internal vs external rotation strength

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
If there a set guide line strength wise versus these? If you can internal rotate 30 cable lbs, should you be able to do 30 external cable lbs? I know these are not power lifts, I do 20-30reps, can do 20-30cable lbs on internal rotations, but 10lbs for externals. Does any of this correlate to cuban rotations?

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
Never heard of training the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Scapula Depressors before, kinda scares me to try it and see how poor they may be. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is there no correlation on internal vs external strength though, as to be the same?[/FONT]

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never heard of training the Scapula Depressors before, kinda scares me to try it and see how poor they may be.

Is there no correlation on internal vs external strength though, as to be the same?
It's pretty hard to isolate and measure subscapularis (internal RC muscle) as the pecs and lats take over much of internal rotation. Overall internal strength will almost always be more than external strength. The point of training the external rotators is to maintain sufficient strength to stabilize the head of the humerus in the socket during pressing work.

Hopefully we can get NYiron to chime in as well.

Br

Couple ways to train depressors:

http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/04/prone-scapular-snow-angels/
http://jasoncholewa.com/2013/03/07/band-resisted-scaptions/

Will post more in due time.

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Most people are stronger in internal rotation than external rotation. Internal rotation works the subscapularis primarily, and external rotators are the infraspinatus and teres minor. It would also be helpful to train scapular stability exercises, scapular retraction (rhomboids, seated rows houghstons, etc)

jdean321

Awards
As a baseball pitcher this is my number one priority. There are many exercises to isolate and strengthen your rotator cuff ( supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor and subscapularis) you will just look like a ***** doing them. If you use more than 2lbs you begin to activate larger muscle groups and so if you want to do it right you have to suck it up for a few minutes while you use the little pink weights. Look up throwers 10 program for a good base. If you're serious about it I can email you some of my rehab program from my tommy johns surgery.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is there no correlation on internal vs external strength though, as to be the same?[/FONT][/I]
I am not sure what the ratios are, but the leverages and musculature are set up totally different. Humans are built to be stronger rotating the shoulder joint towards the center of body than waving the arm away from it.

KimChee75

KimChee75

Awards
It's funny I don't see people doing these exercises a lot and I've had people come up and tell me I'm doing them wrong, and show me some other exercise lol! Don't expect to get strong on these anyways even elite athletes don't use more than 15 lbs max imho..

As a baseball pitcher this is my number one priority. There are many exercises to isolate and strengthen your rotator cuff ( supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor and subscapularis) you will just look like a ***** doing them. If you use more than 2lbs you begin to activate larger muscle groups and so if you want to do it right you have to suck it up for a few minutes while you use the little pink weights. Look up throwers 10 program for a good base. If you're serious about it I can email you some of my rehab program from my tommy johns surgery.