Recent research on static stretching

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No. If anything, it'll increase the elasticity of the tendons
    I'm not so sure if that's a good thing...at least the last thing we want is our tendons to become lax. The less energy they absorb, the more energy that is transferred into the ground (or load). If they have too much elasticity, or ability to stretch, then energy is lost. I think its synonymous with a shooting bow string. The bend and tension should be due to the recoil of the bow itself (the muscles), not the recoil the of string. In fact, the first hunting bows were made out of tendons.

Br

2. Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    There was a guy in my old gym who entered his first PL comp so decided to try out a bench shirt.

He put 220lbs on the bar and said he couldn't even get it to his chest so went up to 310lbs. He reached his chest on the eccentric phase but pushed it completely out of line on the way up and dropped in on his throat before the spotters could intervene.

So, to agree with your point he failed to lift a weight he was able to lift raw and narrowly escaped serious injury.
    I think I left some confusion in my post. Each piece of gear requires a certain manipulation to it. Depending on this, you will need a certain amount of raw strength before you will be able to get anything out of the particular piece of equipment with the most important element being technique. Each ply and/or layer that you add will require more and more technical proficiency and adaptation before you will be able to get anything out of the gear.

For example, one of the guys who joined the crew in November had never used a shirt. It took him 3 months of training and technique adjustment before he was able to press his raw 1RM in a shirt because it altered the movement pattern so much. The particular shirt that he uses, a Metal Bash Pro, is not a particularly stiff shirt and it is a relatively loose shirt.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

3. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    I'm not so sure if that's a good thing...at least the last thing we want is our tendons to become lax. The less energy they absorb, the more energy that is transferred into the ground (or load). If they have too much elasticity, or ability to stretch, then energy is lost. I think its synonymous with a shooting bow string. The bend and tension should be due to the recoil of the bow itself (the muscles), not the recoil the of string. In fact, the first hunting bows were made out of tendons.

Br
    That's why I made sure to say nothing huge in terms of difference in elasticity. There will be some slight increase, which will help with stretch-reflex, but even that will limited without specific training.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

4. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Br
    This is the basis of what I was trying to say, I appreciate you putting it more eloquently than I was able to.
    Purus Labs Rep
    www.puruslabs.net
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 08:41 PM
  3. My milk thistle research on PubMed
    By Grunt76 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 12:08 AM