promises.

Edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12173958/

It was shown that the posterior chain was just as active during a parallel squat but the quadriceps were activated MORE in the ATG squat. So a full squat actually emphasizes that quads more, and by your reasoning, is detrimental to the knees (although I don't tend to agree with that sentiment). Also, its important to consider that ATG squats utilize less weight (generally) because of leverage so the difference in quad activation when taken to 90% 1RM may be less with ATG simply because of the weight difference.
    Yes, I can definitely squat more @ parallel or box @ parallel vs a2g. Also when going all the way down, it is easy to bounce out of the hole which may or may not be good vs slow eccentric.

But for me, I never go less than parallel. After all, everyone can squat 500 for 2 inches...
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  220 lbs.
  26. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by threeFs View Post

Yes, I can definitely squat more @ parallel or box @ parallel vs a2g. Also when going all the way down, it is easy to bounce out of the hole which may or may not be good vs slow eccentric.

But for me, I never go less than parallel. After all, everyone can squat 500 for 2 inches...
    I would never advise anyone to go less than parallel.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  146 lbs.

Going ATG absolutely destroys my legs and can barely walk the next two days where if I don't go ATG I get less DOMS
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.

i was going almost ass to ground for awhile, but as i've increased my load i'm back to going about parallel.
  29. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.

i broke my hip when i was 19 (38 now). maybe that's why atg squats aren't as comfortable for me.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

4 knee surgeries here and when i was squatting 315 for reps to just barely parallel my knee wud be sore and tender for days..stripped the wieght started atg and worked my way back up to 275 for reps..its improved my flexability of the joint tenfold and no more pain..my knee feels so good i dont even bother taking joint support supps anymore
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How Often Do You Squat?
    By Hyde in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM
  2. Tall dudes how low do you squat?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 12:40 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 09:49 PM