So the three day a week hst I have is this:
Squats
Stiff deads
Incline press
Dips
Pull ups
Bb rows
Machine shrugs
Seated shoulder press (smith machine I think it's called, the one where the bb I on a track)
Db Lat raises
Db rear lat raises
Db curls
Tricep extensions
Calf raises
Crunches

I have a fee questions:

1) what the best way to do shrugs. I feel the machine is ok since it's easy to switch between weights. Is this acceptable? The bet feeling I get is from carrying around 45s doing shrugs but that's tough to change weights for the 5, 10, and 15 rep ranges.

2) I feel I could do something more compound for triceps extensions such as skulls, am I wrong?

3) dips. I do them narrow instead of wide since I have shoulder problems when I do them wide. Is this ok?

4) am I doing too many workouts per day here? I saw some people keep it to 8 or so max, others do the 14 I do. I used to work out 4 or 5 days a week for a few years but since then it's been maybe once a month so my body is in a anabolic state and should gain quickly. I dont want to go over 10% bw since I feel that's more weight I'll have to lose, more time spent cutting, then more time that I lose not "cutting" and building more muscle.

That's it for now, I'm a newbie to the forums but thanks!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I dont think shoulder presses should ever be done in a smith machine; the bar is forced to follow a set path which is usually unnatural from your normal pressing patterns.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
I dont think shoulder presses should ever be done in a smith machine; the bar is forced to follow a set path which is usually unnatural from your normal pressing patterns.
Agree 100%. The bar path for an o/h press obviously starts at the clavicle but at the top, the bar should be roughly even with the ears.