Bench Press Plateau

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Pypp View Post
    Stating what someone's doing wrong that you haven't seen bench, instead of offering what to do better is pretty unpractical.
    It's a safe bet that if he's training muscles that his technique will be bad. Trying to correct a technical weakness with exercises is erroneous. Step one in getting stronger on squat, bench, deads, Oly lifts, etc. is ALWAYS technique analysis. You can have the best template design, but without technical proficiency, it's a waste of time.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Quote Originally Posted by Pypp View Post
    Stating what someone's doing wrong that you haven't seen bench, instead of offering what to do better is pretty unpractical.
    Rodja beat me, but agreed. If he's addressing additional chest exercises SPECIFICALLY to break a plateau, I'd also wager the muscle is being trained rather than the movement.

Lets see a vid, and I'd put dollars to donuts there are several issues.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
    •   

3. Ill try to get you guys a video ASAP. I can already tell you that I honestly don't think I keep my body tight while I bench and there isn't much of a leg drive. Usually my back ends up flattening out during my sets as well. I never really paid much attention to it because I had no idea how much power I was compromising with subpar technique. However, it's also a little difficult trying to correct my own form when I can't really see what I'm doing wrong. Ill do my best to get a video soon.

4. You've changed the exercises, sets and reps... Have you tried changing the training method for example using negatives and forced reps? A few of my clients found changing their methods very useful, also taking 5 - 7 days off can also help, giving your body a chance to fully recover 9 times out of 10 you WILL come back stronger.

5. Quote Originally Posted by EllFitness View Post
    You've changed the exercises, sets and reps... Have you tried changing the training method for example using negatives and forced reps? A few of my clients found changing their methods very useful, also taking 5 - 7 days off can also help, giving your body a chance to fully recover 9 times out of 10 you WILL come back stronger.
    I have use forced reps every now and then but I haven't done much negative work in a while. Also, I haven't taken a week off in roughly a year. I'm sure it would help my whole body if I did soon.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rarchib View Post

I have use forced reps every now and then but I haven't done much negative work in a while. Also, I haven't taken a week off in roughly a year. I'm sure it would help my whole body if I did soon.
    Well the eccentric contraction is a lot more beneficial so give negatives a try, you also haven't done much negative work it is new to your body simply from the change this could get you past your Plateau. but id definitely recommend taking a week of especially as it has been a year now, like I said you will come back stronger. Try some different methods, get some rest, eat some food and your problem will be solved, me and all my clients have been there and the solutions are always so simple!

7. Just to let you guys know, I took some time and watched Dave Tate's "So You Think You Can Bench" YouTube instructional videos and they greatly helped. I've been working on correcting my form and technique and I practically already broke through the plateau. Thanks for the help.

8. Full body contraction is key to bench press, there shouldn't be a single muscle in your body that is relaxed during a power bench.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html

9. Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry08 View Post
    Full body contraction is key to bench press, there shouldn't be a single muscle in your body that is relaxed during a power bench.
    Nice to see someone else fraking gets it when it comes to maximal bench press strength.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

Nice to see someone else fraking gets it when it comes to maximal bench press strength.
    Yeah when I was younger I used to train at a power lifting gym in Michigan with some of the top power lifters in Michigan. Some of them even had some world records. I would watch those guys like a hawk to learn proper technique.

That would be my advice to you op find a local hole in the wall gym where there are some experienced power lifters. Train there for about six months watching them every day. Then get on your hands and knees after six months and ask for some advice on your form. Power lifters are some of the hardest guys in the gym to get respect from, because in my opinion there the hardest working and most dedicated out there. They could care less about how they look, it's all about adding more weight to that next lift.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I gripping the BB too close for bench pressing?
    By Rock Lee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:49 PM
  2. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 02:13 AM
  3. Is there anyone who doesn't flat bench press at all?
    By Rock Lee in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 02:45 PM
  4. rev bench press is this any good
    By bigrich954rr in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 04:04 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 01:03 PM