Weightlifter's Shoulder (Distal Clavicular Osteolysis)

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
It's been since June... I used to do parallel bar dips with 90lb dumbbell and I weigh 200. Now I can barely do 150 on the machine (not body weight), on a good day, I can flat bench 330x4 but incline bench and body weight dips are too painful. After any chest work including cable flys, my shoulder hurts for days. Advil takes the pain from 10--->7. But I can't even sleep on my left side now because it hurts.
I'm finally scheduling an xray this week because its not getting any better. I can barely pick up my kids. And I did zero chest work from June-December to see if it would heal.
Anybody else gone through this?

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Subd for more info.

I've had some shoulder issues off and on. Ive been focusing on some lighter weight, more rehab type stuff lately to make sure i fix it before it progresses

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I'm hoping cortisone will help but never had cortisone and also don't know if it is a cure or a band aid

Rush954

Rush954

Awards
I'm hoping cortisone will help but never had cortisone and also don't know if it is a cure or a band aid
Cortisone is a bad Band aid. It helps for the moment only. Cortisone eats away your tendons over time. Once you start getting them you will want to continue because it does work for relieving pain temporarily. Just my opinion I'm no professional just someone who used to receive cortisone injections in my knee when active in sports.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
xray showed deterioration of meniscus at the clavicle humurol joint. Cortisone shot today and surgery if not better in 2 weeks. G A Y

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
I recently got over a bad rotator cuff impingement.
I had pain for about 6 months before I finally went to go see the Doc.
A cortisone shot really sped the healing along, before then I did a bout 10,000,000 external rotations, changed my push pull ratio, layed off bench for a month, and laid off overhead press for 6 months, and so on.
But I only got better to a point.
It wasn't until the cortisone knocked out the inflammation that the rehab work really began to heal it.

So cortisone can aid healing, but like other's have said, too many will weaken tendons and it's pain re-leaving properties may allow you to keep doing what injured it in the first place so be careful with it.

My original rotator cuff injury never came back. Sidenote though, I did get an overuse injury to my bicep tendon and needed another one, but as painful as it was, I was thankful it was a new injury and that I didn't re injure the old one.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I've been laying off presses and dips and the pain is virtually gone! That cortisone is impressive. And though I want to bench more and get back to dips again, I know I should wait...
Shoveling snow tonight wasn't the best for the shoulder but now I can at least sleep on that side.
I hope this nonsense heals up because I'm just starting to get into my groove with chest work. But I understand holding off on the short term for benefit of long term.

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
I've had to accept the fact that my days of doing dips are gone.
Too late I realized my mobility just wasn't built for it.
Now I can never reenact that Dr Dre video : (.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been laying off presses and dips and the pain is virtually gone! That cortisone is impressive. And though I want to bench more and get back to dips again, I know I should wait...
Shoveling snow tonight wasn't the best for the shoulder but now I can at least sleep on that side.
I hope this nonsense heals up because I'm just starting to get into my groove with chest work. But I understand holding off on the short term for benefit of long term.
Hi 3Fs

Similar issues with this thread I started

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/222918-rotator-cuff-injury.html

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
I hate to tell you this, and your physician should have but cortisone shots deteriorate tendon and bone over time. You are allowed to receive a cortisone injection every 3 months, cortisone is a corticosteroid, used to reduce inflammation. It is a temporary fix. My advice is that you should seek physical therapy or consider surgery as an option. They will probably start you off with conservative treatment first:exercises, stretches, range of motion, ice, pulse US, etc Also, in the future you will need to be careful with or avoid overhead movements, you will have to be careful of, military press, heavy bench presses, dips, flys, etc.
It sucks but it would be helpful to change the way you train, shoulder scaption, flexion, internal and external rotation, and shoulder extension exercises. You might also want to work on some scapular stabilization exercises. If you have surgery you will not be able to actively move your arm fro 2-3 months or more. Just some things to think about..

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I've been reading about nandrolone to help this. Anybody have experience with this?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hate to tell you this, and your physician should have but cortisone shots deteriorate tendon and bone over time. You are allowed to receive a cortisone injection every 3 months, cortisone is a corticosteroid, used to reduce inflammation. It is a temporary fix. My advice is that you should seek physical therapy or consider surgery as an option. They will probably start you off with conservative treatment first:exercises, stretches, range of motion, ice, pulse US, etc Also, in the future you will need to be careful with or avoid overhead movements, you will have to be careful of, military press, heavy bench presses, dips, flys, etc.
It sucks but it would be helpful to change the way you train, shoulder scaption, flexion, internal and external rotation, and shoulder extension exercises. You might also want to work on some scapular stabilization exercises. If you have surgery you will not be able to actively move your arm fro 2-3 months or more. Just some things to think about..
Everything you posts/ comment on makes me want to learn more from you!! Wow!

jason.fdz

Awards
Hey, I have had my share of shoulder injuries and also see a bunch working at a PT clinic. Everything said about cortisone is true, and its good you have came to terms with saying good bye to dips, also shy away from flat bench. The external rotation that happens is so stressful on your shoulder and flys as well. Basically any lift where you can not see your hands are going to be tough to do correctly with out possibly eventually reaggravating the injury. And I just realized I'm repeating what KimChee has said, take what he says and do it. After recovering from two right shoulder surgeries and one left surgery it is better to just rest and try and avoid surgery, because if you get surgery you will be relatively pain free but your range of motion will suffer and all these exercises that aggravate it will be tough to do well anyways. Good luck and exercise all the assist or muscles around the shoulder too.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey, I have had my share of shoulder injuries and also see a bunch working at a PT clinic. Everything said about cortisone is true, and its good you have came to terms with saying good bye to dips, also shy away from flat bench. The external rotation that happens is so stressful on your shoulder and flys as well. Basically any lift where you can not see your hands are going to be tough to do correctly with out possibly eventually reaggravating the injury. And I just realized I'm repeating what KimChee has said, take what he says and do it. After recovering from two right shoulder surgeries and one left surgery it is better to just rest and try and avoid surgery, because if you get surgery you will be relatively pain free but your range of motion will suffer and all these exercises that aggravate it will be tough to do well anyways. Good luck and exercise all the assist or muscles around the shoulder too.
I'm glad I read this, I just got done hitting shoulders even tho I know better because my left shoulder is all jacked up.

freakzilla321

Banned
Awards
You have a lot of variations of the deltoid muscle you have anterior, lateral, and posterior. The anterior is the front and a lot of people work that muscle more than the lateral/posterior. And it causes a pulling effect from the front of the deltoid( in laymans word the front gets too big and rips the deltoid) maybe this is not your problem but it's very common with weight lifters

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You have a lot of variations of the deltoid muscle you have anterior, lateral, and posterior. The anterior is the front and a lot of people work that muscle more than the lateral/posterior. And it causes a pulling effect from the front of the deltoid( in laymans word the front gets too big and rips the deltoid) maybe this is not your problem but it's very common with weight lifters
Thank u!!