Squat and Deadlift Mobility

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I walked into the gym today and the staff member who swiped my card said "Squatting today?" To which I replied, "yes, how did you know?" He said "I saw the lifting belt" Then, after a moment of awkward deep thought he said "I feel bad for you". Politely I replied, "I feel bad you don't know the pleasure attained with deep heavy squats".

That brings us to our activation/mobility exercise of the session. Below is a video of deep squat extension rotations. These are a great way to increase hip and adductor mobility needed for deep squatting. You also get the deep core and t-spine extensors activated that are needed to maintain a rigid posture during the squat. Getting into the position, and the squat to stands at the end are very good prior to deadlifts for increasing mobility in the hips and training the flat back posture needed during heavy deads.

[video=youtube;zs5O_s9qV7I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs5O_s9qV7I&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
i will be trying this

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Did he have anything to say after that?

You should see if yu can get a section on the forum to get all these vids up

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been posting them along side training video's in my log as well. The title of the log is "Its about dominance" or something to that extent.

Br

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been following your videos recently and enjoy the information. I have an off topic question but relative to squat and deadlift if you don't mind answering...

What's your best method for recovery for heavy squats and deadlifts in terms of immediate post workout? I run through all your generic stretches and foam rolling but I didn't know if you had any new tricks. What are your thoughts on inversion therapy?

If you've already posted something on this I apologize; I haven't had the chance to watch all your videos yet.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What if you can't get into that position?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive been following your videos recently and enjoy the information. I have an off topic question but relative to squat and deadlift if you don't mind answering...

What's your best method for recovery for heavy squats and deadlifts in terms of immediate post workout? I run through all your generic stretches and foam rolling but I didn't know if you had any new tricks. What are your thoughts on inversion therapy?

If you've already posted something on this I apologize; I haven't had the chance to watch all your videos yet.
Probably a good cool down would be most effective, with some foam rolling later on in the day, and depending on what your goals are maybe some ice and heat therapy. Lying with your legs up for a while will help with fluid retention and as well, although the cool down should take care of that as well.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What if you can't get into that position?
Gray Cook uses a deep squat movement progression you can check out.

One of the stages involves putting your hands on blocks rather than on the floor. I had success when I used this.

You can read the section in his book, 'Athletic Body in Balance' on Google Books. Search for deep squat progression within the text, pages 63 onwards.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gray Cook uses a deep squat movement progression you can check out.

One of the stages involves putting your hands on blocks rather than on the floor. I had success when I used this.

You can read the section in his book, 'Athletic Body in Balance' on Google Books. Search for deep squat progression within the text, pages 63 onwards.
Thanks man. I'll check that out.

Zir, my issue is when I grab my feet and try to squat down, I stop really, really high. Whenever I've stretched my groin and abductors for squatting, I would normally grab onto the side of a power rack and then squat down like that. Doing this, I don't have issues.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

BW unilateral thigh (e.g. walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats) helps to loosen the hips up and gets some extra bloodflow to the quads. Just a set or two is plenty provided the ROM is done properly.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man. I'll check that out.

Zir, my issue is when I grab my feet and try to squat down, I stop really, really high. Whenever I've stretched my groin and abductors for squatting, I would normally grab onto the side of a power rack and then squat down like that. Doing this, I don't have issues.
Tight hamstrings and overactive hip flexors would be my guess. Perhaps also some underactivation of the deep spinal extensors and intrinsic core muscles.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Jason, I tried these yesterday. I can get to the bottom no problem and can hold my feet. I don't have the flexibility to get my arm behind my body when reaching back though. Tight pec and shoulders are the likely culprits. shoulders are whack after 5 surgeries, but i'm doing door stretches to try to loosen the pecs

any other ideas?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jason, I tried these yesterday. I can get to the bottom no problem and can hold my feet. I don't have the flexibility to get my arm behind my body when reaching back though. Tight pec and shoulders are the likely culprits. shoulders are whack after 5 surgeries, but i'm doing door stretches to try to loosen the pecs

any other ideas?
Door stretches, lat stretches, and form roll the lats, pecs and pec minor.

