Recent research on static stretching

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
[h=1]CHRONIC EFFECT OF STATIC STRETCHING ON STRENGTH PERFORMANCE AND BASAL SERUM IGF-1LEVELS.[/h]
ABSTRACT: Improving the process of how physical performance is enhanced is one of the main topics evaluated by physiologists. This process often involves athletes as well as non-athletic populations. The purpose of this study was to assess the chronic response to ten weeks of static stretchingexercises carried out before and during a strength training program for eight exercises on eight repetition maximum (8RM) test performance, andbasal serum IGF-1 levels. Thirty recreationally trained volunteers were randomly assigned into one of three training groups: 1) SBST (performed a warm-up with a static stretching protocol before each strength training session); 2) SDST (before each training set, a static stretching exercise was performed); and 3) OST (entire session was performed without any type of stretching exercise). Strength and IGF-1 levels were collected at the beginning (pre-test) and end (post-test) of the entire experimental procedure. All exercises showed a significant increase in muscle strength for the OST group. However, the results revealed a significant increase in muscle strength for only a few exercises in the SBST (LP, LE) and SDST (LP) experimental conditions. Significant statistical differences were found between SBST and SDST for all exercises in the OST experimental condition. Furthermore, IGF-1 expression showed no significant differences in intragroup analysis. However, the OST group showed higher values (p<0.05) in post-test when compared to other groups (increased significantly only in the OST experimental condition). It has been concluded that, while all groups showed an increase in muscular strength, but the strength training performed without any type of stretching exercise, regardless of if the stretching is performed prior or during the lifting session, can more effectively increase muscle strength as well as basal serum IGF-1 levels. It was concluded thatstrength training, with or without the use of stretching exercises, increased muscular strength in the studied groups, and can induce an increase inIGF-1 levels.

PMID: 23254543
Basically, static stretching prior to or during resistance training will likely lead to reduced gains in strength.

TexasGuy

Awards
This is good information that has been permeating the training world for a little while and should be considered by every lifter.

People with stubbornly tight muscles, however, shouldn't fear static stretching. Lifting "loose" and slightly compromised for maximum strength gains in a single session is much better than popping a hammie and sitting bench for weeks.

A comprehensive flexibility and mobility program is best where dynamic stretching and mobility work is incorporated to a lifting warm up routine and static stretching follows to increase overall flexibility over time.

Don't sweat the small stuff if you aren't breaking parallel at least on your squats without stretching.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i got into an argument at a fitness trainer interview because the dumass trainers there have all their clients static stretch and myofascial release before exercise. safe to say i wasnt hired lol
i told them i believe in dynamic stretching or no stretching. they said its for "advanced trainees only" wutdufuq

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
How do you feel about foam rolling? Before or after?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is good information that has been permeating the training world for a little while and should be considered by every lifter.

People with stubbornly tight muscles, however, shouldn't fear static stretching. Lifting "loose" and slightly compromised for maximum strength gains in a single session is much better than popping a hammie and sitting bench for weeks.

A comprehensive flexibility and mobility program is best where dynamic stretching and mobility work is incorporated to a lifting warm up routine and static stretching follows to increase overall flexibility over time.

Don't sweat the small stuff if you aren't breaking parallel at least on your squats without stretching.
it appears that the same is true with dynamic stretching

Maximal strength, number of repetitions, and total volume are differently affected by static-, ballistic-, and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching.

