Knee's

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Ok, my question is simple....and no sitting back, doing nothing...isent an option for me....if i wrapped my knee would that be ok, and do a LIGHT, and I mean light leg day, and perhaps a light jog once a week? I mean the wrap has to do something right??? I just dont want to look down and see my knee on the ground next to me...... :blink:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i wouldn't risk it personally. an injury can easily become worse. as far as i would take it would be going for walks.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I would lean towards Beelzebub's advice as well, for all the obvious reasons, but if you feel like you *have* to I would stick to cycling rather than even light jogging, as that seems most likely to me to provide the least impactful movement... gotta reiterate taking it easy though, knees/elbows can be tricky bastards.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
thanks !!!! i will have to see how i feel.....for some reason I love to run!!! and i actually miss it....But i also know i need my knee, thanks again!! But in the end would you wrap it for safety? extra support, I have never wrapped my knees even when i was powerlifting..always thought, what is that wrap going to do, if my knee is going to go, it wont stop it????

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The meniscus is not a support structure, so wrapping would have minimal benefit. The meniscus is a shock absorber. Therefore, running would probably be the worst thing you could do. The impact can easily cause additional damage. Low impact on the knees is what you're looking for. Elliptical trainer or bike would be your best bet right now.

dd

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
The meniscus is not a support structure, so wrapping would have minimal benefit. The meniscus is a shock absorber. Therefore, running would probably be the worst thing you could do. The impact can easily cause additional damage. Low impact on the knees is what you're looking for. Elliptical trainer or bike would be your best bet right now.

dd

A good Knee Wrap will provide less impact AND support if put on properly. It won't be TOTAL impact support, but it is support nonetheless. It will definitely keep it from sliding on you during impact which would cause more damage.

I would agree with staying off of it but I know that you won't. You're just as sick as the rest of us on here :icon_lol: So I would wrap it and stick to elliptical training and recumbent bicycle rather than running. You won't be able to wrap it too tight for cardio as the pump would be insane due to bloodflow restriction. If you do ANY leg work (and I'm against you doing any at all), I would have a "real" knee wrap and not an imitation one and I would wrap that bastard very tight for each set.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
what is the difference? real ? fake? I mean a wrap is a wrap right??? I never use them even when i was powerlifting.....................

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
what is the difference? real ? fake? I mean a wrap is a wrap right??? I never use them even when i was powerlifting.....................

There are many "fake" wraps that are nothing more than over-glorified ACE bandages. Get some good redlines or other reputable lifting wraps for training legs. Then maybe a neoprene brace or light wrap for doing the ELLIPTICAL or RECUMBANT BIKE....since that is what you will be doing instead of running....right? ;)

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice, although no one here will belive this, i was bartending tonight, and i had to squat down for a bottle, and i felt something snap, got a sick feeling in my stomach and well its been painful ever since....i didnt do anything, I mean i wasent running, i was walking/working......and today at the gym i did the cross trainer......if you need me i will be the large ass on the couch stuffing my face with bon bons..........:(

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I know how you feel wranglergirl. I hurt my knee playing football in high school and came very close to tearing everything in my knee. I wish I could go back and rehab the thing better and give it more time to heal. But, I was hell-bound to get back because powerlifting season was starting and I couldn't miss that (not with the chance to do a bit of damage that year...you know how that goes ;)). I couldn't imagine missing powerlifting season. So, I rushed through rehab and now I dread waking up on a cold day because the damn thing never healed right. But I think you know that better than I did at the time, so no worries there.

Don't feel bad though, even the best have to take it easy sometimes.

Would jogging in water be a more viable option, or would that still be too much pressure on the knee? I'm just curious and was wondering if this was a type of exercise that could be used to give wranglergirl a bit more variety if she felt the urge to work out a bit.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Jogging is the worst thing you can do. Wrap your knees and do heavy good mornings...

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
my sister suffered a torn meniscus the say way i did ..being broadsided in our cars..well the ambone doc she was seeing had her runnign to rehab it.suffice to say when i found out she didnt return there.im goign through this right now my squats are shot because of my torn meniscus..i never do cardio so thats not a factor for me.frankly im thinking nandrolone to help me out till i can get scoped..which is months away

water would be a def alternatibve as there isnt impact as there would be on coming down on a solid surface..aqua therapy

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Jogging is the worst thing you can do. Wrap your knees and do heavy good mornings...
that would only remptely make sense if she an ACL injury
who told you she had ACL injury, are you internet diagnosing her?

all the exercise reccomendations are just dumb right now, you'll be doing youre self a favor by ignoring them.

according to your symptoms there's something wrong with your PFL. but thats just a guess.

diamonddave

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
She has another post where she stated that an MRI was done and she has a meniscus tear and some unknown mass in her knee. I think several of the above posters were referring to that.

dd

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
thanks all for the input!!! really means alot, but i am going to do stupid things and I know this....LOL only a few more weeks till my drs apt...... again thanks for the input!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
She has another post where she stated that an MRI was done and she has a meniscus tear and some unknown mass in her knee. I think several of the above posters were referring to that.

dd
cool. gotcha

in that case A physiotherapist must be the answer, and quit fooling around...

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
cool. gotcha

in that case A physiotherapist must be the answer, and quit fooling around...
I wouldn't go to a physical therapist first... A lot of physio's are quacks. Go to a good orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knee injuries first, then if he suggests a physio, go to the one HE suggests.

otherwise you'll end up getting a physical therapist who will just **** you up.

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
better than recieving advice on the net

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
better than recieving advice on the net
Oh sure.

Or she could go to the type of physical therapist that puts people with bursitis on moderate volume shoulder stabilization exercises. Then she'd be fucked... paying money to be put in MORE pain, LOL.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 5