I NEED A NEW ROUTINE!!!!!

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I have been lifting for about 5 year now and I am looking for a mass building routine. I am looking for something a little lest conventional. for example here is my workout...

Sat: Chest and Tris (medium weight) chest 4 exercises at sets of 5, tri 4 exercises at sets of 4
Sun: Back and Bi's (medium weight) back 4 excercises at sets of 5, bi 4 exercises at sets of 4
Mon: Legs (heavy) 4 exercises at sets of 5
Tues: Chest and posterior shoulders (heavy) chest 4 excercises at sets of 6, post 3 excercise at 4
Wed arms (heavy) 3 exercises at sets of 6 for both
(back day includes heavy partial dealifts and leg day includes heavy swats)

I want to know where I can get some info on some less conventional routines as I am not growing off this one anymore. I saw something about squating for sets of 20 (swat and milk thread). I know this is old school and probably conventional to some. Basically I am just looking for a new routine.

bigswole30

bigswole30

Awards
  • Established
I have been lifting for about 5 year now and I am looking for a mass building routine. I am looking for something a little lest conventional. for example here is my workout...

Sat: Chest and Tris (medium weight) chest 4 exercises at sets of 5, tri 4 exercises at sets of 4
Sun: Back and Bi's (medium weight) back 4 excercises at sets of 5, bi 4 exercises at sets of 4
Mon: Legs (heavy) 4 exercises at sets of 5
Tues: Chest and posterior shoulders (heavy) chest 4 excercises at sets of 6, post 3 excercise at 4
Wed arms (heavy) 3 exercises at sets of 6 for both
(back day includes heavy partial dealifts and leg day includes heavy swats)

I want to know where I can get some info on some less conventional routines as I am not growing off this one anymore. I saw something about squating for sets of 20 (swat and milk thread). I know this is old school and probably conventional to some. Basically I am just looking for a new routine.
This is the best routine I have ever used!

Back

POWER:week 1
-rack deadlift...3 x 3-6
-bent row...3 x 4-6
-weighted chin...2-3 x 4-6
-CG seated row...2-3 x 4-6

REP RANGE:week 2
-CG weighted chin...2 x 6-8
-WG T-Bar row...2 x 8-10
-dumbell row...2 x 10-12
-pullover...2 x 12-15

SHOCK:week 3
-pullover/WG pulldown superset...1-2 x 8-10 each
-stiff arm pulldown/reverse grip bent row...1-2 x 8-10 each
-CG seated pully row dropset...1 x 6-8, drop, 6-8, drop, 6-8

Arms

week 1: power

-barbell curl...2 x 4-6
-preacher curl...2 x 4-6
-hammer curl...1-2 x 4-6
-CG bench press...3 x 4-6
-skull crush...2 x 4-6
-single arm dumbell extension...1-2 x 4-6

week 2: rep range

-alternating dumbell curl...2 x 6-8
-cable curl...2 x 8-10
-concentration curl...1-2 x 10-12
-weighted dip...3 x 6-8
-pushdown...2 x 8-10
-kickback...1-2 x 10-12

week 3: shock

-ez bar curl/CG chin superset...1 x 6-10 each
-preacher curl/reverse curl superset...1 x 6-10 each
-DROPSET cable single arm curl...1 x 6-10, drop 6-10
-pushdown/CG bench press superset...1-2 x 6-10 each
-reverse grip pushdown/incline overhead extension superset...1-2 x 6-10 each
-DROPSET weighted bench dip...1 x 8-10, drop 8-10

Chest

-dumbell bench press...3 x 4-6
-incline press...3 x 4-6
-weighted dips...2 x 4-6

-incline dumbell press...3 x 6-8
-bench press...3 x 8-10
-flye...2 x 10-12

-superset...cable crossover/incline smith press...1-2 x 8-10 reps each
-superset...incline flye/dips...1 x 8-10 reps each
-dropset...machine bench press...1 x 8-10, drop 6-8, drop 6-8 optional

Delts

-military press...2-3 x 4-6
-upright row...2-3 x 4-6
-"cheat" lateral...2 x 4-6

-single arm dumbell press...2 x 6-8
-bent lateral...2-3 x 8-10
-cable side lateral...2 x 10-12

-seated side lateral/hammer machine press superset...1-2 x 8-10
-reverse pec deck/WG upright row superset...1-2 x 8-10
-cable front raise dropset...1 x 6-8, drop 6-8, drop 6-8 optional

Legs

-squats...3 x 4-6
-leg press...3 x 4-6
-single leg extension...2 x 4-6
-lying leg curl...3 x 4-6
-stiff deadlift...2-3 x 4-6

