Lower back pain

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
Lower back pain
Yesterday during my second set of RPT deadlifts (I had already warmed up and done the heaviest set) I felt a slight dull pain in my left lower back so I stopped. It went away for a little while but now it's back. Still a slight dull pain nothing excruciating. It only hurts when I bend over without a strait back like when I arch my back on purpose to stretch. Any ideas on how to help fix it? I don't have anything involving lower body programmed until Saturday when I do lowbar back squat so I will give it rest until then

LITERaCOLA

Awards
Heat it then stretch it, then ice it. Then repeat.

Easiest way to stretch it is to lay down and bring knees to your chest. There's quite a few just look it up.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
Subbed for more advice... Back pain/problems sucks!

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
ya back problems suck big time, i compression fractured my spine back in april and my job involves a ton of lifting and my back is sore as **** everyday haha and doesnt help when you have back day at the gym either lol, but good luck man i wonder if you pinched a nerve or something

boogyman

Awards
Foam roll the entire thigh and hip area and then do mobility drills.
This

I recently started foam rolling, and boy what a difference. Its like your body is slowly being "fixed". I do 3 sessions a week at night, followed by quick mobility work and a hot bath.

LITERaCOLA

Awards
I was in a car accident over 3 years ago and left me with a fractured c5 and bulging c3&4. 1 year of physical therapy 3x a week. I thank god it wasnt my lower back because it seems to be much more unconfortable however the neck seems to be a close 2nd.

once your lower back is feeling better try strengthening it more with a light back extension, planks, and LIGHT straight leg dead lift. and try stretching more. flexibility helps prevent injuries.

also consider strengthening your core too. un-proportional muscle strength can also cause injury. thats why some men that have a "bloop" if you will, not saying you do, have back pain because their core is not strong and their back is compensating for stability

soul0wner

soul0wner

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to check into one of these. Seem pretty cheap. As I suffer from lower back pain as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do not be cheap with your foam roller. The one's at Academy/Dick's are very soft and do not hold shape/stiffness well. I spent ~$55 for my Rumble Roller nearly two years ago and it's maintained it's shape and firmness.

Mafesto31

Awards
You can get decent deals from elitefts on foam rollers from time to time.

soul0wner

soul0wner

Awards
  • Established
Do not be cheap with your foam roller. The one's at Academy/Dick's are very soft and do not hold shape/stiffness well. I spent ~$55 for my Rumble Roller nearly two years ago and it's maintained it's shape and firmness.
Good to know! Thanks bud!

newbreed

Awards

The one I got isn't soft at all. It was originally close to 50 I believe before the sale price.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about using a piece of PVC instead of a foam roller? I found some in my friend's yard and had (what I hope you all confirm) a brilliant idea to use it to roll out muscles. Any objections?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The one I got isn't soft at all. It was originally close to 50 I believe before the sale price.
They won't last long. Most of the overly commercial foam rollers have maybe 6 months in them and, when you first start out, they all feel stiff.

What about using a piece of PVC instead of a foam roller? I found some in my friend's yard and had (what I hope you all confirm) a brilliant idea to use it to roll out muscles. Any objections?
I don't recommend starting out with one, but it's the cheapest and hardest option out there. I have a 4" one that I use on my hips and IT band along with a baseball.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Elite FTS is having a sale right now

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Foam roll and stretch. Sounds like a pull. Most of my lower back pain comes from tightness in my hamstrings and glutes. If I don't stretch or warm up enough and my hams/glutes are still tight, I cant get proper flexibility to get my lower back where I need it. Try to spend some extra time doing mobility drills and some dynamic warm ups. Hope you have a speedy recovery.