Cardio time

badnews09

badnews09

Awards
Anyone have thought on cardio right after working out?
I understand the old school way is in the morning on an empty stomach.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
cardio for what? fat loss? endurance training?

badnews09

badnews09

Awards
cardio for what? fat loss? endurance training?
Fat loss I'm 195 at 11% but need to do cardio to balance out my caloric intake. Not real intense cardio at all though still putting on size

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
diet is FAR better for fat loss. read up on carb backloading and intermittent fasting. pick one, follow it exactly.

as for your question, its splitting hairs for most people. do cardio to make you better conditioned for your weight lifting. in other words dont do long slow cardio, do something specifically to help your weight lifting using similar work/rest periods. and hit your weights harder.

work hard, eat hard, sleep hard and you will get stronger with a great side effect of bigger muscles and less bodyfat.

badnews09

badnews09

Awards
diet is FAR better for fat loss. read up on carb backloading and intermittent fasting. pick one, follow it exactly.

as for your question, its splitting hairs for most people. do cardio to make you better conditioned for your weight lifting. in other words dont do long slow cardio, do something specifically to help your weight lifting using similar work/rest periods. and hit your weights harder.

work hard, eat hard, sleep hard and you will get stronger with a great side effect of bigger muscles and less bodyfat.
Awesome thanks!

TexasGuy

Awards
I've had success with LISS post lifting. I prefer to create caloric deficits through training as much as possible. I'd rather not reduce macro and micro nutrients if I don't have to. If you have your diet nailed down and know your levels it's easy to use cardio to manipulate weight loss. HIIT style cardio is highly effective but can hamper recovery on an intense routine. Give post workout cardio a try for 6 weeks or so and see for yourself.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fat loss I'm 195 at 11% but need to do cardio to balance out my caloric intake. Not real intense cardio at all though still putting on size
Look at the bold. You could easily avoid cardio if you eat a little less. However, if you still want to do cardio, I would do it on a separate day. Personally, I'm too drained after my lifting sessions. I'd rather give it all then instead of having some left in the tank. You could also do them on the same day, but in separate sessions, one in the morning and one in the evening. Just give yourself enough time in between.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I've had success with LISS post lifting.
in my experience for fat burning when doing lifting and cardio on the same say that is the best option. i save my HIIT for when i am fresh and hammer the hell out of myself.

TexasGuy

Awards
in my experience for fat burning when doing lifting and cardio on the same say that is the best option. i save my HIIT for when i am fresh and hammer the hell out of myself.
I agree. For an aggressive cut I use HIIT but I also drop weight training frequency. I realize weight training leads to fat loss but coupled with cardio I find I get more bang for the buck.

Cardio is a fantastic tool for cutting when used appropriately and spares nutrient sacrifice. I find that cross training synergistically improves both cardio and weight training output as well, HIIT of course and also LISS. I'm not talking about marathon training or the tour de france, just speed walking at an incline or jogging a couple miles 3 times per week or so. If I can burn an extra 300 calories per jog and get to eat blueberries in yogurt with all their glorious health and muscle preservation benefits instead of cutting them from my daily diet I'm a happy camper.