-leg extension...2 x 8-10
-hack squat...3 x 10-12
-one legged leg press...3 x 12-15
-lying leg curl...2 x 6-8
-stiff deadlift...2 x 8-10
-single leg curl or seated leg curl...1-2 x 10-12

-superset: leg extension/front squat...1-2 x 8-10 each
-superset: leg extension/sissy squat or leg press...1-2 x 8-10 each
-dropset: lunge...1 x 8-10, drop, 8-10
-superset: leg curl seated or lying/toes pointed hyperextension...1-2 x 8-10 each
-dropset: single leg curl...1-2 x 8-10, drop, 8-10

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Nice routine Swole! <cut 'n paste>

I would add weighted dips. I typically pyramid from 20-70lbs, 6 sets, occasionally to failure. I attempt to kick my legs back to isolate the chest rather than the traps.

bigswole30

bigswole30

Awards
  • Established
Nice routine Swole! <cut 'n paste>

I would add weighted dips. I typically pyramid from 20-70lbs, 6 sets, occasionally to failure. I attempt to kick my legs back to isolate the chest rather than the traps.
Yup, that was a cut and paste job, but I have been following the routine for almost a year. It was designed by one of my co-workers here at VPX.

size

Awards
  • Established
Unconventional -> Discontinue lifting and instead meditate/visualize for 75minutes each day that your muscles are growing. Do this for 6 weeks then return to lifting.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Yup, that was a cut and paste job, but I have been following the routine for almost a year. It was designed by one of my co-workers here at VPX.
Nah, Bro... meaning it was worth a cut 'n paste on my end. =)

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
rofl @ size...

might wanna try a normal routine that doesnt involve working out 5 times a day and working out muscle groups twice a week with the high volume that you're doing...

i'd take 2 weeks off and try a 3 day or 4 day split with less volume or even switch over to high-intensity training for a while (less sets, more failure)...

unconventional doesnt mean good either; size was trying to make that point :)

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I seemed to get nothing out of training each muscle once a week. I need to train at least four days a week. Even at my high intensity, I dont feel over trained afterward, I dont even get that sore anymore.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
yeah your body is probably used to the serious overload and you arent aware of the symptoms...

let's play a logic game:
a) you arent growing as you should (or as you'd like) i'm assuming by asking your original question...
b) you're already doing many more sets than most of the guys on this forum use
c) you just stated that you have to workout quite a bit each week to feel that you got a good workout
d) you obviously arent getting a good workout from it because of reason 'a'

I train each muscle group about 1.5 times a week, i dont go for splits that have a 7 day stretch, mine span over about 5-6 days (whereas i've seen others go for 9ish)

Can you honestly say you gave it a concentrated effort when training each muscle group once a week? There's a reason most guys use a once a week theme on their routines on this forum.. because they work... there's so many different styles to choose from...

If you're looking for something off the wall and a bit different, yet you will get your ass busted up, try DoggCrapp's routine, though for most people they need to space out the workouts just a little bit more... trust me, i've used it before; its definitely a ball-buster, especially the 20 rep squats

TaPo31

Awards
I have to agree with BigSwole that the routine he posted is without a doubt the best training program I have ever used.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
Bean, what are you trying to say? your lifting each muscle group 1.5 times a week? 1.5?

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I am going to give you guys a more detailed layout of my chest days for a week and you guys tell me what you think should be changed. I lift 5-6 days a week....I change up the exercise from week to week, but just to give you an idea....

Day 1 Chest (Strength) sets of 5

Smythe Incline Bench
10@185
8@225
6@315
4@325

Regular Incline Bench
10@185
7@205
6@225
4@255
4@255

Smythe Decline Bench
10@185
8@225
6@275
4@315
4@325

Decline Bench
10@185
8@225
5@275
4@315
4@315

Day 4: Chest (Max), sets of 6

Flat Bench

10@185
10@225
8@275
4@315
3@325
1@350

Smythe Bench

10@185
10@225
7@275
5@315
3@335
1@365

Dumbell Press

10@80 in each hand
8@90 in each hand
6@100 in each hand
4@110 in each hand
2@120 in each hand
2@120 in each hand

Cable Flys
12@60 each rope
10@70
8@80
5@90
5@90
drop set 14@60

I usually get a light spot for the last 2 sets of each execise. I am usually pretty beat by the end. And my last exercise I do alot less weight than if that exercise was my first.

Chunky

Awards
Less conventionnal ?

Do HST, and start growing again :)

I didnt gain in the last 6 months of training, while on HST, when I did my 1st cycle 2 months ago, I gain 0.75 inches on my chest. Yummy !!!

timogburn

Awards
swole that sounds like an excellent routine, i'm going to give it a try.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
I am going to give you guys a more detailed layout of my chest days for a week and you guys tell me what you think should be changed. I lift 5-6 days a week....I change up the exercise from week to week, but just to give you an idea....

