Exerices that you dont need scapular retraction

dbrodrive1211

Awards
I figured it would be easier to name the exercises you don't need to retract your scapula on instead of the ones that you did.also scapular depression too

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Conventional deadlifts when you pull the bar off the floor.

Forearm wall slides (since the point is to protract your scapula hard in order to activate the serratus anterior).

Prone bridges, protract the scapula hard.

Br

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Conventional deadlifts when you pull the bar off the floor.
Br
What about at the top of the motion?

How about while bench pressing. I have always retracted

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What about at the top of the motion?

How about while bench pressing. I have always retracted
Yes and yes. At the top of the motion you should retract your scapula, and they will naturally retract as the bar passes the knees. When pulling off the ground pushing your scap forward moves shortens the rom a little.

Definitelyretract on bench press!

dbrodrive1211

Awards
I might have worded that wrong..what I meant was aren't you supposed to retract on just about every exercise just to kind of keep the upper body stable??is that right..might have heard that wrong from somewhere ..if so what I was asking if there are any exercises that you wouldn't retract your scap on

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I might have worded that wrong..what I meant was aren't you supposed to retract on just about every exercise just to kind of keep the upper body stable??is that right..might have heard that wrong from somewhere ..if so what I was asking if there are any exercises that you wouldn't retract your scap on
I understood, and the exercises listed above are the ones where you would want to more forcefully protract the scapula.

Br

dbrodrive1211

Awards
Oh ok so on things like arm trap shoulder exercises,it's really not important to retract or depress?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh ok so on things like arm trap shoulder exercises,it's really not important to retract or depress?
What do you mean "arm trap shoulder"?

You should still maintain some level of scapula depression and rectraction on shoulder exercises, especially over head presses...but it should be more natural since the scapula will need to rotate to complete the ROM and that will require the scapula depressors.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Not EVERY exercise.. But im pretty sure ya should on all compound lifts. Basically anything that isnt an isolation exercise

dbrodrive1211

Awards
Cool yeah that's what I meant was compound exercises for example on a standing barbell curl it was better to retract and depress the scapula instead of letting your back curve and have your shoulders get in front of your body