Stretching exercises have been traditionally incorporated into warm-up routines before training sessions and sport events. However, the effects of stretching on maximal strength and strength endurance performance seem to depend on the type of stretching employed. The objective of this study was to compare the effects of static stretching (SS), ballistic stretching (BS), and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) stretching on maximal strength, number of repetitions at a submaximal load, and total volume (i.e., number of repetitions × external load) in a multiple-set resistance training bout. Twelve strength-trained men (20.4 ± 4.5 years, 67.9 ± 6.3 kg, 173.3 ± 8.5 cm) volunteered to participate in this study. All of the subjects completed 8 experimental sessions. Four experimental sessions were designed to test maximal strength in the leg press (i.e., 1 repetition maximum [1RM]) after each stretching condition (SS, BS, PNF, or no-stretching [NS]). During the other 4 sessions, the number of repetitions performed at 80% 1RM was assessed after each stretching condition. All of the stretching protocols significantly improved the range of motion in the sit-and-reach test when compared with NS. Further, PNF induced greater changes in the sit-and-reach test than BS did (4.7 ± 1.6, 2.9 ± 1.5, and 1.9 ± 1.4 cm for PNF, SS, and BS, respectively). Leg press 1RM values were decreased only after the PNF condition (5.5%, p < 0.001). All the stretching protocols significantly reduced the number of repetitions (SS: 20.8%, p < 0.001; BS: 17.8%, p = 0.01; PNF: 22.7%, p < 0.001) and total volume (SS: 20.4%, p < 0.001; BS: 17.9%, p = 0.01; PNF: 22.4%, p < 0.001) when compared with NS. The results from this study suggest that, to avoid a decrease in both the number of repetitions and total volume, stretching exercises should not be performed before a resistance training session. Additionally, strength-trained individuals may experience reduced maximal dynamic strength after PNF stretching.

PMID: 22914099

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you feel about foam rolling? Before or after?
Both

An acute bout of self‐myofascial release increases range of motion without a subsequent decrease in neuromuscular performance

Objective:

To determine the effect of self myofascial release via foam roller application on skeletal muscle performance.

Background:

The use of foam rollers in athletic, rehabilitative and normal populations has substantially increased in recent years because it is thought that foam rolling improves muscular function, performance and joint range of motion (ROM). However, there is no empirical evidence demonstrating this.

Methods:

Eleven healthy male (height 178.9 ± 3.5 cm, weight 86.3 ± 7.4 kg, age 22.3 ± 3.8) subjects who were recreational resistance trainers and moderate to very physically active participated. Subjects quadriceps maximum voluntary contraction force, activation, twitch force,
tetanic force, electromyography (EMG), knee joint ROM and perceived pain were measured prior to, one minute, and 10 minutes following two
conditions; 1) two, one minute trials of self myofascial release of the quadriceps via a high density foam roller and 2) no self myofascial release
(Control). A two‐way ANOVA (condition x time) with repeated measures was performed on all
dependent variables recorded in the pre‐ and post‐condition tests.

Results:

There were no significant differences between conditions for any of the neuromuscular dependent variables. However, following foam rolling, subjects ROM significantly (ρ < 0.001) increased by more than 10% at 2 and 10 minutes. Subjects who reported high perceived pain values were able to generate greater force, but not ROM. Furthermore, there was a significant (ρ <0.01) negative correlation between subjects force
and ROM prior to foam rolling, which no longer existed following foam rolling.

Conclusion:

An acute bout of self myofascial release of the quadriceps is an effective treatment to enhance knee joint range of motion without a concomitant deficit in muscle performance. These findings have substantial implications for the usage of self myofascial release
in rehabilitative and athletic settings.
So we see a 10 degree increase in range of motion after foam rolling compared to the control leg.

Now as for post workout, subjectively I feel foam rolling after a workout helps my recovery.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Foam rolling was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have any of you moved up to a PVC pipe yet?

- Valdez

TexasGuy

Awards
it appears that the same is true with dynamic stretching
This is new information to me though it makes sense as stretching is stretching.

Personally, I'll still be stretching out tight muscles even if I am slightly compromised for strength and volume.

As long as my numbers are coming up, I'm fine with it over poor form, ROM and potential injury.

It's still better to lift loose than sit injured and a nagging tight hamstring or hip flexor during squats will be more detrimental than progressing slightly below maximal at each training session, so long as progress is made. When you feel like maxing out, by all means, do it unstretched and push for that extra 10 %.

