Shoulder bone peak (acromion) injury

1. Member
    Answers

Shoulder bone peak (acromion) injury

Hi. My second post here. I did a search with "Acromion" which seems to be the proper term for the bone peak where the Delts meet the Traps. Didn't find anything.

Yesterday I was doing heavy upright rowings, 3-5 reps. It is my first time in 10 years training that I go with such low reps. Towards the very end, I felt something pull at my right-hand side acromion. A very slight pain.

Right after that happened, I put the weight down and felt that little bony bump. Except it isn't a rounded bump anymore, it is now split in the middle by a 1/8" wide crack... Or so it seems.

I finished my delt training with some "Larry Scott Dumbell Presses" (a modified military press) - with no problem. Then I did triceps, no problem either.

Is this possible? With nearly no pain? WTF? Again today there is a very small pain when I raise my arm overhead at some angle, but just about nothing. Can this be dangerous?

I know you will recommend the obvious : go see a doctor. Of course, but beyond that, have any of you guys had something similar?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Here is the dictionary definition of that word, so that we all know what I'm talking about.

Acromion: The projection of the scapula (the shoulder blade) that forms the point of the shoulder.

The acromion is part of the scapula. It protrudes laterally (away from the midline) and is triangular in shape. The top of the shoulder is acromial. The word "acromion" comes from the Greek "akron", peak + "omos", shoulder = the peak of the shoulder.

2. Registered User
    Answers

there's no way you broke youre acromion without ripping your supraspinatus/corcohumoral/biceps tendon. unless its a stress fructure. upright rows are recipe for impingement which is probably what you did.
  3. Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vafla
    there's no way you broke youre acromion without ripping your supraspinatus/corcohumoral/biceps tendon.
    Would that be painful?

unless its a stress fructure.
    Would that be painful?

upright rows are recipe for impingement which is probably what you did.
    Would that be... painful?

Thanks
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Answers

yes, yes, and over time impingement will become impingement syndrom so yes
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Definitely drop the upright rows. Some guys swear by them but you're trying to roate the shoulder while looking it into a particular plan of motion. An MRI wouldn't be a bad idea to see what is really going on in the shoulder. Get as much real information as you can so you can make an informed decision on how to proceed. Or you can get a lot of advice based on very little information and take a chance. It's your shoulder but I know I've kind of grown used to having mine around.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. shoulder injury
    By thedeaner in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 03:55 PM
  2. help me please (shoulder injury)
    By wantmoresize in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 04:40 PM
  3. Shoulder injury
    By Jag in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 04:00 PM
  4. could this be another shoulder injury ?
    By WATERLOGGED in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 06:11 PM
  5. Shoulder Injury
    By RaulJimenez in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 10:16 PM