My up and coming split...

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Here's a split that I intend to do for the next 6 months or so (tweaking it around of course to avoid plateaus)

Day 1: Legs

--Alternate between 8x8 Squats and the 20 Rep Squat every other workout

--SLDL 3x8-10, alternate with 3x8-10 lying leg curls

---Standing Calf Raises 5x10, and seated calf raises 5x6

Day 2: Chest/Back

--Alternate between 8x8 Incline Barbell or incline DB presses and their 20 rep equivalents every other workout (ex: one workout do 8x8 DB press, next workout do 20 Rep DB press, next do 8x8 Incline BB press, next workout do 20 rep Incline BB press)

--8x8 bent-over rows or deadlifts and their 20 rep equivalents (same format of switching as the chest exercises, except on the day I do 8x8 of chest I do the 20 rep back exercise and visa versa)

--Pull-Ups (on the 20 rep day) 3x10-12

--DB Flyes ( on the 20 rep day) 3x10-12

Shrugs: 5x8 (heavy as possible)

Day 3: off

Day 4: Arms/Shoulders/abs

Bis: 8x8 straight bar curls (or EZ bar curls depending on how my wrists react [pain and whatnot])

Tris: 8x8 dips (with added weight if possible) interchange with skull crushers every other workout

shoulders: upright rows 5x8

Abs: all kinds of cool stuff ;)

Alright boys...tear it apart

LG. :cool:

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

Day 2: Chest/Back

--Alternate between 8x8 Incline Barbell or incline DB presses and their 20 rep equivalents every other workout (ex: one workout do 8x8 DB press, next workout do 20 Rep DB press, next do 8x8 Incline BB press, next workout do 20 rep Incline BB press)

--8x8 bent-over rows or deadlifts and their 20 rep equivalents (same format of switching as the chest exercises, except on the day I do 8x8 of chest I do the 20 rep back exercise and visa versa)

--Pull-Ups (on the 20 rep day) 3x10-12

--DB Flyes ( on the 20 rep day) 3x10-12

Shrugs: 5x8 (heavy as possible)
Deadlifts and BOBBRs work two different muscles. Im sure you know this, just wondering why you're alternationg them. Not sure why you're not doing more power moves for chest, like flat bench, or decline. Dips are great, props for that
Im not a fan of flys for bulking.

Day 4: Arms/Shoulders/abs

Bis: 8x8 straight bar curls (or EZ bar curls depending on how my wrists react [pain and whatnot])

Tris: 8x8 dips (with added weight if possible) interchange with skull crushers every other workout

shoulders: upright rows 5x8
Not sure why shrugs arent included with shoulders. I would ass dumbells to my bi's routine, never would do bi's without dumbell work. If you stick stricly with barbell work, its inevitable that your primary arm will aid your weaker one over time, if you can avoid this, great, but most can. I like isolation dumbells for bi's, but to each his own. Not sure why you wouldnt do close grip bench, dips and skull crushers for tris. Thats the greatest mass combination out there.

And Im assuming days 5, 6 and 7 are off days? or you're going to work muscle groups multiple times a week?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ouch....squats 8x8 or 20 repper (brutal)
for deads and bb rows, i think they are good choices. Two real basic mass building exercises, and i think the reasoning for switching between the two lies in more the fact that he'll be hitting the back with heavy mass building movements, than trying to hit the same target area of the back with two different exercise. I personally would do rack deads (parital deads) to be able to use higher weight and emphasize the involvement of the back and traps more, and taking out some of the leg work. (you will be toasted from the leg day before).

good point yj regarding the use of db's to compensate for the weaker of the two arms....however again,LG, your choices would have been mine as well for the bi/tris. (however, i most likely would use close grips or skulls cuz no matter how narrow i point my elbows in, and/or keep my plane of motion straight up and down, my chest gets worked...

I acutally like flys but for a mass building purpose, i would stick with flys, however go lower rep (even though this exercise, you plan on doing for more of a "burn-out" movement) and do 3x5...will really stretch you out at the bottom and build you some terrains for you inner pecs (maybe vallys a better world for the look you want...ha)

Upright rows is great...however, to have picked this for your main shoulder exercise,....quesitonable. I would lean towards a pressing movement (military to front, beind neck, even db presses or arnolds) before upright but hey...i love em too!! just love em.....

your split and plans is pretty hard to "tear" apart cuz you have good choices as far as main bodybuilding/mass building exercises....just some ideas for you to think about.

If i had to change up one thing about this routine, especially if it was me doing em (knowing how i feel about back after leg day i would take the deadlift and make em into partial deads from the rack....i just couldt hit the lower body again, only 24 hours after douching it away. Others changes i might make, are only opinions so i think you set man. Sage

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
I came up with that split in about 3 minutes ;) ...so I will make adjustments (many :p )

I'll be back with some new ideas

LG. :cool: