Squat and Deadlift Mobility - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Squat and Deadlift Mobility

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

Heels elevate, load shifts forward, you aren't getting deep enough is what I notice.

Increase your calf mobility, get a better pair of training shoes. Increase your anterior tib strength.

Tight hip flexors will cause you to come forward, especially in conjunction with weak deep core muscles. So its time to work the bridges.

Also, if you have the ankle mobility, there is nothing wrong with your knees coming over your toes. Its only when you cannot maintain contact on the ground or the load is no longer over the center of gravity that it is an issue. Look to olympic lifters.

Br
    Thanks jason. Ill make some tweaks and get a new vid up on monday.. I think thats is my Full ROM. If i try to go any lower my but dips under shifting the weight forward and rounding of the limbar cud that be because of the tight hipflexors or some other kind of muscle imbalance. Bridges like supine bridges glute barbell bridge and pull throughs?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

I gotta try this, good post.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    Thanks jason. Ill make some tweaks and get a new vid up on monday.. I think thats is my Full ROM. If i try to go any lower my but dips under shifting the weight forward and rounding of the limbar cud that be because of the tight hipflexors or some other kind of muscle imbalance. Bridges like supine bridges glute barbell bridge and pull throughs?
    Those too.

Bridges like planks.

Your butt dipping under is due to the erector spinae being over powered by tight hamstrings (in many cases) and adductor magnus.

Tight hip flexors don't help.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  258 lbs.

^ Genius.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Thoracic mobility, and especially the ability to extend the thoracic vertebrae is important for maintaining good back posture during the dead lift and squat. Use this as an activation and mobility drill.

6. Enhanced Body Formulations

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Thoracic mobility, and especially the ability to extend the thoracic vertebrae is important for maintaining good back posture during the dead lift and squat. Use this as an activation and mobility drill.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/_hmt67yfb3A
    Will these help overhead squats?

My arms come forward and hard for me to keep bar over ead
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator

For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    Will these help overhead squats?

My arms come forward and hard for me to keep bar over ead
    Yes, will help your torso stay more upright and your chest higher.

Check out this thread for some good ideas to increase mobility and stability in the shoulder girdle, which should really help you keep the centered over your body.

Scapular activations
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

A little more advanced hip mobility. Once you master the cossak squat and strider, you can start adding a few exercises together to increase motor programming and make the mobility work more challenging and enjoyable.

9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Psoas activation. I may rant about how sit ups and leg raises and all the other silly ab exercises only target the psoas; HOWEVER, many people have dysfunctional psoas ROM and strength such that they cannot do a standing single leg knee lift above 90 degrees, which in turn compromises performance. Correct it.

10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Gluteal activation.

11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Psoas activation. I may rant about how sit ups and leg raises and all the other silly ab exercises only target the psoas; HOWEVER, many people have dysfunctional psoas ROM and strength such that they cannot do a standing single leg knee lift above 90 degrees, which in turn compromises performance. Correct it.

Is it a knee lift if you bend at the knee, or do you have to keep a straight leg?
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Is it a knee lift if you bend at the knee, or do you have to keep a straight leg?
    Bent knee at 90 degrees or less. Basically what you see in the exercise, except standing.

Things to look out for are a shift in weight at the hips (they should stay level), bending of the support knee (it should stay fairly straight), or leaning backwards.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

I use this exercise to train the horizontal jump and to improve sprinting power, but it can also be used to activate and strengthen the glutes and hamstrings in a dynamic nature.

14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

Video Link: http://youtu.be/NTytThAsVTo
    Just did these on an active recovery type thing at home and notice my right psoas is weaker. Kind of makes sense on my right side being worse than left on unilateral work, as well as being more susceptible to strains.

Awesome stuff.

Gonna work up to the one above this.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  211 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I walked into the gym today and the staff member who swiped my card said "Squatting today?" To which I replied, "yes, how did you know?" He said "I saw the lifting belt" Then, after a moment of awkward deep thought he said "I feel bad for you". Politely I replied, "I feel bad you don't know the pleasure attained with deep heavy squats".

