Personal Training Certification Help

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Would those be in a healthcare provider cert?
    Yes, I actually got the same certification the first time around. I believe its about the highest you can get from a one time course.

2. Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Would those be in a healthcare provider cert?
    not sure, best to check it out before hand
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Yes, I actually got the same certification the first time around. I believe its about the highest you can get from a one time course.
    Yes that's what I heard also! cool.

4. If I can chime in; don't just study what you need to know to pass, i.e. don't just learn the bare minimum required; insted learn what you don't need to know as well, that way when you look at new topics or hear new information you have a much bigger picture to view it from.

The more you learn, ultimately the better you will be

5. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Honestly, as a long time professional within the industry, as long as your certificate is NASM, NSCA, or ACSM it shouldn't matter much.

ACSM is probably best if you plan to work with people who have slight medical conditions (i.e.: baby boomers with high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.)
    NASM is good all around, especially if you want to work with average joes/janes.
    NSCA might be most appropriate if you plan to work with athletes.

Beyond that, it is experience, further education (attend conferences, seminars, read read read...and not BS blogs, but books by authors with experience and credentials), and the ability to market yourself.
    This is a very good summary and game plan for those looking into things. My cert is from NASM because most of the gyms around here preferred that certification (idk why just based on those I talked to in the area). The three mentioned here should be enough for most places.

Our schools curriculum was based off ACSM so I went with the NASM just to get a different experience for my studying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    My experience is that the curriculum that is prevalent within academia contains myopic information regarding training and doesn't delve into how different each sports particular energy system needs, season length, macrocycles, etc. For example, the NSCA only teaches one particular style of periodization, which is linear aka Western periodization. The degree you get and where you go for it is, more or less, irrelevant. The important part is to never stop learning and to gain the tools on how to obtain/acquire information. Don't get me wrong; they're are some damn good S&C professors out there, but most of them have barely spent any time in the gym and only have paper knowledge.
    This x100. We spent probably 90% of the time discussing aerobic performance in class and within our text, but the ability to read, study literature, and form opinions is what I really took away from school. Helped me immensely with continuing learning beyond college.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
    •   

6. Yeah, thinking about just buying the NSCA textbook from eBay or something and study it and then take the exam when I think I'm ready. Way cheaper

7. Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Yeah, thinking about just buying the NSCA textbook from eBay or something and study it and then take the exam when I think I'm ready. Way cheaper
    still a good idea to the the exam content booklet and all 3 practices tests...

8. Quote Originally Posted by LeanMaShane View Post
    Yeah, thinking about just buying the NSCA textbook from eBay or something and study it and then take the exam when I think I'm ready. Way cheaper
    I'm not sure what you have around you for Universities or Colleges with Kinesiology programs, but many of them offer a strength and conditioning course (I teach a few at Univ. Kentucky). You can always talk to the professor to see if you can sit in and audit the course. Most won't mind, especially when you show interest in the content compared to some students who have to take it for credit.

Br

9. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

I'm not sure what you have around you for Universities or Colleges with Kinesiology programs, but many of them offer a strength and conditioning course (I teach a few at Univ. Kentucky). You can always talk to the professor to see if you can sit in and audit the course. Most won't mind, especially when you show interest in the content compared to some students who have to take it for credit.

Br
    Lol I'm gonna go to the University of Kentucky.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. personal training certification. help...
    By chitown58 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM
  2. personal training certifications. help...
    By chitown58 in forum Forum Suggestions and News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
  3. Personal Training certifications
    By Erik2003 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 09:31 AM
  4. Personal Training Certification?
    By tmb6x in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
  5. Personal Training Certification