Incorrect movement patterns, poor tracking et cetera will all lead to a shortened lifting career in the long term, and potentially an acute injury halting gains in the short term and stretching definitely increases ROM in the immediate.

I would hope readers will understand that while information itself is valuable, so is application. It's one thing to be limber and mobile with a proper warm up. It's another to lift tight and wind up looking like a retarded Quazimodo with arthritis and recurring injuries.

A comprehensive stretching and mobility routine to become limber and mobile enough for a warm up to suffice is important if a lifter isn't already, and if a lifter is at the start of such a routine, he is most likely are flirting with injury if not loosening up prior to a lifting session. He should absolutely stretch and roll out impingements beforehand, afterwards and maybe even again later in the day until he is flexible enough to get by with out stretching before lifting.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I understand your points being made for static stretching prior, however, also consider that it is relaxing in nature. It's not going to increase the temperature of the muscle, increase blood flow or excite the cns; all things I want in my warm up. It also reduces power output which, itself, can lead to injury. I also consider full Rom strength training to be equally as, if not more, effective as ss in increasing active Rom.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have any of you moved up to a PVC pipe yet?
- Valdez
It's the only thing I've found that really works on my hip flexors.

you know youre not really supposed to roll on it. youre suposed to sit on the kinks till the pain goes away lol
Not true. Rolling has benefits beyond working out adhesions within the tissue such as increased elasticity and bloodflow to the area.

TexasGuy

Awards
I understand your points being made for static stretching prior, however, also consider that it is relaxing in nature. It's not going to increase the temperature of the muscle, increase blood flow or excite the cns; all things I want in my warm up. It also reduces power output which, itself, can lead to injury. I also consider full Rom strength training to be equally as, if not more, effective as ss in increasing active Rom.
As a part of a comprehensive warm up it is effective at preventing injuries for people suffering chronically tight muscles. I'm not recommending a few stretches and straight to work sets, only that people consider reponsible application of the information. And that they include flexibility and mobility work to a routine outside of simply lifting.

Decreased power output will only lead to injury if a lifter pushes beyond his limit in a given session, same as a lifter who doesn't stretch. Heavily loading a tight and poorly responsive muscle actually increases risk of injury though. Stretched tendons may be a concern where load is considered but a warm up routine incorporating stretches isn't exactly an hour long advanced yoga session.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you know youre not really supposed to roll on it. youre suposed to sit on the kinks till the pain goes away lol
Both. Apply pressure to kinks to relax the muscle spindles and work out adhesions. Roll for the reasons Rodja mentioned.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Both. Apply pressure to kinks to relax the muscle spindles and work out adhesions. Roll for the reasons Rodja mentioned.
Hurts like hell...but it is the only thing that has helped my calves (got them swollen and tight lately after starting to really overload my squat), flexors and lumbar.

Doing them rather slowly, with a good amount of pressure and for long reps can be a PITA...but the next day you feel in heaven.

bj22

Awards
How do you roll your calves? I have tried both foam rolling and lax ball, but never seem to be able to transfer sufficient enough weight to the area to make a meaningful difference. The one thing that seemed to do the trick was to have my girlfriend kneel on my lower legs while rolling. Sounds kinky, I know!

Randoja

Randoja

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Makes sense to me, the study on stretching and strength. If you think about powerlifting gear it's all the tighter the better. If your knee wraps are looser you squat a bit less, same idea with your muscles.

Sent from my phone.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Makes sense to me, the study on stretching and strength. If you think about powerlifting gear it's all the tighter the better. If your knee wraps are looser you squat a bit less, same idea with your muscles.

Sent from my phone.
Not exactly. Powerlifting gear is more akin to connective tissue than muscle and adds an extra layer of normal force from the gear.

Randoja

Randoja

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not exactly. Powerlifting gear is more akin to connective tissue than muscle and adds an extra layer of normal force from the gear.
I hear ya, but wouldn't stretching reduce the elasticity of your connective tissue to some extent as well?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear ya, but wouldn't stretching reduce the elasticity of your connective tissue to some extent as well?
No, it shouldn't.

