One muscle a day workout.

lemeseethem

lemeseethem

Awards
I have been working out for a year now and I have been doing chest and tris mwf and back and bis t/th with legs thrown in on Fridays. I want to move to working one muscle group per day but I'm not sure what order/days would be best. Any help would be appreciated.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I have been working out for a year now and I have been doing chest and tris mwf and back and bis t/th with legs thrown in on Fridays. I want to move to working one muscle group per day but I'm not sure what order/days would be best. Any help would be appreciated.
:facepalm:

Did I just read chest mwf?

Young man, look into some of the bazillion PROVEN programs that are out there. There's a lot of fail in what you're doing now. I'd recommend starting strength to start with. You can make good progress for six months or so before moving on to an intermediate program.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

boogyman

Awards
I completely agree with Napalm. You are just asking for fail with that. SS, or a 5x5 for a few months, then maybe 5-3-1. And if you have been doing that for a year, throw in some extra rear rotational work. Facepulls and pullaparts.

dday39

Awards
chest, arms and abs; all day, err day

c'mon bro, 3 days for chest, 2 for back and you're just throwing legs in there?

get on a proven novice routine and get your nutrition in order

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
sure, you can do 1 muscle a day.

lets see we have:
1)pecs
2)traps, can we do upper, mid, and low on the same day?
3)deltoids, can we do anterior, medial, and posterior on the same day?
4)biceps, can we do the brachioradialis on the same day?
5)triceps
6)latisumus dorsi
7)spinal erectors
8)low back
9)rectus abdominus
10)obliques
11)quads
12)hamstrings
13)calves
14)hip adductors
15)hip abductors

so we are going for a 15 day cycle. sounds good. and seeing as how we are trying to focus on a specific muscle i guess we can leave out weak ass stuff like overhead pressing, bench press, rows, squats, deadlifts, or well any other mass building, ohh i mean, compound exercise.

seriously. body part splits are great for professional level bodybuilders that have spend 10+ years getting huge and require massive amounts of volume to stimulate growth. they are also likely on massive amount of legal and non legal supplementation to speed up recovery and increase work capacity. and even then anytime you add in compound movements you are working more then 1 muscle and therefore fail in doing 1 body part a day. most body parts will get hit several times a week no matter what unless you only do isolation exercises.

to best help you, lets find out one important thing. what is your goal for working out?

lemeseethem

lemeseethem

Awards

lets see we have:
1)pecs
5)triceps
6)latisumus dorsi
7)spinal erectors
8)low back
9)rectus abdominus
10)obliques
11)quads
12)hamstrings
13)calves
14)hip adductors
15)hip abductors

so we are going for a 15 day cycle. sounds good. and seeing as how we are trying to focus on a specific muscle i guess we can leave out weak ass stuff like overhead pressing, bench press, rows, squats, deadlifts, or well any other mass building, ohh i mean, compound exercise.

seriously. body part splits are great for professional level bodybuilders that have spend 10+ years getting huge and require massive amounts of volume to stimulate growth. they are also likely on massive amount of legal and non legal supplementation to speed up recovery and increase work capacity. and even then anytime you add in compound movements you are working more then 1 muscle and therefore fail in doing 1 body part a day. most body parts will get hit several times a week no matter what unless you only do isolation exercises.

to best help you, lets find out one important thing. what is your goal for working out?
On Mondays I focus on chest and do some light tricep/shoulder work. Wensdays I focus on shoulders and do some light chest/triceps and Fridays I focus on triceps with some light chest and shoulder work. I don't really know much about lifting but in the past year I've put 30 lbs on with this routine but its starting to hurt me that's why I'm posting on here. I want to get stronger and bigger.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Find a program a professional wrote and follow it exactly. Do not change anything!

Bill starr's 5x5
Or mark rippetoes Starting Strength will do you a world of good.

Get to researching! Google google!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Don't do this. Follow a basic split and give your muscle time to recover. Remember they grow outside of the gym not in it.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
On Mondays I focus on chest and do some light tricep/shoulder work. Wensdays I focus on shoulders and do some light chest/triceps and Fridays I focus on triceps with some light chest and shoulder work. I don't really know much about lifting but in the past year I've put 30 lbs on with this routine but its starting to hurt me that's why I'm posting on here. I want to get stronger and bigger.
its starting to hurt likely due to the overworking of the front side of your body when compared to the backside.

following a proven program is a great way to learn to program as well. it can teach you how to balance the body and how to maintain progress. there have been good suggestions so far with a 5x5 program like bill star, starting strength, or madcow, and stronglifts.

there is also the popular 5/3/1 which allows for different accessory work to better fit your goals. if you want size you can do boring but big accessory work. there is a new high frequency version that may be to your likings to workout more times in a week.

i would also highly recommend doing lots of prehab work on the upper back and rear shoulders. like band pullaparts and facepulls with some rolling on the middle and lower traps.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

lets see we have:
1)pecs
5)triceps
6)latisumus dorsi
7)spinal erectors
8)low back
9)rectus abdominus
10)obliques
11)quads
12)hamstrings
13)calves
14)hip adductors
15)hip abductors
Most clever response ever!

