Muscle Memory Solved

anoopbal

Awards
haha yep.

This might be good for people who lost muscle due to bed rest and due to disease. Maybe in disease it could be in another mechanism. I remember when I was doing my Master's it was pretty accepted in our lab that muscle lose around 30% of nuclei during atrophy and the 'domain theory' was pretty intact. So this is pretty cool.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
It also means that since your body is more efficient at producing/using mgf as you are younger, its probably the best idea to lift while your young if you want to be big later down the road. At least you will have the extra nuclei, even if you take a break in between.Thats the way I always looked at it. Guys in their late teens/younger 20's have no excuse not to lift!

Jeniffer

Awards
Thanks for providing this useful information.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
In a totally non "i knew first" kind of way.
Im pretty sure this was well known before this was published? I remember thinking about this on my cycle last summer and I've posted about increased nuclei from cycle permanently increasing genetic potential before here on AM.

anoopbal

Awards
Thanks pumphouse and Jennifer,

In a totally non "i knew first" kind of way.
Im pretty sure this was well known before this was published? I remember thinking about this on my cycle last summer and I've posted about increased nuclei from cycle permanently increasing genetic potential before here on AM.
No. It was the other way around. It was accepted that muscle lose nuclei with muscle loss and is consistent with the 'nuclear domain theory'. This in fact goes against it.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Thanks pumphouse and Jennifer,

No. It was the other way around. It was accepted that muscle lose nuclei with muscle loss and is consistent with the 'nuclear domain theory'. This in fact goes against it.
Few previous studies from dat's site. 2008/2010:

Bruusgaard JC, Gundersen K. In vivo time-lapse microscopy reveals no loss of murine myonuclei during weeks of muscle atrophy, J Clin Invest 118: 1450–1457, 2008

Bruusgaard JC, Johansen IB, Egner IM, Rana ZA, Gundersen K. Myonuclei acquired by overload exercise precede hypertrophy and are not lost on detraining, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 15111–15116, 2010

Gundersen K, Bruusgaard JC. Nuclear domains during muscle atrophy: nuclei lost or paradigm lost?, J Physiol 586: 2675–2681, 2008

anoopbal

Awards
Few previous studies from dat's site. 2008/2010:

Bruusgaard JC, Gundersen K. In vivo time-lapse microscopy reveals no loss of murine myonuclei during weeks of muscle atrophy, J Clin Invest 118: 1450–1457, 2008

Bruusgaard JC, Johansen IB, Egner IM, Rana ZA, Gundersen K. Myonuclei acquired by overload exercise precede hypertrophy and are not lost on detraining, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 15111–15116, 2010

Gundersen K, Bruusgaard JC. Nuclear domains during muscle atrophy: nuclei lost or paradigm lost?, J Physiol 586: 2675–2681, 2008
Those were the same studies referenced in the article. In fact, there is a recent one in 2012 which showed the same with hindlimb unloading. So they are using different models to confirm it.

I am talking before these studies and after they confirmed it with multiple studies. One study going against the conventional wisdom is always looked skeptically.

dylandufault

dylandufault

Awards
haha yep.

This might be good for people who lost muscle due to bed rest and due to disease. Maybe in disease it could be in another mechanism. I remember when I was doing my Master's it was pretty accepted in our lab that muscle lose around 30% of nuclei during atrophy and the 'domain theory' was pretty intact. So this is pretty cool.
Unfortunately u know this from first hand experience. I was diagnosed with nerve damage in my entire body and basically had to rebuild all my muscles back up. I lost a total of 30lbs and am coming up on 6months of being in.a rehabilitation center. My upper body has basically returned to almost normal before diagnosis. My legs still requires a lot of, not rehab per se but strengthening that I basically do on leg press and leg extension machines. My major issue is dorsiflexion.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Oh man, I feel dumb now. *slowly walks away*

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Ok. 'Muscle memory' is actually related to LEARNED motor programs (i.e., neural recruitment patterns) and not that the muscle itself responds better to unaccustomed exercise after a period of detraining. In order for myonuclear domain to maintain adequacy, one would expect myonuclei would decrease during atrophy (not sure why people think this is relevant to this topic). However, studies have shown that myogenic stem cell (satellite cells in the basal lamina) remain elevated after a period of resistance training and are able to quickly differentiate into new myonuclei.

Blaine123

Awards
Milk like milk products, natural yogurt and low-fat parmesan cheesse, such as bungalow and natural parmesan cheesse, These little jewelry have all the charming taste of lollies, with the involved make up of supplement C and metal....