Squats vs. Hack Squats

gunzblazin1x

Awards
I have always heard that squats were essential to building overall mass. Would hack squats give the same benifits if you were not able to do regular squats?

Next question... If you are doing deadlifts with a trap bar, does this turn the movement into more of a squat?

Any opinions??

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I do hack squats instead b/c my knee sucks--I don't care what anyone says regular squats can hurt your knees. I'm the most anal person I know about form, too. Anyway, I've had good gains with hack squats. Just use a full ROM (Butt to the floor!!) and I don't notice much difference. In fact, I'm less worried about using full ROM when I'm hitting those last hard reps, so I may even be getting more out of it, personally.

I'd guess deads with the trap bar would be more of a squat....but I don't use it, so I can't say. I'd stick to the good 'ol deads with the barbell to the front. Otherwise, it seems like you'd only have a 4" ROM in your lower back when you do 'em with a trap bar.

Last edited:

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
as far as deads go as a back exercise i would think they would be better done with a normal straight bar

this is just my opinion

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
Deads really are a leg workout for the most part though.

Regular squats incorporate the use of more muscles than hack squats. Your back and core muscles are used a lot more in regular squats than in hack squats. But as kwyckemynd00 said, if you use proper ROM you can still see good gains. Personally I only use hack squats when I want to keep my feet in a narrow stance b/c its more stable than using a narrow stance w/ regular squats.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I think hack squats are great. When I want to take a break from squats, Ill do Hack Squats followed by Leg Presses and my legs always get a great workout. Try Foxsets with both of these exercises and remember to bring a bucket:)

BV

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
dear lord, let me know what machine you guys are using, because when i get on the hack squat machine, my kneecaps start making a squeeky hinge sound.

kwicke; if your knees hurt when you free bar squat then your not sitting back with the weight, you pushing with your toes instead of with your heels.(possible reason)quads are really only secondary stabilizing the weight, until you stand. main being the glutes and hams in your legs and then of course your back being the upper part of your structure.

i can A2G 500 on str8 bar squats (competition form, any stance) and 6 plates (total)on hack squats, send me into the pain cave begging for "my" knees back...

500 is what some 161lbers bench so I know i am not cool :whip: just for comparison

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I do hack squats instead b/c my knee sucks--I don't care what anyone says regular squats can hurt your knees. I'm the most anal person I know about form, too. Anyway, I've had good gains with hack squats. Just use a full ROM (Butt to the floor!!) and I don't notice much difference. In fact, I'm less worried about using full ROM when I'm hitting those last hard reps, so I may even be getting more out of it, personally.

I'd guess deads with the trap bar would be more of a squat....but I don't use it, so I can't say. I'd stick to the good 'ol deads with the barbell to the front. Otherwise, it seems like you'd only have a 4" ROM in your lower back when you do 'em with a trap bar.
If you do your squats like a bodybuilder, hell yeah they'll hurt your knees. Sit back more, ass out, and you should be fine unless you're hitting large weights, in which case wrap your knees first.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Doing squats west side style has really helped my knees. A lot of people lean too far foward and push off with the front of the foot, and that's the cause of knee issues. You have to push from the heels...

BV

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I may be putting too much of the weight on my toes. I'll just have to experiment until I get it right--time to drop some plates. I'm still not too optimistic about my "knee" (it's just one that hurts), because even at night time as I reposition myself in my sleep, I'll wake up in pain if I use my left leg in the wrong way...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Bro its probably a tendon issue from the constant stress of pushing with the front of your foot. Try this:

1.) Drop weight and get proper squat form down.
2.)Curl the your toes upward as you push up if you have to, to help divert the pushing force to your heals.
3.)Warm up for a good 10-15 minutes with some good, deep stretching.
4.)ICE your knee down for 15 minutes every day before bed, and after you work your legs.
5.)Supplement with flax/fish oil and Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM/CetylPure.

BV

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
great, BV, I'll give it a try ;)

Thx to all :D

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
kwicke i still sya you get some horse linement and juice your knees down b4 you start warming up,
NIGHT AND DAY..

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
kwicke i still sya you get some horse linement and juice your knees down b4 you start warming up,
NIGHT AND DAY..
I'll give this a try, too :D

But, what is "horse linement"??? :think:

skoal

Awards
When you do your squats, don't try to squat down but do it like you're sitting back into a chair. You'll probably have to carry the bar lower on your back like a powerlifter and it will distribute more of the load across several muscle groups, but have you ever seen a powerlifter with a good squat have small thighs?

Also, get a good pair of knee wraps, they'll help keep everything tight.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Heh. Powerlifters have black booty! Bubblicious!

