Incline DB press...Help!!!

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi all,
Maybe someone can help me here. When I do incline db press, I can't help but arch my lower back slightly. Is this incorrect? When I try to keep my lower back pinned down, I feel like I'm integrating to much shoulder into the movement. Anyone have any basic tips for effective incline DB? press? Thanks fellas.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
my lower back arches slightly when i'm going heavy. perhaps, you're going too heavy if you think it's causing a problem. or, perhaps you don't have the incline bench set far enough back.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So the angle of the incline might be to much? Thats possible, but I don't think thats the problem. I also feel slight pain where the upper pecs meet the delts. Is that normal? I have pretty decent shoulder development.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
are you going too low? if i go far below parallel, my shoulders get too involved and feel like they're about to rip or something.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So the angle of the incline might be to much? Thats possible, but I don't think thats the problem. I also feel slight pain where the upper pecs meet the delts. Is that normal? I have pretty decent shoulder development.
If you are using a standard 'fixed' incline them more than likely the angle is too high. Most are at about 45deg...way too high. I have always had trouble with my delts when using that angle until....well you guessed it, I stopped using the 45deg fixed angle incline bench. I usually alternate (cyclicaly) between 25 and 35 deg on my incline (BB or DB). I still experince some strain on my delts when at the 35deg, but significantly less, and zero at 25deg. Since then my pecs have improved significantly as well.

Over arching your back could certainly mean that you are attempting weight beyond you real ability. Form first, weight later. JMO.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ahh...thanks beez and b5150. So, basically drop below the 45 degree angle? Doesnt this reduce the use of the the upper pectorials? Seems like a hybrid of flat/incline @25-35 degrees. The benches at my gym have multiple slots for various angles, as well as a adjustable seat, which I usually incline so my but doesn't slip off. So b5150, you find the 25/35 angle still effective for upper chest? I hope bobo chims in here... Thanks for the help brothers!

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, does anyone know a good movement to get my pecs closer together, they seem so far apart. I assume the more mass I have, the closer the chest will appear? :think:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So b5150, you find the 25/35 angle still effective for upper chest?
More so than at a highre angle. As I stated the higher angle incorporates way to much delt (for me and some others) and you are using less pecs. By using the slightly lower angle I isolate my pecs much better. Good luck.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, now that i think about it, i usually position my incline to around 25 or so. 45 is almost like doing military press.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys rock!!! This is very useful info!! Hopefully next time I have a chest day my shoulders wont feel like they are ripped into pieces. Keep the info coming!!!

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I too only set the incline bench to two or three "clicks" up. I wish they had an adjustable angle barbell incline station. I think the fixed incline barbells in gyms are usually too steep of an incline for my tastes.

builtolast

Awards
Speaking of inclines, I have a problem with my lower back too. When I put my back flat against the bench (at 45 deg.) and then lift, I usually feel a pinch in my mid-low back. But when I put a slight arch in my back, it relaxes a TON, and feels much better. Too steep im guessing? Maybe a tiny arch in your back is good?

AllNatural

Awards
One thing that I discovered takes a lot of the stress off the delts and onto the pecs when doing incline DB presses, is to lower the dumbells at nipple-level. At the top of the motion, the dumbell is right above my shoulder, but at the bottom, the center of the dumbell is at nipple level, not at shoulder level. It helps a TON. My upper-middle pecs have improved greatly from doing this.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One thing that I discovered takes a lot of the stress off the delts and onto the pecs when doing incline DB presses, is to lower the dumbells at nipple-level. At the top of the motion, the dumbell is right above my shoulder, but at the bottom, the center of the dumbell is at nipple level, not at shoulder level. It helps a TON. My upper-middle pecs have improved greatly from doing this.
Good feedback AllNatural!!

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Speaking of inclines, I have a problem with my lower back too. When I put my back flat against the bench (at 45 deg.) and then lift, I usually feel a pinch in my mid-low back. But when I put a slight arch in my back, it relaxes a TON, and feels much better. Too steep im guessing? Maybe a tiny arch in your back is good?
Yeah its natural and its going to happen unless your really tall or your on a really short bench. By the way I bench with more of a powerlifter style with my back arched and shoulder blades pulled back tight and it really helped me get rid of my shoulder pains.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
This may help w/ the shorter lifters out there but if your feet are resting flat on the ground and the bench is just a bit to high I've noticed it pulls my hips/lower back off the bench. I just put a dumbbell on its end and put my feet on that so that I have an easier time keeping my back on the bench.