Will you gain much size of Strength Training/Powerlifting ?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
My deadlift has gone from 185lbs to 285lbs in meager 4-5 months...You tell me :D! And I'm 140~ lol

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I mean size brah, if you would gain much lbm from strength training/powerlifting
lol thighs have grown 1.5" and arms went from 14 to 15" and I don't do curls...Lats grew and my obliques and core feel stronger, tighter and denser. Don't know if that helps much for you to decide if it works or not.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anecdotally, if you look at competitive powerlifters, especially those competing in natural and/or raw events you will see some very impressive physiques, both with regards to muscle size/development and conditioning at the sub 220-242 lbs weight classes.

Is training solely for strength the most efficient way to gain muscle? No, it comes down to specificity. But then, neither is your typical 5 day a week chest, back, arms, BS split.

A [well programmed] mix of strength and hypertrophy training is likely the most efficient way to gain muscle mass. I had really good results when the bodybuilding team I coached was using a modified form of eastern block periodization.

Br

Nicolas

Nicolas

Awards
Squat/Dead/Bench consistently have added more mass in the past 2 years than the previous 5 where I spun my wheels. My philosophy is once the strength comes...the mass isn't far to follow. Just my 2 cents.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Anecdotally, if you look at competitive powerlifters, especially those competing in natural and/or raw events you will see some very impressive physiques, both with regards to muscle size/development and conditioning at the sub 220-242 lbs weight classes.

Is training solely for strength the most efficient way to gain muscle? No, it comes down to specificity. But then, neither is your typical 5 day a week chest, back, arms, BS split.

A [well programmed] mix of strength and hypertrophy training is likely the most efficient way to gain muscle mass. I had really good results when the bodybuilding team I coached was using a modified form of eastern block periodization.

Br
I agree with this post...this is the guy that trains me, he just won nationals here in Kileen Texas...

[video=youtube;9RID6caMC1Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RID6caMC1Q[/video]

He helps me out with form and partial movements to help the full ROM variations...he aint small at all haha and he has trained strength for his 5 years of experience.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

Br
I agree. Those 5 days splits are not the most effective for average lifters. Especially ones that are not lifting hard or eating to fuel their gains.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are so many misconceptions about PL'ing out there, but the primary one is the asinine belief that you can't add significant mass to your frame following many of their principles. There is still hypertrophy work in many of the templates out their in addition to the max effort work.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are so many misconceptions about PL'ing out there, but the primary one is the asinine belief that you can't add significant mass to your frame following many of their principles. There is still hypertrophy work in many of the templates out their in addition to the max effort work.
This.

If you want the mass gains, you can definitely program it in along with your other strength work. There are certain lifters who through the years have fallen into a certain weight class and want to stay there. These will generally employ less hypertrophy work in order to stay within the right weight class.

However, if you want to grow muscle, you'll add in volume/TUT sessions and eat more, and the muscle will come.

AlexErdellan

AlexErdellan

Awards
  • Established
I've gained more quality , lean mass from heavy compound movements than the classic 5 day split.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing Madcows 5x5 for the last 8 weeks and I've definitely noticed some improvements in my physique. In the past I've done mainly bodybuilding style workouts with higher rep ranges (10-15) with good results, but I feel like my chest is responding especially well to this training. Also, I've been keeping track of my weight and I'm up about 4 lbs since I started the program - so strength training can definitely make you grow!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
5/3/1 with high rep assistance work (periodization bible assistance) = solid gains in strength and size

Or follow one of the powerbuilding routines like DC, for strength and size

newbreed

Awards
5/3/1 with high rep assistance work (periodization bible assistance) = solid gains in strength and size

Or follow one of the powerbuilding routines like DC, for strength and size
DC worked great for me. If anyone hasn't tried it, consider it

compudog

compudog

Awards
I believe you will, but I think it depends at least in part on your genetics. It seems like some people can get stronger without getting much bigger, but other people have to add lots of muscle to get stronger. Personally I'm one of the second type, my bench for instance is around 270, I was at about 150 4 years ago, during that time my "chest" grew from 38" to 44". I put "chest" in quotes because that measurement also includes lats and back. I think someone said that gaining 5 lb of muscle equals a 15% strength increase, sounds about right to me, & I suppose that if you can increase your strength by 15% you're going to add 5 lb of muscle.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
as a general rule of thumb

1-6 reps strength
6-12 hypertrophy
over 12 endurance

as you can see most bodybuilders train in the 6-12 rep range. I think its beneficial to train in all of these categories and while I mostly train in the 6-12 rep range, Ill go down to the 3-6 rep range at times because it does help strength. I never go below 3, used to, not anymore.

If you train in the six -twelve rep range change it up for a month or even every other workout for a while, as long as your joints can handle it, to 3-6 reps and I guarantee you'll be stronger when you go back to the 6-12 rep range

soul0wner

soul0wner

Awards
  • Established

1-6 reps strength
6-12 hypertrophy
over 12 endurance

as you can see most bodybuilders train in the 6-12 rep range. I think its beneficial to train in all of these categories and while I mostly train in the 6-12 rep range, Ill go down to the 3-6 rep range at times because it does help strength. I never go below 3, used to, not anymore.

If you train in the six -twelve rep range change it up for a month or even every other workout for a while, as long as your joints can handle it, to 3-6 reps and I guarantee you'll be stronger when you go back to the 6-12 rep range
Excellent advice bro

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards

1-6 reps strength
6-12 hypertrophy
over 12 endurance

i used to be a huge believer in following rep ranges for very specific training. last year i decided to train for powerlifting and now i train over a broader range of reps then at any other time. i go between 3-20 each and every workout. with a few workouts that will go from 1 to 50. what does that mean?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
If we're talking strong IFBB Pros (or just strong dudes in general) look at Johnnie Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st8FEFHlInk

Saw him on stage and his back and trap development is just ridiculous - very likely it has something to do with his powerlifting history.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive gained more muscle powerlifting then I ever did bbing. In my persuit to a bigger total ive added 35lbs to my frame in 2 years.