What Dictates Results More: Diet or Training?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
So this should get a good discussion going.

Some people claim it's 80% diet 20% training others say it's 50/50, & some say it's 100% training and they eat what ever the phuck they want, so which one is it?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends what your goal is. For strength, the routine is more important. For straight hypertrophy/aesthetics, it's about even.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends what your goal is. For strength, the routine is more important. For straight hypertrophy/aesthetics, it's about even.
Bingo. Especially for hypertrophy/aesthetics, it's just almost a relationship as such: nutrition * training = results, where if either is approaching 0 your results are approaching 0.

VinD

VinD

Awards
If either isn't up to par then you won't reach your potential. I'm sure you could slack on one more than the other, but who wants to do that! Just do both the best you can and you'll improve the most.

newbreed

Awards
Gotta give 100% in both to achieve results. In my opinion, diet is the toughest part of the battle for some whether it be because of the cost of foods, or some just don't know or understand what a diet really is. Some people don't know what diet works for them but like with training, experimentation is key.

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
I believe diet is most crucial on whatever goal were trying to accomplish if that is to build/strength or cut down. Giving our body that right nutrients and amount throughout the day is keeping out muscles fed, staying anabolic.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i've always liked this quote:
I know we live in an age where everybody is timing their nutrients, nobody wants to strain the CNS, and God forbid you're not doing your foam roller exercises on a daily basis. My reality is this: I have athletes who survive on Mac and cheese, ramen noodles, and Kool-aid. They don't have any money to buy any supplements including a multi-vitamin, and they only get a few hours of sleep each night.

These same kids get bigger, stronger, faster, and leaner every single time we test, year in and year out, like clockwork. Now, I'm not saying that nutrition and rest aren't important. I'm just saying that I think, in general, they might be a bit overblown.

from this link:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/a_dose_of_remedios

i do think these things on this topic:

1)a decent athlete can come from great nutrition and a bad workout.
2)a good athlete can come from bad nutrition as long as he has a great workout.
3)a great athlete can come from great nutrition as well as a great workout.
4)you cannot have a great athlete without great nutrition and a great workout.

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
In your case with athletes that may be so. Of course they will see results but if they give their body those certain proteins and carbs throughout the day then they are only doing themselves a favor and will have better results. If someone was wanting to get down to 4% body fat then diet is no overblown. Its very important. So i guess depends on what your training for and goals.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i rank my diet higher than training...

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
i've always liked this quote:
I know we live in an age where everybody is timing their nutrients, nobody wants to strain the CNS, and God forbid you're not doing your foam roller exercises on a daily basis. My reality is this: I have athletes who survive on Mac and cheese, ramen noodles, and Kool-aid. They don't have any money to buy any supplements including a multi-vitamin, and they only get a few hours of sleep each night.

These same kids get bigger, stronger, faster, and leaner every single time we test, year in and year out, like clockwork. Now, I'm not saying that nutrition and rest aren't important. I'm just saying that I think, in general, they might be a bit overblown.

from this link:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/a_dose_of_remedios

i do think these things on this topic:

1)a decent athlete can come from great nutrition and a bad workout.
2)a good athlete can come from bad nutrition as long as he has a great workout.
3)a great athlete can come from great nutrition as well as a great workout.
4)you cannot have a great athlete without great nutrition and a great workout.
Good stuff man.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This is a great question. I think it really comes down to who is training. I think for me mostly its 80 percent nutrition and 20 percent training. I say this because my body hasn't changed much since I dropped down my workouts from 6 days a week to 3 days a week. It hasn't changed much at all and I am excited about that. Now this could also be due to my age(27) so that could have something to do it with it but nothing has changed really at all. I think the biggest thing to monitor is your body fat percentage. This is key when it comes to looking your best. Make sure that its within acceptable ranges and you should be fine.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure I agree here. If you aren't getting enough calories in it won't matter what program you are using. Now for a pure strength program then the cleaner calories aren't as important as the quantity. Aesthetics are all about the diet.

dutchovenftw

Awards
well, think about it this way. 2 guys with equal genetics doing the same workout. Subject 1 eats junk food all day . subject 2 counts calories and handles his macros. Who's going to get the best result? i would even say that subject 2 who eats and diets clean and knowledgeably could even workout less with less intensity and still gain better results. Now this of course is for hypertrophy... those strongmen are on a different level.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
For me, diet seems to be most important. It is also the hardest part since diet is 24/7.

newbreed

Awards
You could look at it like this:

Training time:1 hour MAYBE 2 for some

Diet: Working in the meals spread out through the rest of the day except for when you sleep

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know this isn't one of the choices...but for me the most important thing is SLEEP! If I'm sleep deprived, my workouts suck and my food discipline goes out the window.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For me its training. When it comes to strength. My diet choices dont matter much as long as it is a lot of cals.

itzbubble

itzbubble

Awards
It's all diet for me too!! Which sucks cause that can make killer workouts discouraging

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Good feedback.

neddo

neddo

Awards
I stand on the side of 80/20 diet/training, as the above posted regarding T-Nation nailing it. Our motto at our Sports Nutrition department is "You can't outtrain poor nutrition."

With that said, they're both vastly important of course. Work like a slave, eat like a king, sleep like a baby, look like a god.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I hate to chime in and look like a fool but here it goes. In order to tell which is more important I think you have to remove one from the equation. If you remove a great diet and just train I believe that person would be better off than if you had a perfect diet and no training. With that being said I also believe the diet aspect is much harder to master.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diet.

1ifeblood

1ifeblood

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did that picture say something? I thought I saw some letters maybe...hold on let me look again... ... ......... ... Wait, what was I doing again?