You might also be lacking some thoracic mobility and that's why its difficult to reach back (ie. rotate and extend the t-spine)

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
I foam roll my lats, but when I try to foam roll my Pecs I feel like I'm doing it wrong.
I don't really feel anything, I tried using a lacrosse ball, and I can make it hurt, but I feel like I'm doing it with no pattern.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Try it with a tennis or lacrosse ball on the wall. I copied these instructions for my SMR manual

Set-up
�� Stand next to a wall and place a tennis ball on the wall at chest height.
�� Push your pecs into the ball to hold it in place.
Performance
�� With the tennis ball pinned between your pecs and the wall, roll it back and forth. It may help to work in small sections as the tennis ball doesn’t have a large circumference.
�� Roll for 30–60 seconds, and then switch sides.
�� To increase the intensity, horizontally abduct and externally rotate the arm to place the pectoralis major on stretch.
Alternate Modalities
�� Use a harder ball to increase the pressure.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You'll look silly doing these walks, but they are an excellent way to activate the three glutei muscles. Maintain the whole foot in contact with the floor and the feet facing forward at hip width apart.

[video=youtube_share;YP9LAo3XWeQ]http://youtu.be/YP9LAo3XWeQ[/video]

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Use this exercise to activate and strengthen the gluteus maximus. Keep the core engaged and forcefully extend the hips.

[video=youtube_share;SSqRR1eAjNw]http://youtu.be/SSqRR1eAjNw[/video]

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try it with a tennis or lacrosse ball on the wall. I copied these instructions for my SMR manual

Set-up
? Stand next to a wall and place a tennis ball on the wall at chest height.
? Push your pecs into the ball to hold it in place.
Performance
? With the tennis ball pinned between your pecs and the wall, roll it back and forth. It may help to work in small sections as the tennis ball doesn't have a large circumference.
? Roll for 30-60 seconds, and then switch sides.
? To increase the intensity, horizontally abduct and externally rotate the arm to place the pectoralis major on stretch.
Alternate Modalities
? Use a harder ball to increase the pressure.
The same SMR manual you emailed?

I started it recently and its ridiculously helpful. Thank you for that BTW.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do those with barbells with 135 for 15. Heaviest I've went was 245. I feel like once I go to heavy I can't focuse on the glutes enough.

What am I doing wrong ? With 135 I'm on fire though
I did with 225 but I also prefer tthe lighter weight for glute activation.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I do those with barbells with 135 for 15. Heaviest I've went was 245. I feel like once I go to heavy I can't focuse on the glutes enough.

Possibly muscle fiber activation is more concentrated/localized at lower weight for targeting glutes specifically as opposed to activating supportive muscles at higher weights? Ermm...

I've never seen this before and will be incorporating it next leg day

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
hey jason..ive got a problem with my hip flexors..they are really sore after squating..and not good sore..more tender and painful..i do tons of foam rolling and dynamic stretching before and static stretching afteras well..can this be form related.. i like to think i have good form but then again i cant really see myself while i squat..i cna tell you i keep my back tight, knees behind toes, and drive through my heels. should i upload a video?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I'd guess its something similar to what palmfist said. As you get up in higher weight you might not be fully extending the hip and instead using more back muscles to achieve the desired height. With 135 you are likely getting a hyper-extension, which will maximize glute activity.

You can also try single leg barbell glute hip bridge or band bridge. I'll try to tape some of those on Friday or Saturday. Tomorrow is linear acceleration day, but I'll be pressed for time so I'm not sure how much recording I can do.

Br

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd guess its something similar to what palmfist said. As you get up in higher weight you might not be fully extending the hip and instead using more back muscles to achieve the desired height. With 135 you are likely getting a hyper-extension, which will maximize glute activity.

You can also try single leg barbell glute hip bridge or band bridge. I'll try to tape some of those on Friday or Saturday. Tomorrow is linear acceleration day, but I'll be pressed for time so I'm not sure how much recording I can do.

Br
That was my guess as well (especially considering the wicked lower back pump I had after) it wasn't a good look lol.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hey jason..ive got a problem with my hip flexors..they are really sore after squating..and not good sore..more tender and painful..i do tons of foam rolling and dynamic stretching before and static stretching afteras well..can this be form related.. i like to think i have good form but then again i cant really see myself while i squat..i cna tell you i keep my back tight, knees behind toes, and drive through my heels. should i upload a video?