Actually though, my legs are just pretty freaky in general - they look like horse legs... They're way too big for the rest of me too. Like, I'm stacked but my legs are just off the hook. It looks really funny...

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
I always had good luck on squats doing box squats.... there was a metal crate or a stack of those stepping platforms that I would sit on that were just past parallel...

i'd have to use a lighter weight than normal; but it helped my knees and back... i'd just sit on the box then try to stand... it forced me to stand with the pushing off of my heels instead of the front of my foot

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Heh. Powerlifters have black booty! Bubblicious!
Yeah, ever since I started focusing on Squats and Deadlifts my ass has become huge! The ladies love it, though:)

phil216

Awards
  • Established
Squats rule for building size. I recently got my squat up to 600 for 8 (deep reps) and I have never been bigger then I'm right now. Hacks can not compare

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
Squats rule for building size. I recently got my squat up to 600 for 8 (deep reps) and I have never been bigger then I'm right now. Hacks can not compare
dude your beyond a freak,
you need to post some pics you manimal..

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Dude that is some sick weight!!

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I do not have a digital camera or I would post some pics. I have always had a good squat but I started working with a friend of mine that is really into power lifting and he has really been pushing me on the squat and the results have been great. I got 600 for 8 last Wednesday and it felt pretty good. I hope to be able to get 700 for a few over the summer but I will have to see how the training goes.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
How are your bench and pull man? What are you weighing in at?

If you are in the 242's or below you should learn to use a suit and shirt and get into powerlifting man. You'd do really well, regardless of what you bench and pull.

phil216

Awards
  • Established
I'm 5'9 and about 240 or so, I have never really given any real thought to power lifting but I do like to train pretty heavy. I Dealdlift 425 for 10 (I need to work on my deadlift form a bit) and I have not done flat bench in years, i do incline 365 for 6 on a good day. I really just enjoy the results I have been getting, since I started training with my friend who is into powerlifting I have gained so much size it is sick. Right not my only power oriented goals are to squat 700 for a few by the summer and deadlift 550 for 6 at 230 or so. I do not use a suit or a shirt.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I'm 5'9 and about 240 or so, I have never really given any real thought to power lifting but I do like to train pretty heavy. I Dealdlift 425 for 10 (I need to work on my deadlift form a bit) and I have not done flat bench in years, i do incline 365 for 6 on a good day. I really just enjoy the results I have been getting, since I started training with my friend who is into powerlifting I have gained so much size it is sick. Right not my only power oriented goals are to squat 700 for a few by the summer and deadlift 550 for 6 at 230 or so. I do not use a suit or a shirt.
Those are all very respectable for your weight man. Learn to use a shirt, suit, groove briefs, wraps, etc. Your bench will probably suck because the technique for bench is tricky and you haven't done anything like it in a while, plus shirts take a lot of practice... but you should be able to hit low 5's in a double denim with around a year of work, probably less. Your dead does need work man, do singles with the dead, like once a month, and work with light weight for singles every 30 secs or so to practice pulling BACK instead of down. The squat suit is gonna **** your squat up badly at first, it tries to pull you forward and you need to learn to really force your knees out hard, but when you really learn to use it it'll probably add 70-90+lbs to your squat easily, and take some stress off the spine.

If you learn to use the gear and really dial in the technique, you could hit an elite total for your weight class within 2 years at most - you should totally get into it.

lactic

Awards
Also add L-glutamine to that and you'll be golden....good luck

EC1023

Awards
You should post a video. That's sick. What's your 1RM back squat?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
great, BV, I'll give it a try ;)

Thx to all :D
Build your hamstrings as they stabilize the knee joint, warm them up prior to squating. Ie. Banded goodmornings or ghrs
Get a good pair of knee sleeves, tommy kono or rehbands to keep them warm while training. Prefered of wraps unless you wanna compete with wraps.
Do a mobility warm-up before leg sessions like joe defrancos agile 8
Start box squating, easier on the knees and you recover faster. Watch westside videos on youtube to truely learn the box squat and read on elitefts.
Strengthin your hips also so you can sit back and spread the floor better.
Horse linement is like icy hot, but made for race horses that you know, make ppl money. So you can say its much much better then anything offered otc for humans haha.
Balance your leg work 50 percent hamstrings, 50 percent quads to create balance.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sub

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad I read this thread. Due to my neck (see my avatar) I can't do regular squats anymore and can only go VERY light on deads. I am going to experiment with hack squats and see what happens.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
LOL....just noticed the original thread date. Still a good thread.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Because l-glutamine increases your squat by like 1500%

Br
DAMN! I am glad you told me this. If I had taken that, I could have paralyzed myself.