Do you workout abs everyday?

1. Member

Cool Do you workout abs everyday?

ive heard that your supposed to work abs to fatigue not failure also ive heard people say "work abs everyday"
    but on the other side i hear people say "rest is very important for muscle growth"

so will i get my 8 pack cut faster by training abs everyday or should i rest them?

thanks for any info

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

your "8 pack" will only become visible from a result of cutting bodyfat. Contrary to what most think, doing a bunch of situps everyday does not burn fat from the midsection, if it burns much at all.

I train abs with heavy weight much like my other muscles once or twice a week. Basically just whenever i happen to remember them when I'm in the gym. Although I do use about 10 reps instead of my usual 5.

Also remember from a body building standpoint, to achieve the V shape to your body you want a small midsection. Therefore most of your midsection work is actually done in squats and deads, you don't really have to work them out that much.

But to answer your question- try the treadmill for a few weeks instead of the situp bench.
  3. king of useless information!!!

good post - abs come w/ cutting bodyfat. You really can't spot reduce fat in just your midsection by doing crunches, situps, etc.

I also agree w/ hypo - train them heavy once or twice a week not everyday/eod. Muscles grow out of the gym w/ rest not by slamming them everyday.
    •   

4. Registered User

That's true. Spot reduction is a myth. The body is designed to burn fat from all over rather than any one particular spot. Males are genetically predisposed to store fat in the midsection so most automatically believe crunches are the way to remove the fat.

I've read in many places that abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. I think you have gathered the 5-day week ab training routine from one of the bodybuilding mags. Those guys sure mislead people. You may want to train abs once or twice a week and incorporate some high-intensity cardio to burn off the fat. Google HIIT (high intensity interval training).

A six/eight pack is a result of diet + weight training + cardio. The wheel would topple if any one cog is missing. Do your research and design an intelligent routine consisting of all three, and stick to it for three months, at least.
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

a little off the topic, but remember the number of seperations in your abs, and if they are symetrical or offset, will depend upon genetics. So don't get discouraged if you only see 4 abs protruding, the other four aren't hiding behind fat they simply may not exist
  6. Registered User

Train your abs HEAVY once a week. Then you can be a fatass who still has abs, like me
  7. Registered User

The best abs I ever had were when I used to train them religously, in the neighbourhood of 4 times a week. Since I backed off the training they just haven't been the same. While diet is key in displaying your abs, it is quite possible to have little or no development, which would leave not much in the way of visible abs, even at lower bodyfat levels. I've seen this especially in ectomorphic body types, where the guy has barely a sliver of fat on him, but no abs to show for it.
  8. Gate Keeper

I train them twice a week with heavy weight, to failure. I'm about 11-12%bf right now and can still see my abs True abs are different muscle but their still muscles. For example your not going to build impressive biceps by just curling your arms without weight. If you want those highways and deep etches use weight.
  9. Registered User

I train them every other day.
  10. Gold Member

train them no more than 2x a week and use weight! it works
  11. Registered User

I do every other day ..........seems to be doing something...
  12. I know nothing...

I never train abs ...Still got it
  13. Registered User

Twice per week with heavy weights. I've seen the most progression by doing it this way.
  14. -Dalla Hunga-
    Somewhere between a 4x12 stack and a power rack...

Me too - just starting training abs with a heavy 12,10,8 rep scheme and Ive seen results in just 2 weeks.
  15. Registered User

What exercises do you guys find tend to garner the best results? I was performing weighted situps, until one day when I suffered a NASTY abdominal cramp that left my midsection tender for half a week.
  16. Registered User

Weighted situps on the floor with your legs free, and spread at a 45 degree angle or so, weighted situps on a decline bench, with a static hold for 5 seconds at slightly below parallel, crunches with weight on an exercise ball, the ab roller (try from your feet instead of your knees for best results) russian twists on a roman chair (these are torture for the obliques) and side bends.
  17. Registered User