That brings us to our activation/mobility exercise of the session. Below is a video of deep squat extension rotations. These are a great way to increase hip and adductor mobility needed for deep squatting. You also get the deep core and t-spine extensors activated that are needed to maintain a rigid posture during the squat. Getting into the position, and the squat to stands at the end are very good prior to deadlifts for increasing mobility in the hips and training the flat back posture needed during heavy deads.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs5O_s9qV7I&feature=yo utu.be
    So I have been trying to get into this position and have been having trouble balancing my weight as well as I feel right knee pain. I have checked my knee with various test and even went to visit a physical therapist who says there is nothing wrong. Are there any other reasons you could think of that may be causing for me to be unable to do this exercise. I enjoy the videos you post and feel as though they are extremely beneficial. I'm just becoming frustrated with the fact that I'm unable to perform this exercise. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/232784-rushing-into-my.html

Competition bound 2014
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush954 View Post
    So I have been trying to get into this position and have been having trouble balancing my weight as well as I feel right knee pain. I have checked my knee with various test and even went to visit a physical therapist who says there is nothing wrong. Are there any other reasons you could think of that may be causing for me to be unable to do this exercise. I enjoy the videos you post and feel as though they are extremely beneficial. I'm just becoming frustrated with the fact that I'm unable to perform this exercise. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Where in the movement do you feel the pain? How far into the ROM. What is happening with your weight, do you feel like you are going to fall forward or backward? Lack of ankle mobility is often an issue when getting into a deep squat. How does your knee track, in the direction of the toes or inward? You might also have a tight hip capsule, or lack of internal rotation ROM.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  211 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Where in the movement do you feel the pain? How far into the ROM. What is happening with your weight, do you feel like you are going to fall forward or backward? Lack of ankle mobility is often an issue when getting into a deep squat. How does your knee track, in the direction of the toes or inward? You might also have a tight hip capsule, or lack of internal rotation ROM.
    I get close to parallel to the ground and my right knee starts to hurt. My knees go towards my toes. I also feel like I'm falling backward. I will try to upload a video so you can see.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/232784-rushing-into-my.html

Competition bound 2014
  18. New Member

Great videos Zir red. I would probably do some ankle mobility drills as well. Or do you have those?
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Thanks Anoop. I do them, but I haven't recorded any yet. Good idea!
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

awesome vids, I need to do more of these..sitting most of my day is killing my hips :/
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  213 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks Anoop. I do them, but I haven't recorded any yet. Good idea!
    Bump for videos

Zir have you gotten a chance for the ankle mobility drills? I'm recovering from a sprain/fracture in my ankle that is really hindering my ability to train legs (just did my wendler deload session today for my first leg session in two weeks, which has been extremely aggrevating since my legs are a huge priority to me for this offseason). I feel like all the bracing and lack of movement for my ankle is decreasing my already limited ankle mobility (which in turn is going to effect my squatting even more so than it already had been). Id appreciate any help or insight you or anyone else could provide.
    Current Unsponsored XGELS log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/238229-jswains-run-xgels.html
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

I have not, but thanks for the reminder. I too am suffering from ankle issues, and it appears I have a series of micro-fractures in mine. It doesn't hurt to squat or deadlift, but anything involving powerful flexion (sprinting, cleans, jumping) hurts. Have an MRI next week and will find out more.

FMS has a very simple, easy to do one. Get one one knee. Set a pole up (vertical) equal to the toes on the inside and outside of the foot. Move the knee forward past both poles (all the while keeping the heel in contact with the floor), then to the outside of one, then to the outside of the inner pole. Do a few sets of 8-12
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Subbd

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squats and deadlifts - ESSENTIAL? Aid in debate
    By Squelchy in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 12:31 PM
  2. lower back pain = no squats and deadlifts :(
    By 310lifter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM
  3. 5x5 squat and deadlifts
    By aztec02 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 09:41 AM
  4. squatting and deadlifting on the same day??
    By teddybear in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
  5. Squats and deadlifts...
    By LunaHotel in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 12:17 AM