Yeah, upload a video. Myself and the other experienced members can all give you feedback. I do my video's from the iPhone.

Where in the hip flexor is it? Psoas (deep around groin area) or rectus femoris superficial around iliac spine and down toward knee.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Quick question. Looking for information or literature regarding why a lifters knees will not track in line during the lift portion of a squat. I know I read something recently on this site, just can't find it now. I've recently convinced my wife to start bodybuilding and I'm trying to teach what I can. Her knees travel inward and I'm not sure if its weak hamstrings or an imbalance in the major muscle groups. Im going to have her start single leg exercises for now. I also remember reading something about a small muscle that travels across the patella? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

napalm

napalm

Awards
Quick question. Looking for information or literature regarding why a lifters knees will not track in line during the lift portion of a squat. I know I read something recently on this site, just can't find it now. I've recently convinced my wife to start bodybuilding and I'm trying to teach what I can. Her knees travel inward and I'm not sure if its weak hamstrings or an imbalance in the major muscle groups. Im going to have her start single leg exercises for now. I also remember reading something about a small muscle that travels across the patella? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Knees coming in are causes by weak adductors. You are correct that she prolly has weak hamstrings and also glutes as well. Start her with the bar and ensure every single rep is done correctly. Have her turn her toes out about 30 degrees as well. This will also help the knees track correctly.

"knees out" is a simple verbal cue to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Thanks
That is a whole host of problems that is especially common in women.

It usually starts at the hips and works down to the feet.

If the pelvis is rotated anterior (due to tight hip flexors...does she work a desk job, wear high heels often, or do a lot of leg raise type exercises) then that will internally rotate the femur (thigh bone). As a result, the adductors shorten and the abductors are lengthened and become weaker. If we move further down the skeleton, you might also see the feet flatten (pronate, lose the arch, etc.) during the squat.

To fix it, as mentioned above are coaching cues.

Stretch: adductors and hip flexors
Strengthen: abductors and gluteus maximus

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Time to whip out the box for her. What kind of shoes does she wear while training? This has a huge effect on the balance of the body and what you should wear for athletics/running is often different from lower body training.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Shoes aren't the issue. I have her in zero drop trainers. Also been putting her thru different height box squats and different foot placements to help her improve form and find her sweet spot. I'm going to work with ZirREds suggestions. Thank you gentlemen

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shoes aren't the issue. I have her in zero drop trainers. Also been putting her thru different height box squats and different foot placements to help her improve form and find her sweet spot. I'm going to work with ZirREds suggestions. Thank you gentlemen
Not necessarily true regarding shoes. Zero drop simply means that there isn't any level change from heel to mid-foot. That only addresses part of the equation when it comes to footwear and doesn't always fix the other problems, which are cushion and ability to place weight on the outside of the foot. Part of the problem with all of these minimalist shoes is that the amount of material in them is so thin that it's difficult to push your weight to the outside of the foot (aka knees out) as these shoes are not designed for this. When you're unable to really do this, it takes away from the amount of stress that can be placed on the outside of the thighs and hips.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Not necessarily true regarding shoes. Zero drop simply means that there isn't any level change from heel to mid-foot. That only addresses part of the equation when it comes to footwear and doesn't always fix the other problems, which are cushion and ability to place weight on the outside of the foot. Part of the problem with all of these minimalist shoes is that the amount of material in them is so thin that it's difficult to push your weight to the outside of the foot (aka knees out) as these shoes are not designed for this. When you're unable to really do this, it takes away from the amount of stress that can be placed on the outside of the thighs and hips.
Ah. Very interesting indeed. Good point. I will research this issue as well

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This isn't a bad shoe for training in. Nike Free Trainers (not 3.0, 5.0, run, etc.)

I have the live strong male version.

http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?productId=prod705945&NIKE&mkwid=st49OTA1D&CMP=PPC-PLA-Womens-Free+TR+Fit+2+Womens+Training+Shoes&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMKjxI-LhLUCFegWMgodAhcACg

They have a solid heel and toe, and enough heel elevation to do well in low bar back squatting.

