10 best bench pressing strategies

theish11

theish11

Awards
Hello everyone! I've been at this for two years now consistent training and for the last year consistent training and diet. So my biggest shortcoming is STRENGTh. I want to bench way more and squat and deadlift more. What are the ten best resources for obtaining better strength. Maybe you know of a Suplement or YouTube video or diet etc. thanks

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could start with the advice in bench press thread you've previous started.

Edit:
What Dan said^

Find a proven program. 5/3/1 is a good starting spot. Starting strength. WSB4SB. Stick with it. Perfect technique.

And the advice on your other thread.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
1. So You Think You Can Squat - youtube
2. So You Think You Can Bench - youtube
3. So You Think You Can Deadlift - youtube
-just kidding, #3 doesnt exist
3. 5x5 routine. it is centered around those specific lifts
4. make sure you watch #1 and #2
5. make sure you watch #1 and #2 again
6. make sure you apply #1 and #2
7. make sure you eat enough calories, not just enough protein. carbs and fat are just as important
8. idk
9. idk
10. $$$

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dave Tate does have a deadlift instructional, though its not called that.

No supplement will increase your strength without proper diet, training, technique, and rest; so work on those first.

Elite FTS, Juggernaut, and T-Nation all have numerous articles.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been watching all his videos and the "So You think..." videos religiously. The squat and deadlift videos has help out tremendously with my form. I still struggle with the bench press on keeping the pressure on my traps and shoulders.
Brandon Lilly has a bench press 101 vid also. Not as in depth as Tate, but he brings up foot positioning, arch, and driving back onto the traps.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I will have to check it out, I watch your videos you post and I have trouble with how you do your initial set up with coming through the bar and then rolling your shoulders back onto the pad, you make it look so fluid and easy.
Don't watch my bench. It sucks and I change it everytime almost because I suck lol

Bench press should be uncomfortable, your lumbar won't like it. I'll be benching again tomorrow and will hopefully get my groove, I'll toss up another vid.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
youre suppoed to suck in a fuk ton of air and hold it in your stomach when lowering the bar. it supports the lumbar. that way it doesnt feel like your lower back is about to break in 2 when youre in the deep powerlifting C arch

i havnt seen your vids, but it sounds like youre not doing that part

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
youre suppoed to suck in a fuk ton of air and hold it in your stomach when lowering the bar. it supports the lumbar. that way it doesnt feel like your lower back is about to break in 2 when youre in the deep powerlifting C archi havnt seen your vids, but it sounds like youre not doing that part
The air is actually to shorten the ROM and for overall tightness than lumbar support. Holding in a lot of air actually increases the pain in the lumbar.Top Ten Tips:1. Technique2. Technique3. Technique4. Technique5. Train movements, not muscles6. Technique7. Strengthen the lats and triceps8. Technique9. Board work10. Technique

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It doesn't mean bench press is comfortable though. I change how I get into my setup, but i still get my arch and suck in air and drive through my feet. My bench still is what will kill my total, and I blame it on my shoulders

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lmao I'm sure you don't suck. I'm trying to transition from traditional bodybuilding flared out elbows to power lifting style and everything seems way heavy doing it that way lol but at the same time it feels a lot more natural benching this way now.
Work on building your upper back and lats. Those muscles help more than you could imagine.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It doesn't mean bench press is comfortable though. I change how I get into my setup, but i still get my arch and suck in air and drive through my feet. My bench still is what will kill my total, and I blame it on my shoulders
I want to watch your vid. What's it called on YouTube?!

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Try a Slingshot/Catapult to help with your benching. It take the weight off your your shoulders. If used properly it can help you with overloading safely and help raise your bench faster. Mark bell makes the slingshot {howmuchyoubench.com} and Catapult {Elitefts.com}

I have YouTube videos of myself using mine, just look up my forum name on YouTube wih slingshot in the search.

The Storm16

Awards
Work on building your upper back and lats. Those muscles help more than you could imagine.
This is great advice. Whether squatting, deadlifting or benching, for me the key is always maintaining tension throughout the entire range of motion. You need a strong foundation to move serious weight. For squats and deads this means a thick and fuly activated posterior chain--from your traps to your calves. With bench you need that diesel upper back strength to exert max force. It's all about being strong enough to maintain form and keep yourself in a mechanically advantageous position. Personally I'm a big fan of west side methods with some defranco-esque training too. With benching, really work on activating your lats and retracting your scapula