I do the weighted situps on the decline bench...with a pause hold/squeeze, weighted rope-pull crunches with a pause/squeeze, weighted crunches on the execise ball, and weighted leg lifts while sitting at the end of a bench. I believe it's very important to squeeze the abs at each contraction. I don't do high reps, but rather low and heavy.
  18. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs
    Twice per week with heavy weights. I've seen the most progression by doing it this way.
    This IMO is the best way as well. So many people overtrain abs.
  19. Gold Member

oh man i've had that HORRIBLE ab cramp before, it felt like the muscle just snapped into a tiny knot it was one of the most painful experiences of my life

gotta love rope crunches
  20. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    oh man i've had that HORRIBLE ab cramp before, it felt like the muscle just snapped into a tiny knot it was one of the most painful experiences of my life

gotta love rope crunches
    Damn. Sounds like hell... I never get cramps working out - it's when I wake up in the middle of the night and my hamstring or calf is cramping so badly I can't move without pain shooting up my entire body that I curse my maker.
  21. -Dalla Hunga-
    Somewhere between a 4x12 stack and a power rack...

I really like this Cybex seated weighted crunch machine at my gym. I can really get a good contraction with it. I havent tried the abroller but Ive heard goog things about it. Of course weighted situps like Exnihilo work great as well.

BV
  22. Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

I only train abs when I'm cutting.. It's winter, I'm not showing my abs to anyone anytime soon, so pass the ****ing cheesecake!
  23. king of useless information!!!

i've had ab cramps too...you summed it perfect; feels like it snaping into a little knot

btw - when I hit abs I use weighted rope crunches or hanging leg lifts.
  24. Gate Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    I only train abs when I'm cutting.. It's winter, I'm not showing my abs to anyone anytime soon, so pass the ****ing cheesecake!

Your such a good role model. LOL

Watch the weighted crunches on the decline. I do them once in a while but they work your hip flexors more so then you abs. Rope crunches and work on the ball is great for targeting and isolating your abs. I also enjoy hanging straight leg raises and roman chair for my lower abs.
  25. Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Your such a good role model. LOL.
    I try..

When I do work abs, I do alot of work on the resist-a-ball, or the BOSU (I'm certified to teach classes with it!).. When I cut, I do a complete ab workout on a day of its own.. I mostly do hanging leg raises, rope crunches, and light oblique twists..
  26. Gate Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    I try..

When I do work abs, I do alot of work on the resist-a-ball, or the BOSU (I'm certified to teach classes with it!).. When I cut, I do a complete ab workout on a day of its own.. I mostly do hanging leg raises, rope crunches, and light oblique twists..
    Oblique twist like turning to the left to dunk your krispy kreme into your coffee Seriously though the ball is great for abs as well as most other muscles. Especially great if you want to work on your core muscles.
  27. Registered User

I'm a huge fan of dumbells on the ball. One of my workout partners always makes fun of me when I do them, I call him "power puff" he's fond of reminding me that he out benches me by 200lbs
  28. Board Supporter

Cable Crunches: These things are godly. Started doing them this summer and my abs started separating like I was modeling clay. It's very easy to extremely overload them and keep good form. Search around for a picture of them if you don't know what I'm talking about.

I do 3sets of Weighted declined crunches, and 3 sets of the Cable Crunches every 3 days. For the first time at in my life I started seeing them poke through, and this was on my last bulk at ~12%bf.

Might switch it up on next bulk just so it doesn't get stale though.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. How many times do you workout chest?
    By AlexParty in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 03:29 AM
  2. Why do you workout/take supplements?
    By LG Sciences in forum Supplements
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
  3. What time do you workout and why?
    By flobot in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 04:16 PM
  4. How do you get abs?
    By someguy1984 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
  5. POLL: How many times/week do you workout? FREE PRODUCT!
    By macedaddy in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 12:15 PM