Overall Leg Growth

scottylieb

scottylieb

Awards
Looking for tips/suggestions/exercises to build leg mass for an avid lifter other than squats, jump squats, deadlift, leg press, calf raises.
Thanks!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get stronger at squats, deads, good mornings, etc.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Heavy lunges, bulgarian split squats, hack squats, front squats, hill sprints (for calves, also supports quad growth), step-ups, squatting with different bars (safety squat bar, giant camber bar, etc).

scottylieb

scottylieb

Awards
Bulgarian splits bd front squats are definitely gonna be good additions. What else?? What Bout lower leg mass?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Good Mornings, RDL's etc. Need some hamstring work in there...

Famers walk on toes

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good Mornings, RDL's etc. Need some hamstring work in there...

Famers walk on toes
Oops, forgot the other side of the leg ...

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
squat and deadlift till you puke if you can comfortably walk out of the gym after a leg workout you're doing it wrong

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
squat and deadlift till you puke if you can comfortably walk out of the gym after a leg workout you're doing it wrong
So if I do singles with 95%+ of my max and walk out just fine I'm doing it wrong? And puking? Come on man

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
just giving u crap bro I happen to be a fan of intense high volume legworkouts that leave me sore for a days

PROness

Awards
Heavy lunges, bulgarian split squats, hack squats, front squats, hill sprints (for calves, also supports quad growth), step-ups, squatting with different bars (safety squat bar, giant camber bar, etc).
This pretty much ends this thread.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
just giving u crap bro I happen to be a fan of intense high volume leg workouts that leave me sore for a days
Same. I alternate my leg workouts as strength vs volume. I also split hamstrings and quads to separate workouts and train each 2x week. I do this when building mass.

Something like this:
Monday - Heavy quads (squats, leg press, lunges...)
Tuesday - Volume hamstrings (supersets, higher rep ranges)

Thursday - Heavy heamstring (deadlifts, good mornings, heavy lying curls...)
Friday - Volume quads (6 motions, 2 sets of 50, must finish in 40min)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This pretty much ends this thread.
Except for the fact it completely ignores the hamstring muscle group; which Torobestia alluded to later on. Very good for quads though.

PROness

Awards
Any form of squats destroys your hamstrings as they are involved in the "hole" as they call it and are the one of the only muscles being engaged at the bottom of the squat. You're literature is lying to you...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any form of squats destroys your hamstrings as they are involved in the "hole" as they call it and are the one of the only muscles being engaged at the bottom of the squat. You're literature is lying to you...
Squats alone are not nearly enough stimulation for the hamstrings.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
well id be happy to read your study involving hamstring utilisation during a squat. EMG's would be useful to back up your point...

PROness

Awards
Okay... Okay... Let me be more specific.

Olympic high bar squats.

The best hamstring workout other than pulling bar none. Once your below parallel the only thing between your ass and the floor is god and your hamstrings contracting.

Sadly maybe 1 in 10 people at my gym squat... And 1 in 10 of those people high bar squat. It's a damn shame because this exercise will put hair on your chest.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Hamstrings function in both hip extension and knee flexion. So no, squatting would not be sufficient stimulation at all, even if at full ROM.

A great, often-overlooked exercise that hits both actions of the hamstrings is weighted glute-ham raises.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hamstrings function in both hip extension and knee flexion. So no, squatting would not be sufficient stimulation at all, even if at full ROM.

A great, often-overlooked exercise that hits both actions of the hamstrings is weighted glute-ham raises.
Sadly, many gyms do not have the equipment necessary for them.

I enjoy pull throughs personally.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I have two variations at my gym and I look at them thinking "I wonder." Will add them during bulk.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay... Okay... Let me be more specific.

Olympic high bar squats.

The best hamstring workout other than pulling bar none. Once your below parallel the only thing between your ass and the floor is god and your hamstrings contracting.

Sadly maybe 1 in 10 people at my gym squat... And 1 in 10 of those people high bar squat. It's a damn shame because this exercise will put hair on your chest.
Uh, no...still far from necessary stimulation for the hamstrings. The good morning is the single best posterior chain exercise out there especially if you have access to a cambered or safety-squat bar.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Uh, no...still far from necessary stimulation for the hamstrings. The good morning is the single best posterior chain exercise out there especially if you have access to a cambered or safety-squat bar.
Just got back into lifting about 4 months ago, and just relized I completly forgot about goodmornings !!! Legs are tomorrow to, you got me excited !!!

I naturaly have very large legs, mine were bigger than my dads at the age of ten. My only advice is squat every week, and heavy to, you shouldnt enjoy yourself while doing squats. If your not gasping for air and dizzy after each set your just waisting time.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ive experienced more growth on high constant tension reps in the last few weeks than ever before.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get stronger at squats, deads, good mornings, etc.
As someone with awesome wheels ;-) I agree with this ^^^^

Before my torn hamstring (from baseball) when my legs looked better than now my leg routine was (when off DC) squats, stiff deads, good mornings and front squats (heels on thin plywood). There were a number of days I wouldn't even mess with extensions or curls. I would throw in glute ham raise occasionally.