Day 1 Chest (Strength) sets of 5

Smythe Incline Bench
10@185
8@225
6@315
4@325

Regular Incline Bench
10@185
7@205
6@225
4@255
4@255

Smythe Decline Bench
10@185
8@225
6@275
4@315
4@325

Decline Bench
10@185
8@225
5@275
4@315
4@315

Day 4: Chest (Max), sets of 6

Flat Bench

10@185
10@225
8@275
4@315
3@325
1@350

Smythe Bench

10@185
10@225
7@275
5@315
3@335
1@365

Dumbell Press

10@80 in each hand
8@90 in each hand
6@100 in each hand
4@110 in each hand
2@120 in each hand
2@120 in each hand

Cable Flys
12@60 each rope
10@70
8@80
5@90
5@90
drop set 14@60

holy crap 40 plus sets of chest a week?!! Your shoulders must be tired as all hell from that. It looks to be ~ 132 reps (quick count) in a single workout - that's some crazy overtraining. It also looks like some of those sets are warm up sets maybe? Once you've warmed up initially there's no need to keep those 10x185 sets in there - hell you could easily get rid of the 8 and 7 rep sets too.

I'd recommend limiting your sets and exercises each workout. Keep the variety from for each workout but go w/ smith incline and regular bench then focus on tri movements such as weighted dips. Then for your chest/shoulder day go w/ declines flys and shoulder presses.

I'm not surprised you're spinning your wheels w/ this workout now but one other aspect to look at is your diet. You can be busting you ass in the gym every workout but you have to eat to see the gains....good luck getting over this hump bro

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Bean, what are you trying to say? your lifting each muscle group 1.5 times a week? 1.5?
yeah... think about it a second

1.5 times in 1 week or 3 times in 2 weeks...
i dont use a "every 7 days" schedule, i dont base my plan off of that at all

as for your workout plan, just starting to look at it... why on earth are you using the smythe machine? have you got chest injuries to where you need to use it?

you're doing way too many sets

I'll say it again, even though it wont make much of a difference... you're doing way too many sets if you've been doing this for a long time... sure its a great way to break a plateau by beating your body hard... but running it all the time only keeps your body from being able to grow as it should

you cant use your body's feeling as a measurement on how your workout is; you've become used to this kind of training... you dont have to totally destroy yourself to grow... i know you're looking at me like i'm stupid for saying it...

Anyway, i'm sick of saying the same thing over and over to people that come in here and post real questions like this, then show their workout routine (which comes up as a horrible routine for one way or another), and then keep second-guessing the people that are trying to give them advice... why second-guess someone's advice when you are the one who asked for it? :think:

I'm done in this thread.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
OK bean....no need to be a dick. I am not second guessing you, that I why I am asking questions.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
apologies for being a dick; its not you... just lots of hit-nazi threads around the forums and this just got thrown on the pile even though its on the opposite end of the spectrum

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
its better but it still seems like over kill to me. I'd alternate each week using two out of the 3 presses. Then you could probobly squeeze in another set or two of weighted dips.

Would your plan be to max out every work out or ???

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i'd save the maxing out for like once every other week at least... just do another set of 6 or so and it sorta becomes a low-rep volume routine

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
k then, I would like to lift chest twice in a 7-8 day spand, one heavy day and one rep day (4-8 rep ending) what do guys sugguest? I really dont like training chest only once in a 7-8 day period. Should I reduce my sets on this heavy day even futher? Rember I am looking for mass

Stroyer

Awards
My routine:

Quads / Hams:
Squats (bb, smith or hack) 2-3 work sets
45 degree leg press 1-2 work sets
Lying leg curl 2 work sets
Deads pyramiding up to 1 main work set

Chest / Triceps
Low incl smith press 1-2 work sets
Flat db press 1-2 work sets
Weighted dips 2 work sets
Close grip bb press or weighted dips between benches 2 work sets

Back / Biceps
Bent over smith row 2 work sets
Bent over close/neutral grip T-bar row 2 work sets
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 work sets
Standing alt db hammer curls 2 work sets
1-arm db preacher curls 1-2 work sets

Delts / Traps / Calves
Overhead db press 1-2 work sets
Db lateral raise 2 work sets
Rear delt machine 1 work set
Smith shrugs 1-2 work sets
Smith standing calve raise 1-2 work sets
Seated calve raise 1-2 work sets

Generally I warm up using a Max-Ot type of warm up prior to the first exercise of the day, for all following exercises I usually do one acclimation set then straight to the work set(s) or on some bd I may not even do an acclimation set I might just go right into the work set(s).

Stroy