chrishenrique

chrishenrique

Awards
the muscles must take a rest after each workout, so for ex: train your chest 1time/week

boogyman

Awards
I prefer to think of it as training movements not muscles.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
the muscles must take a rest after each workout, so for ex: train your chest 1time/week
that is a very vague answer.

it is impossible to say how often to work a muscle without including the other critical variables of intensity and volume. some other variables to take into account for more advanced program developers; training age, conditioning, and recovery capacity.

back to frequency (1 or more times in a time period), volume and intensity. if you change one you have to change the others to compensate to fit into ones training age, conditioning, and recovery capacity. so if you say once a week, then how much intensity and volume in that workout do i need?

lemeseethem

lemeseethem

Awards
I did some research and just did my first week on a new program. Chest on Monday, legs on Tuesday, shoulders on wed, arms on Thursday and back on Fridays.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I did some research and just did my first week on a new program. Chest on Monday, legs on Tuesday, shoulders on wed, arms on Thursday and back on Fridays.
all of the great advice in this thread and this is what you come up with?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
so where do you fit in the bench press? as it includes chest, arms, and shoulders.

where do you fit in squats and deadlifts as they include the back and legs.

where do you fit in overhead presses as it includes shoulders and arms.

where do you fit in rows, pullups, etc., as they include the arms.

what did you decide upon for progression? for mobility work? for conditioning? at what intensity do you do each exercise and each set? do you any planned deloads?

lemeseethem

lemeseethem

Awards
image-2449545715.jpg

This is what I did last week. I powerlifted for 3 years so I really like the high weight/low reps. I could go back to lifting three days a week and know what I'm doing a little better but I really want to lift 5 days a week to help with work/school stress

lemeseethem

lemeseethem

Awards
And I'm working the heavy compound lifts on that sheet at about 70% right now.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been working out one muscle group a day now for the last month and have seen a difference compared to when I was doing two groups a day! Sun: biceps Mon: triceps Tues:Chest Weds: Back Thurs and Friday I rest then Sat: Shoulders. Cardio after my workout works my legs! :)

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
View attachment 74656

This is what I did last week. I powerlifted for 3 years so I really like the high weight/low reps. I could go back to lifting three days a week and know what I'm doing a little better but I really want to lift 5 days a week to help with work/school stress
on your workout:
drop the leg press and leg extensions. do more pistols, step ups, bulgarian split squats, front squats, zercher squats, goodmornings, stiff legged deadlifts, romainain deadlifts, belt squats, etc.

drop the upright rows of any kind.

overall, for a body part split is seems really light. i would do that much volume in 3 days a week and i keep cutting my workouts short. it also only takes me 90 minutes to get through a workout.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I've been working out one muscle group a day now for the last month and have seen a difference compared to when I was doing two groups a day! Sun: biceps Mon: triceps Tues:Chest Weds: Back Thurs and Friday I rest then Sat: Shoulders. Cardio after my workout works my legs! :)
you can change a workout and see a difference for a short time as its something new to the body. it does not mean it is better.

and i cant tell you how many times i saw people that loved splits try and design a full body workout and make a horrible pile of crap. usually it would be their split crammed into 2 or 3 days instead of focusing on movement patterns. the same goes for people that love full body, the usually cant design a split worth a damn.

most people cant design even the workouts they claim work so well. they get results cause they believe in the workout and push as hard as they can in the workout. many people half ass a workout they dont believe in and then say it doesnt work. or my fav, they give it 1-3 tried and say it doesnt work. to truly know if it works or not you need to give it at least 3 months, preferably 6 months to a year. at least for people that have lifted for some time. newbs will gain by walking in to a gym, lucky bastards.

lemeseethem

lemeseethem

Awards
you can change a workout and see a difference for a short time as its something new to the body. it does not mean it is better.

and i cant tell you how many times i saw people that loved splits try and design a full body workout and make a horrible pile of crap. usually it would be their split crammed into 2 or 3 days instead of focusing on movement patterns. the same goes for people that love full body, the usually cant design a split worth a damn.

most people cant design even the workouts they claim work so well. they get results cause they believe in the workout and push as hard as they can in the workout. many people half ass a workout they dont believe in and then say it doesnt work. or my fav, they give it 1-3 tried and say it doesnt work. to truly know if it works or not you need to give it at least 3 months, preferably 6 months to a year. at least for people that have lifted for some time. newbs will gain by walking in to a gym, lucky bastards.
The way I was working out was fine until I started getting stronger, the last three weeks I was doing it my back stayed pretty sore the entire time. The bet gains I've ever gotten were when I did a variation of sheiko #29. I really want to liftv5 days a week though.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The way I was working out was fine until I started getting stronger, the last three weeks I was doing it my back stayed pretty sore the entire time. The bet gains I've ever gotten were when I did a variation of sheiko #29. I really want to liftv5 days a week though.
Check out Layne Norton's PHAT program. 5 days a week and pretty well balanced.

ReedSkin

ReedSkin

Awards
I am so confused and mind blown at this thread.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I am so confused and mind blown at this thread.
what can we clarify for you? anything specifically as i do feel i have gotten on a soapbox for some posts without much specifics for help.

ReedSkin

ReedSkin

Awards
what can we clarify for you? anything specifically as i do feel i have gotten on a soapbox for some posts without much specifics for help.
You have done more than good bro, I was referring to some of @letmeseethem 's post. :veryhappy: