Is it a bad idea to train triceps the day after training chest?

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I run every day (7-8 miles, ~8:00 min./mile pace) and then go to the gym to train. I used to work both chest and triceps during the same workout, but I was wondering if it would be ill-advised to train my chest on one day and then triceps the next day (e.g., chest Monday and triceps Tuesday). I tend to feel fairly exhausted and "zapped" after training my chest and would prefer to start training triceps the following day, but I don't want to do it at the cost of muscle gains. FWIW, I have actually done this "routine" twice so far in the last 2 weeks, and even though it might be some sort of placebo effect, I could swear that my triceps have been looking thicker and more defined (it's also nice to have much more energy during my triceps workout).

Thanks...

U

uvawahoowa

Awards
I run every day (7-8 miles, ~8:00 min./mile pace) and then go to the gym to train. I used to work both chest and triceps during the same workout, but I was wondering if it would be ill-advised to train my chest on one day and then triceps the next day (e.g., chest Monday and triceps Tuesday). I tend to feel fairly exhausted and "zapped" after training my chest and would prefer to start training triceps the following day, but I don't want to do it at the cost of muscle gains. FWIW, I have actually done this "routine" twice so far in the last 2 weeks, and even though it might be some sort of placebo effect, I could swear that my triceps have been looking thicker and more defined (it's also nice to have much more energy during my triceps workout).

Thanks...
You're "costing" yourself more muscle by running for an hour before lifting than doing tris the day after chest.

It depends on how much volume you're doing on chest, that will determine how broken down your tris are. Personally I would avoid it if I could, but if diet and sleep are in place it shouldnt change things too much

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I share some of the same concerns as uva about your routine and overall program, too. That said, I don't see a problem splitting chest and triceps by a day.

SpicedCider

SpicedCider

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the replies. Do you guys think it makes a difference that my running is slower and more "steady-state" as opposed to fast sprinting? I figured that since everyone says that steady-state running isn't very effective for fat-loss, it wouldn't really burn much muscle, either. Could I really be burning away my gains by running?

U

uvawahoowa

Awards
Thanks for the replies. Do you guys think it makes a difference that my running is slower and more "steady-state" as opposed to fast sprinting? I figured that since everyone says that steady-state running isn't very effective for fat-loss, it wouldn't really burn much muscle, either. Could I really be burning away my gains by running?
It's not that you're burning Muscle during the actual run, you're burning energy and taxing your body prior to lifting

Lift first, cardio after. And no need for nearly that much cardio if you're trying to gain strength/size as your primary goal

S

SlyCamaro

Awards
I been doing it for months now, chest on Mon and arms on Tue. But no matter how hard I work chest my tri's dont get worked all that much or seem tired. If your tri's are getting tired duing chest, that might mean they are weak. I would do it 2 days later if I were you, and do close grip bench, dips, and skull crushers

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know it's more common to group chest/tri and back/bi, but for a long time I did chest/bi, back/tri and those were on consecutive days and had good results. Tri's are an accessory muscle worked when doing chest. So, they don't take the brunt of the training and will likely be rested enough to hit them hard and fresh the next day. I did it this way when I first started to lift because after doing chest I just couldn't hit tri's hard enough.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

It's not that steady state exercise isn't effective for fat loss. It does. It's that you burn your calories while in that steady state, but when you are done you do not generally continue to burn calories. Or at least not to a great degree. People tote HIIT for the EPOC... Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption. In short terms it boosts your metabolism and keeps it burning even after you are done working out. HIIT is also claimed to be better for type II muscle fibers or fast twitch muscle fibers... which are better for lifting and strength. Steady state plays on Type I or slow twitch muscle fibers.

First, if you enjoy running, keep running. You should enjoy your workouts, sports, etc. I myself run quite a bit to include marathons.

Though the amount of calories burned during your steady state run, coupled with being already worn down before lifting, coupled witht he type I muscle fiber recruitment can all play an adverse effect in your lifting.

I found that the best mix for me is to lift like I want which usually consists of 4 days a week focused on strength programs and then add various forms of HIIT running on top of it. I normally follow Crossfit Endurance's workout of the day for running. Which I try and do either 3 hr before or 3hr after lifting. Occasionally I mix in some longer runs, C2 rower, and such for fun. It's been good for me and I'm happy where I am at, though liek everyone else I'm always trying to get bigger, faster, stronger.