How do I check BF% when I dont have access to callipers?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.33%

How do I check BF% when I dont have access to callipers?

Its all in the title...I want to check my BF and we dont have anyone selling callipers here in India. So is there any good or close calculator which can help me check my BF%?

Thanks

Raj

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

You can guesstimate, but that's just what that is...a guess. There are some scales that measure body fat, but I think they are garbage. Bottom line, you need to get some calipers. There are online stores that sell them cheap. Or, find someone who may sell and ship them to you. Check our sponsors, they may be willing to ship.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.78%

okay try this.

step 1-multiply nude bodyweight by1.082
    step2-add 94.72
    3-multiply waist girth at umbilicus by 4.15
    4-subtract total #3 from total#2 to get fat free weight
    5-subtracttotal#4 from bodyweight
    6multiply #5 by 100
    7-dividetotal#6 by bodyweight to get bf%.

wont be as accurate as calipers which by the way can be 5-8% off.this is a reasonable way to make a scientific guess.as a measuring tool it is relative over time.hope this helped.this formula only works for men though.females are much more complicated.
    •   

4. Pop-Lock champion of 84'
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.85%

Quote Originally Posted by bronx220
    okay try this.

step2-add 94.72
    6multiply #5 by 100

wont be as accurate as calipers which by the way can be 5-8% off.this is a reasonable way to make a scientific guess.as a measuring tool it is relative over time.hope this helped.this formula only works for men though.females are much more complicated.
    Nice!! - 13%, Formula came out same as the calipers (if you have someone that knows how to measure correctly)
  5. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.07%

close..mine came out to 13 and i was 16 2 months ago...good info tho thanks bronx.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.78%

glad it helped.
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.36%

There should be a site that has pictures of people at varying bodyfats, then those who just want to quickly be able to estimate their lard factor can scan and see roughly how far they have to go.
  8. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.37%

Quote Originally Posted by bronx220
    okay try this.

step2-add 94.72
    6multiply #5 by 100

That's a very interesting formula. I keep track of my weight and bf % using calipers. I also measure my waist to keep track of things. I used the formula to verify my bf that I recorded after the end of my last bulking cycle, my last cutting cycle, and my current stats. Each time it shows my LBM being almost identical weight, which makes sense. What bothers me the most is the formula says I'm about 8% fatter than my caliper says. At the end of my last cutting cycle, my upper abs were showing, at the belly button they weren't, and the calipers said I was at 9-10% bf. Using the formula I would of been at 17%. Any ideas out there on bf % when the abs are showing or partially showing?
  9. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.37%

Quote Originally Posted by Strateg0s
    There should be a site that has pictures of people at varying bodyfats, then those who just want to quickly be able to estimate their lard factor can scan and see roughly how far they have to go.
    Strat, Where is that site?
  10. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.36%

In "should-be land"
  11. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.37%

After using bronx220's formula and much worrying about my body fat %, I found this calculator that also incorporates height, neck size, and age. It gives me a more favorable reading so of course I like it. It's about halfway between my caliper reading (11-12%) and bronx220's formula (21%). Plus it does all the math work... http://www.linear-software.com/online.html It uses the formula developed by the Naval Health Research Center.
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Formula's like this don't work and are not accurate. Some people have different bone structures and more muscle which it can't account for. For example I went ahead and did it and it said I was 24%bf, I can still see all six abs. LOL and am pretty lean.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.33%

bronx220, should the weight be taken in lbs. or kg.?
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.78%

Quote Originally Posted by Raj
    bronx220, should the weight be taken in lbs. or kg.?
    its your bodyweight in lbs. but as i stated before this is only a way to measure it is not perfect .only an autopsy has near perfect reading and even that is off by 2% hydrostatic weighing is close but not practical.if you use the formula every month and its going down do you really care what your bf really is.as long as i can see veins in my abs i am happy.the last time i competed i have no idea what my actual% was but i was ripped.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.78%

Quote Originally Posted by former_SlimJim
    That's a very interesting formula. I keep track of my weight and bf % using calipers. I also measure my waist to keep track of things. I used the formula to verify my bf that I recorded after the end of my last bulking cycle, my last cutting cycle, and my current stats. Each time it shows my LBM being almost identical weight, which makes sense. What bothers me the most is the formula says I'm about 8% fatter than my caliper says. At the end of my last cutting cycle, my upper abs were showing, at the belly button they weren't, and the calipers said I was at 9-10% bf. Using the formula I would of been at 17%. Any ideas out there on bf % when the abs are showing or partially showing?
    if you can see just your upper abs i would guess about 15%.if you can see your lower abs {by the bb}more like10%. but you may deposit more or less fat in the region than i do so it is just a guess
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.92%

Any ideas out there on bf % when the abs are showing or partially showing?

--------------------

Man ... abs vs BF % ; that always drove me nuts.

I have never lost view of the upper two rows of abs ; when I was 12% or now as a fat bastard at 15% ... I still see them clearly. WTF ??

Maybe I just have well developed abs from working up to heavy weights in ab movements because I can still see them even though I can grab an embarrassing amount of fat in front of them ( my caliper reads 20 with a vertical fold at side of the navel ). What also disgusts me is the lower back fat I can never seem to get rid of , even when I was at 12 % BF.

I wonder if I get down to 10% , if that will disappear ... or will the next step have to be lipo ??? ...
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Try this link: http://www.mybodycomp.com/

In fact, a few of you who KNOW for sure your BF%, please try. I'm curious as to how accurate it is. It told me what I'd estimated...and it's free (you have to register though)
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Formula's like this don't work and are not accurate. Some people have different bone structures and more muscle which it can't account for. For example I went ahead and did it and it said I was 24%bf, I can still see all six abs. LOL and am pretty lean.
    You should check out that link I posted. You have to measure everything!! Including wrists, ankles, knees, etc, to give it an idea of bone structure, etc.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.8%

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    Try this link: http://www.mybodycomp.com/

In fact, a few of you who KNOW for sure your BF%, please try. I'm curious as to how accurate it is. It told me what I'd estimated...and it's free (you have to register though)
    I have a electrical impedence at home. As soon as I wake up in the morning I pee and then weigh. It says that I am at 28% pretty regularly (It is supposed to read a little high in the morning due to dehydration, but is fairly consistent). I also bought the $40 calipers from one of our sponsors. I take each reading repeatedly until I get several identical measurements. It says that I am at 24%. bronx220's formula says that I am at 28% and www.mybodycomp.com says that I am 17%!

Although not you can't see them great, you can see my first row of abs and part of my second row. (A lot of it depends on the lighting).

All I know is that I am not yet where I want to be.

Similar Forum Threads

1. When you dont have a written diet plan
    By EasyEJL in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 03:42 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 01:24 AM
  3. How do I check this MDROL batch?
    By Whiplash in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 04:14 AM
  4. How do my T/SHBG/E2/GH/IGF labs compare to 'ideal' levels? [update]