Overtraining is hurting your sex life

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Incredibly so. We can measure over training via heart rate variability (HRV). A decline in HRV is a marker of sympathetic over training. Well, the more over trained you are, the less likely you will be to mate. And the more over trained your partner is, the less likely she will be to orgasm. Bottom line - deload, and make sure you are deloading your woman.

J Sex Med. 2012 Jan;9(1):188-97. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2011.02541.x. Epub 2011 Nov 14.
[h=1]Greater resting heart rate variability is associated with orgasms through penile-vaginal intercourse, but not with orgasms from other sources.[/h]Costa RM, Brody S.
[h=3]Source[/h]School of Social Sciences, University of the West of Scotland, Paisley, UK.

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]INTRODUCTION:[/h]Resting heart rate variability (HRV), a marker of parasympathetic activity, is a predictor of health and longevity. Better erectile function is associated with greater resting HRV (assessed by high frequency power [HF]), and in both sexes, penile-vaginal intercourse (PVI) is the only sexual behavior consistently associated with indices of better physical and mental health, including greater resting HRV (assessed by standard deviation [SD] of heart rate [HR]).
[h=4]AIMS:[/h]To examine the hypotheses that greater frequency of orgasms attained through PVI (for women, without additional simultaneous clitoral stimulation; vaginal orgasm) are associated with greater resting HRV. A differential hypothesis is that HRV measures will be unrelated to orgasmic frequency from noncoital sexual activities.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]Coitally experienced men and women (N = 143) had their heart rate measured for 5 minutes and reported the frequency of various sexual behaviors and corresponding orgasms in a recent representative month.
[h=4]MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:[/h]Partial correlations and analyses of covariance controlling for social desirability responding were used to examine the associations of sexual activities with time and frequency domains of HRV.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]For men, greater resting SD of HR was associated with greater PVI orgasm frequency. For women, greater resting SD of HR was associated with any vaginal orgasm. These findings remained after controlling for cohabitation. Sexual activities were unrelated to HF. Lifetime number of PVI partners was unrelated to SD of HR and HF.
[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]Findings are discussed in the context of orgasms through PVI enhancing HRV, and greater parasympathetic tone favoring the capacity to engage in PVI, and in the case of women, to reach vaginal orgasm. The possibility of healthier people having greater resting HRV and more frequent orgasms through specifically PVI is also considered.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about deloading on your woman?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about deloading on your woman?
Its either hook her up to the polar and track HRV directly..or, test out her ability to achieve PVI in vivo (and vitro). I prefer the latter :)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed...

Alright weird question do any of you cramp up like a mother when you cum? My triceps and shoulders cramp up and it HURTS

- Valdez

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I won't hit it doggy style after a leg day. Hammys cramped up last time and I fell over lol

Zir Red, good read.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
This explains a lot. Thanks Zir for bringing this to light.

Valdez, I used to get the most horrific pains right in the back of my neck by the C1-C2 vertabrae. Could never figure it out but the most sensible theory was ischemia. Haven't had it in a couple years now.

-OS-Team AppNut

vassille

Awards
Subbed...

Alright weird question do any of you cramp up like a mother when you cum? My triceps and shoulders cramp up and it HURTS

- Valdez
Take potassium and magnesium supps and keep drinking water. You prob dehydrated

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take potassium and magnesium supps and keep drinking water. You prob dehydrated
I drink a gallon a day at least... I thought maybe potassium and mag were culprits as well

- Valdez

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
It could just be the angle :smileysex5:

how it's going tends to determine if &/or somethings gonna get a cramp for me -

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've found a lot about cerebral ischemia and vasospasm, but nothing regarding muscle spasm in the shoulder girdle. If you are interested, do a pubmed search with the terms "thunderclap headache orgasm"

Br

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've found a lot about cerebral ischemia and vasospasm, but nothing regarding muscle spasm in the shoulder girdle. If you are interested, do a pubmed search with the terms "thunderclap headache orgasm"

Br
Thanks Z much appreciated :)

- Valdez

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Br
Sounds like a great name for a band.

Could lowered libido/quality be the first sign that overreaching has occurred and a deload needs to be employed?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like a great name for a band.

Could lowered libido/quality be the first sign that overreaching has occurred and a deload needs to be employed?
I'm actually working on an article about that for my performance blog jasoncholewa.com

I hesitate to fully say yes, since so many other things (stress, anxiety, etc.) also effect libido.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm actually working on an article about that for my performance blog jasoncholewa.com

I hesitate to fully say yes, since so many other things (stress, anxiety, etc.) also effect libido.
Now my blog will look like I'm copying yours.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Great post/article. I know my libido takes a major hit when I am deep in prep and it's definitely due to being overtraining, overtired, and limiting saturated fats.

vassille

Awards
I drink a gallon a day at least... I thought maybe potassium and mag were culprits as well

- Valdez
I had some issues too, been taking mag and pottasium and so far all is much better. It's been a few years so it looks like it's working for me at least