Help please- low back/hip flexor issues

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright guys- I'm really hurting and have tried everything and seen multiple doctors but still having problems and now it's worsening.

I am 24 tomorrow. Played high school and college football until I was 22. Since I was 21 I've had what started As hip flexor bulging, swelling and tightness and has progressed to piriformis pain and swelling with lower back swelling/bulging of muscle muscles, knee clicking, and swelling that radiates up and down my right side from shoulder blades to ankles.

I am very flexible and stretch regularly, foam roll, ice, heat, naproxen, etc. Nothing seems to alleviate the pain EXCEPT for inactivity. That is not an option. I run hiit 2-3 days a week and lift 4-5. I also wait tables for work and am still in school so I'm either walking or sitting for long periods of time on a given day.

I believed the injury first began from heavy leg presses and back squatting. I stopped those upon ending football and no change. Walking incline seems to irritate it, as well as any hip dominant exercises including ab work where hip flexors r engaged.

I have been to chiropractors, orthopedics, and osteopaths. No one has been able to assist or relieve the pain. I stopped dead lifting and pain got better for a while, then the pain retuned and I felt my Low back was noticeably weaker and in more pain. So, I resumed deads and low back felt stronger but then pain and swelling then returned to the hip flexor region. It seems I cannot do anything without some sort of negative effect.

I am now walking with a slight limp. One shoulder also is hangin slightly lower than the other. One leg is also slightly loneger than the other (determined by a dr.)

Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Reverse hypers for your lower back is all I can add. Im sure others know more then I.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Reverse hypers for your lower back is all I can add. Im sure others know more then I.
Yea when I dropped deads I added extra hypers and reverse hypers . Pain is so bad right now.. Made apt with a new ortho in ten days

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, if you don't want to bite the bullet and take some time off to recover then you'll just be spinning your wheels, or worse, going down a slippery slope. Start swimming for HIIT to reduce the hip flexor activation. Start foam rolling your rectus femoris and periformis with more vigor. Strengthen your glutes and INTERNAL hip rotators.

Next, have you looked into manual psoas release. DeFranco show's how to do this. Its painful, but may help if it is your IP complex. I know a good massage therapist out of Hartford who may be able to help you with the psoas release. She worked wonders on mine (and left bruises in doing so). PM if you are interested, and I will see if she has openings, and if so, will pass on her info.

Br

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, if you don't want to bite the bullet and take some time off to recover then you'll just be spinning your wheels, or worse, going down a slippery slope. Start swimming for HIIT to reduce the hip flexor activation. Start foam rolling your rectus femoris and periformis with more vigor. Strengthen your glutes and INTERNAL hip rotators.

Next, have you looked into manual psoas release. DeFranco show's how to do this. Its painful, but may help if it is your IP complex. I know a good massage therapist out of Hartford who may be able to help you with the psoas release. She worked wonders on mine (and left bruises in doing so). PM if you are interested, and I will see if she has openings, and if so, will pass on her info.

Br
I take a week off every 5th or 8th week if training now.. What is psoas? I do not hAve access To a pool unfortunately :/

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Psoas is one of your deep hip flexors. So is the illiacus. Together, they make up the iliopsoas complex.

Br

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Psoas is one of your deep hip flexors. So is the illiacus. Together, they make up the iliopsoas complex.

Br
I see. I'll go harder on the foam rolling. I've been more consistent with ice and heat this weekend to no avail.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Zir are you refering to using a plate on the psoas while laying down to dig deep into the hips? If so, thats rough as ive done it in the past.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Zir are you refering to using a plate on the psoas while laying down to dig deep into the hips? If so, thats rough as ive done it in the past.
You can use a plate if that all you have. I use a back buddy i got off amazon.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can do it with your hands (or with the help of someone elses) or with a plate or stick. I find it easier to get at it with my hands if I am in the pool.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You can do it with your hands (or with the help of someone elses) or with a plate or stick. I find it easier to get at it with my hands if I am in the pool.
Ill have to try that, otherwise I use a plate.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will vouch for the importance of lengthening the psoas for a tight lower back. I've also find that lighter, high-rep DB side bends help to stretch and strengthen the quadratus lumborum 2-3x/week in addition to using unilateral thigh work to stretch and strengthen the glute med/min, which also help to keep the hips loose and, ergo, the lumbar.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I will vouch for the importance of lengthening the psoas for a tight lower back. I've also find that lighter, high-rep DB side bends help to stretch and strengthen the quadratus lumborum 2-3x/week in addition to using unilateral thigh work to stretch and strengthen the glute med/min, which also help to keep the hips loose and, ergo, the lumbar.
Now I have a reason to do unilateral thigh work again lol

loganchristop

Awards
You should also look at your hamstring flexibility. It's in check ?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good info. Posting so I can find it again.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good info in this thread. One exercise I have found to somewhat help in addition to a few that have been mention is to stand with one leg on an elevated surface and relax, and allow the pelvis/back/hip to relax and slump down. Gently pull your pelvis back up to level and repeat. Stretching the hamstrings even if yours are flexible helps a lot with lower back tension. A hip flexor stretch and static hold of the hip flexors mid range can re leave pain as well.