Strongman training

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
This topic was just recently a research base for faculty at my school (Hofstra University). They viewed the effect of strongman training on salivary free test levels when compared to hypertrophy based protocols and a mixed programing. Their findings were rather interesting, regarding immediate post workout levels. I tried to pull up the study but it was published so recently that it was only available for purchase.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This topic was just recently a research base for faculty at my school (Hofstra University). They viewed the effect of strongman training on salivary free test levels when compared to hypertrophy based protocols and a mixed programing. Their findings were rather interesting, regarding immediate post workout levels. I tried to pull up the study but it was published so recently that it was only available for purchase.
Ironic you go to Hofstra. Check out my references at the end of the article, I cite and discuss their study. I have the full text if you'd like it.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Small world haha I'm about to read your article now.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Very nice write up I have to say I'm in agreement with all points raised especially the intro had me reminiscing.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, good stuff and nice work on those vids to guy.
With the advent of WSM being more mainstreamed and popular in the last 5-10 years, it has come out of the caves since the days of star football players wheeling tires across parking lots and the bigger Oly and PL'ers dominating. Some guys figured it could be a cake walk from one sport to the other and quickly found their GPP, work capacity and fitness levels being quite a limiting factor.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I think everyone should incorporate some form of strongman training into their workouts. The loaded caries will challenge the core musculature like no plank, crunch, or even squat ever could.
i have read many dan johns articles talking about the 5 main movements. loaded carries is one and i remember him saying it will likely have the greatest effect on peoples training. mainly cause hardly anyone does them.

every other sunday i do strongman training at a small gym. i love the change up in training. and it is humbling how much technique some of that stuff still requires.

my fav lifts are the log, the farmers, and anything with pulling a car whether its the rowing one or the harness/pull.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now all I need is to be a strong man so I can do Strongman training :biglaugh:

Ironic you go to Hofstra. Check out my references at the end of the article, I cite and discuss their study. I have the full text if you'd like it.

Jason Cholewa, Ph.D., CSCS
I want that, a lot.