Static stretching desensitizes the muscle spindles, which means less discharge (to induce a stronger contraction) upon stretch.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No. If anything, it'll increase the elasticity of the tendons, but we're not talking about a huge difference. Each piece of powerlifting gear is different in terms of ply, the cut, the material, the seem placement, etc. Depending on these factors, the feel and "groove" of each piece is different and will have a different effect on the person. The tighter the buy is, the harder it is to manipulate it and requires a greater degree of strength to actually use each piece. For example, when I put on my briefs, it takes me about 405 to hit parallel. Throw on the suit bottoms, and I need about 600 to hit parallel. Put on the straps and it can take another 40-60lbs to hit parallel.

Randoja

Randoja

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I get what you guys are saying, I think I am just making a poor comparison to PL gear I guess. I mean to say coming in tight is going to provide you with tension in muscles and connective tissue that keeps you tight and can support more of a load. Stretching out is going to undoubtedly take some of that away, decreasing your max workload to some extent.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good to know.
Gear is the most misunderstood thing about powerlifting. Most think you can throw on a shirt and it automatically adds 100lbs to your bench. The reality is that most don't have the technique to use the shirt properly let alone get anything out of it.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gear is the most misunderstood thing about powerlifting. Most think you can throw on a shirt and it automatically adds 100lbs to your bench. The reality is that most don't have the technique to use the shirt properly let alone get anything out of it.
There was a guy in my old gym who entered his first PL comp so decided to try out a bench shirt.

He put 220lbs on the bar and said he couldn't even get it to his chest so went up to 310lbs. He reached his chest on the eccentric phase but pushed it completely out of line on the way up and dropped in on his throat before the spotters could intervene.

So, to agree with your point he failed to lift a weight he was able to lift raw and narrowly escaped serious injury.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No. If anything, it'll increase the elasticity of the tendons
I'm not so sure if that's a good thing...at least the last thing we want is our tendons to become lax. The less energy they absorb, the more energy that is transferred into the ground (or load). If they have too much elasticity, or ability to stretch, then energy is lost. I think its synonymous with a shooting bow string. The bend and tension should be due to the recoil of the bow itself (the muscles), not the recoil the of string. In fact, the first hunting bows were made out of tendons.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There was a guy in my old gym who entered his first PL comp so decided to try out a bench shirt.

He put 220lbs on the bar and said he couldn't even get it to his chest so went up to 310lbs. He reached his chest on the eccentric phase but pushed it completely out of line on the way up and dropped in on his throat before the spotters could intervene.

So, to agree with your point he failed to lift a weight he was able to lift raw and narrowly escaped serious injury.
I think I left some confusion in my post. Each piece of gear requires a certain manipulation to it. Depending on this, you will need a certain amount of raw strength before you will be able to get anything out of the particular piece of equipment with the most important element being technique. Each ply and/or layer that you add will require more and more technical proficiency and adaptation before you will be able to get anything out of the gear.

For example, one of the guys who joined the crew in November had never used a shirt. It took him 3 months of training and technique adjustment before he was able to press his raw 1RM in a shirt because it altered the movement pattern so much. The particular shirt that he uses, a Metal Bash Pro, is not a particularly stiff shirt and it is a relatively loose shirt.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not so sure if that's a good thing...at least the last thing we want is our tendons to become lax. The less energy they absorb, the more energy that is transferred into the ground (or load). If they have too much elasticity, or ability to stretch, then energy is lost. I think its synonymous with a shooting bow string. The bend and tension should be due to the recoil of the bow itself (the muscles), not the recoil the of string. In fact, the first hunting bows were made out of tendons.

Br
That's why I made sure to say nothing huge in terms of difference in elasticity. There will be some slight increase, which will help with stretch-reflex, but even that will limited without specific training.

Randoja

Randoja

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Br
This is the basis of what I was trying to say, I appreciate you putting it more eloquently than I was able to.