How low do you squat?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Pirate
    If you can't hit squats deep, then don't do them, ride the sled...

-Pirate
    The sled as good as normal squats for building bulk?

2. Olympic style then ass to the grass. If its more powerlifting type squat mechanics, then parallel. If you squat med-wide then when you site back, unless you have freakishly flexiable hips then your back will round after you hit parallel. Good Luck
    •   

3. lol, people need to look at post dates to see that a thread is 2years old before they bring it back up.

4. when you guys say paralell you mean so that it looks like your sitting in an invisble chair right?

5. Quote Originally Posted by bishop17 View Post
    when you guys say paralell you mean so that it looks like your sitting in an invisble chair right?
    Yea that is what they mean, your legs should be parallel with the floor, so like sitting in a chair, if not lower (depending on if your knees hurt or not)
    •   

6. ass to ankles

7. Quote Originally Posted by bishop17 View Post
    when you guys say paralell you mean so that it looks like your sitting in an invisble chair right?
    top of thighs are parallel to floor

8. You gotta bury it bro. Every pro I've ever trained with or asked this question too has said the same thing, "YOU GOTTA BURY IT!!!" It's much harder and when transitioning from what I like to call the "modern" squat, to a real squat your weights will innevitably go down, but that's not because you're weaker, it's because you are now hitting all of the muscles you should be when you squat instead of just your a$$.

9. if you want more emphasis on the quads it's best to have a naarrow stance (roughly shoulder width) feet straight forward, and heals raised

A wider stance and the "sitting back" effect with heals flat will utilize the glutes and hamis to a greater extent, but will obviously still work the quads pretty well

just as long as your not one of those f*ck tards that loads up the bar and stands wide as **** with their feet pointed out at a 45 degree angle, and does little half squats

10. I have pretty much always gone ATG. Squatting actually seems harder to me when you only go parallel. I seem to have a lot of strength/spring loaded right out of the hole.

11. An inch below parallel, anything lower and im history...when i was 21 i did ATG but now that im over 30, i wouldnt dare try it...

Well, actually i did but now i know why i wouldnt try it again...

12. Depends on the day for me. Sometimes it feels better to go ATG. Sometimes I just go parallel or a tad past parallel. Also depends if I am doing wide stance, narrow stance, or front squats. I always go by feel on exercises. Sometimes I like to keep tension on a muscle so I don't lock out, sometimes I do lock out. You have to go with what yields results. I think that going ATG is optimal though. And easier on the knees, which is opposite of what many believe.

13. I know this thread is old but today was the first time I had ever gone as low as my physiology allows -- well past parallel, to the point where my ass almost touches the floor..

I had to lower the weight cause I was weary about going so low, and I was using 5x5, so I just did 245 and it felt so good!

Case in point -- I found my new favorite exercise EVER -- holy **** do those feel amazing! If your knees can handle it I highly suggest giving them a shot..

14. Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I know this thread is old but today was the first time I had ever gone as low as my physiology allows -- well past parallel, to the point where my ass almost touches the floor..

I had to lower the weight cause I was weary about going so low, and I was using 5x5, so I just did 245 and it felt so good!

Case in point -- I found my new favorite exercise EVER -- holy **** do those feel amazing! If your knees can handle it I highly suggest giving them a shot..

going this way actually helped relieve some of the shin splint pain I get when I run ... ATG, feet flat ... love it

15. I have read that ATG is actually better than paralell.They weresaying that paralell is your knees most unstable position,and that stopping there and going back up places lots of stress on the knees.As opposed to going down untill you can't go anymore.Being stopped by your body.They were mentioning how docs and rehab people test the stability of the knee by doing things to it when it's bent at 90% becuse this is the most unstable position for the knee.Another good point they made was how people who complain of sq's hurting their knees always use the leg extension.Just think about the stress that puts on your knees!This was from an article at T-nation.In case you can't tell,I always sq ATG!

16. parallel for most of my sets, though i have been known to finish below that on the last one or two.

17. How long do I squat? I can get off the pot in under 10 minutes no problem, but I have this cousin who's 350 lbs (all fat) who brings 1k page hardcover novels with him. I think he read up to book 8 or 9 of the wheel of time series that way...

18. after squatting till my ass almost hits the floor for about 2 months i earned myself huge stretch marks across both buttocks
    goood luck lol

19. If my ass ain't touching my calves, it ain't low enuff.....

20. Besides how low you go, how high do you stand up? Do you lock your knees out, thereby removing all tension from the muscles? Does anybody stand up just short of lockout when squatting?

Just curious boys

21. I do bottow half reps on my volume days, go all the way down and come half way up. Talk about killing ya quads.

22. I do parallel. Had surgery on right knee. Can't go ass down.

23. I switch them up. i did ATG for years. You really have to lower the weight on atg, my average weight was only 225-4-6 x's on a truly ass to ground . parrell, these are good for leg development, sometimes its hard to gauge whether I'm actually parallel,and Im close so its all good. I may record myself or have a friend tell me,and half squats have their place, like for bringing up the upper quads. I switch them up.
    Facebook Great Physique Fitness
    Twitter SmetonFitness
    Youtube JohnSmetonFitness1

24. As long as you don't have any physical limitations (knee injuries, etc) you should be using your full range of motion.

25. also remember I'm taking about the squat.

not the hack squat, or other squat machines. I always go down very low on this, the leg press.Arnold recommends half squats for someone to really blow up their upper quads in his modern day encyclopedia. and these have always packed on huge mass on my entire upper leg.
    Facebook Great Physique Fitness
    Twitter SmetonFitness
    Youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Tall dudes how low do you squat?
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 01:40 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 10:49 PM
  3. How Well Do You Know Your Flax?