My wife has a similar pair, and we see a difference in her squatting in those vs. minimalist NB runners.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
i know this is a bad angle..legs again on monday ill get another up..i know my tibia isnt vertical thats for more quad activation. because thats what i am focusing on now..i already gotta donk. but my knees do stay behind my toes..and agin my hipflexors were killing me.. i am currently taking anatomy so im not completey familiar but id say the psoas major. the flexors towards the groin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxWO5SSAs4U

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i know this is a bad angle..legs again on monday ill get another up..i know my tibia isnt vertical thats for more quad activation. because thats what i am focusing on now..i already gotta donk. but my knees do stay behind my toes..and agin my hipflexors were killing me.. i am currently taking anatomy so im not completey familiar but id say the psoas major. the flexors towards the groin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxWO5SSAs4U
Heels elevate, load shifts forward, you aren't getting deep enough is what I notice.

Increase your calf mobility, get a better pair of training shoes. Increase your anterior tib strength.

Tight hip flexors will cause you to come forward, especially in conjunction with weak deep core muscles. So its time to work the bridges.

Also, if you have the ankle mobility, there is nothing wrong with your knees coming over your toes. Its only when you cannot maintain contact on the ground or the load is no longer over the center of gravity that it is an issue. Look to olympic lifters.

Br

rambo679

rambo679

Awards
  • Established
Just an anecdotal report on the shoes vis a vi squatting, I bought a pair of adidas powerlift trainers because they were on sale, and It made squatting much more comfortable.

Before when I would squat in anything other than my converse pro stars, it was a little uncomfortable, but the powerlift trainers really do make a difference. They don't bump up your numbers by 15 pounds like some reviews claim, but they make squatting properly much easier.

link:
http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-weightlifting-power-lift-trainer-shoes/SN823

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Heels elevate, load shifts forward, you aren't getting deep enough is what I notice.

Increase your calf mobility, get a better pair of training shoes. Increase your anterior tib strength.

Tight hip flexors will cause you to come forward, especially in conjunction with weak deep core muscles. So its time to work the bridges.

Also, if you have the ankle mobility, there is nothing wrong with your knees coming over your toes. Its only when you cannot maintain contact on the ground or the load is no longer over the center of gravity that it is an issue. Look to olympic lifters.

Br
Thanks jason. Ill make some tweaks and get a new vid up on monday.. I think thats is my Full ROM. If i try to go any lower my but dips under shifting the weight forward and rounding of the limbar cud that be because of the tight hipflexors or some other kind of muscle imbalance. Bridges like supine bridges glute barbell bridge and pull throughs?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks jason. Ill make some tweaks and get a new vid up on monday.. I think thats is my Full ROM. If i try to go any lower my but dips under shifting the weight forward and rounding of the limbar cud that be because of the tight hipflexors or some other kind of muscle imbalance. Bridges like supine bridges glute barbell bridge and pull throughs?
Those too.

Bridges like planks.

Your butt dipping under is due to the erector spinae being over powered by tight hamstrings (in many cases) and adductor magnus.

Tight hip flexors don't help.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thoracic mobility, and especially the ability to extend the thoracic vertebrae is important for maintaining good back posture during the dead lift and squat. Use this as an activation and mobility drill.

[video=youtube_share;_hmt67yfb3A]http://youtu.be/_hmt67yfb3A[/video]

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A little more advanced hip mobility. Once you master the cossak squat and strider, you can start adding a few exercises together to increase motor programming and make the mobility work more challenging and enjoyable.

[video=youtube_share;2xVBZqU1AWk]http://youtu.be/2xVBZqU1AWk[/video]

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Psoas activation. I may rant about how sit ups and leg raises and all the other silly ab exercises only target the psoas; HOWEVER, many people have dysfunctional psoas ROM and strength such that they cannot do a standing single leg knee lift above 90 degrees, which in turn compromises performance. Correct it.

[video=youtube_share;NTytThAsVTo]http://youtu.be/NTytThAsVTo[/video]

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gluteal activation.

[video=youtube_share;Si70Jd_bsjk]http://youtu.be/Si70Jd_bsjk[/video]