Problems after training

1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Problems after training

For the past couple of months I have been suffering severe soreness and shoulder joint pain after training.I took another week off just to give the joints a rest and when I began training again I went with lighter weight and only few sets per bodypart.The trauma I felt afterwards was unbearable.I can't move a day after I train everything feels sore,at night when I sleep moving my arms under the pillow my shoulders kill.I only train now 3 times per week,Monday Chest/shoulders/triceps 3 sets of 10 Tuesday off-Wednesday Legs and calfs-Thursday off-Friday Back/biceps/trapps.all 3 sets of 10...All I can think of it may be a accumulation of the pounding the last year of training..Im almost 46 now could it be something else like arthritis.Have any of you ever had anything like this or any suggestions.PS also diet and lifestyle is perfect as in no alcohol or unk food and I take plenty of supps..Thanks

2. ***** Vampire
    Answers

you taking in enough EFA's and water?
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by goldylight
    you taking in enough EFA's and water?

Plenty of fish oil and olive oil..Water 10-12 8oz glasses a day..
    •   

4. Gold Member
    Answers

Take a look at this info I posted awhile back. Its got some good info on some latest joint care products.

Ways to Avoid
  5. Board Supporter
    Answers

I hate to say it madman, but I think it might be an age thing. I'm just a little younger than you (42) and I'm having the same ****. It's not quite as severe as you are describing (yet). I can move my shoulders a day after training, but they just hurt like hell. It's been very painful at night and the pain actually wakes me from a deep sleep a few times a night. I, like you, use all the supps. I've tried different joint supps too. I switched to a nasty tasting liquid joint support supp thinking it might be get more into my system (versus pills) and that didn't help at all either. OTC pain meds really don't help much either. I can only come to the conclusion that I'm an old fart lifting like I am 21 again. If you get some further insight, please post it here. It could help me, and possible others, as well. Take care and good luck.

dd
  6. Registered User
    Answers

you might want to give Hyaluronic Acid a try.
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave
    I hate to say it madman, but I think it might be an age thing. I'm just a little younger than you (42) and I'm having the same ****. It's not quite as severe as you are describing (yet). I can move my shoulders a day after training, but they just hurt like hell. It's been very painful at night and the pain actually wakes me from a deep sleep a few times a night. I, like you, use all the supps. I've tried different joint supps too. I switched to a nasty tasting liquid joint support supp thinking it might be get more into my system (versus pills) and that didn't help at all either. OTC pain meds really don't help much either. I can only come to the conclusion that I'm an old fart lifting like I am 21 again. If you get some further insight, please post it here. It could help me, and possible others, as well. Take care and good luck.

dd

I hate to admit this but I think your right.Nuromercer good link,I have tried MSM before and it seemed to help a little,but Diamond dave I too wake fro ma sound sleep wih shoulder pain.The best way to explain it is trauma, then after a day or so when the pian goes away I feel the muscle soreness.This is so frustrating Im from the school of refusing to give into the fact im getting old.The only thing I may hav to do is completly change my training to extreme light weights or take amonth off and see what happens...This Sux but thanks for all the help guys...
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla
    you might want to give Hyaluronic Acid a try.

I have used this before and felt pretty good.It may be time to revisit this one,plus it made my skin look good..Thanks
  9. Registered User
    Answers

hey madman, not sure in RI where your at , but i know there is always talk of Lymes Diasease.... ( spelled wrong I know, its late and I am tired) I would suggest a trip to the Dr to get some blood work done, just to be safe.......
  10. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Answers

is it all joints or just shoulder joint pain? i have trouble with my shoulder occaissionally and i do rotator cuff exercises to help keep the pain down
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I think I am in a severly overtrained state,I have had other symptoms fatigue,Increased basal metabolic rate,Chronic fatigue,Muscle soreness and damage,Joint aches and pains.Then is Psychological stuff Depression and apathy
    Decreased self-esteem
    Decreased ability to concentrate
    Decreased self-efficacy
    Sensitive to stress

I do think this is probably the major issue right now and maybe a month off is what I have to do,once again Thanks to all...PS: Wrangle good advice on the lymes disease sounds like all the symptoms....
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wranglergirl
    hey madman, not sure in RI where your at , but i know there is always talk of Lymes Diasease.... ( spelled wrong I know, its late and I am tired) I would suggest a trip to the Dr to get some blood work done, just to be safe.......

And knowing MadMan's tendency to chase after deer in the middle of the night..it could be a real possibility.

I highly recommend getting some deep tissue/rolfing work done. It's pretty painful but it really seems to set things straight for me. My shoulders are a constant source of irritation for me whether I lift super heavy or not..they're always tight, painful to stretch and the aching makes sleep difficult.

Deep tissue massages have almost cured them.
  13. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

[QUOTE=bioman]And knowing MadMan's tendency to chase after deer in the middle of the night..it could be a real possibility.

HaHa...ya Bio, the two leged kind...WooooHoooo!!!!
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Trying to help a fellow Rhody out , but in all seriousness, a blood work up would be a good thing, no matter!!!! Just trying out my future as a nurse.....!!!
  15. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    I do think this is probably the major issue right now and maybe a month off is what I have to do,once again Thanks to all...PS: Wrangle good advice on the lymes disease sounds like all the symptoms....
    You may also want to get tested for West Nile (although skeeter season may have been long over with in NH). Symptoms are also similar to Lymes Disease. This past July, I was mowing the yard, and got chewed up by mosquitos. Two days later I had a sore neck. Over the next 2 weeks I developed sore shoulders and elbows. My strength went down 30-40%. Numerous thoughts went thru my head.....maybe I was too old, or maybe just over training. Finally I went to the doctor and guess what....I had West Nile. It took 2 months to get over and get my strength back. So I wouldn't blame it on age....could be something else. Don't EVER start thinking you're too old! I'm 50 and cranking more weight now than I ever have.
  16. Registered User
    Answers

I just turned 51 2 weeks ago, and my left shoulder has been hurting for two months. I tried doing no pressing movements for a month and still hurt. Then I just did legs for a month and still hurt, but less. Then did nothing for a few weeks, thought I was getting better, and went to full body workouts. OUCH!

I found that in my case the exercises that irritate it the most are full rom presses, and strangely, standing barbell curls. If I do partial ROM bench press, such that my upper arm goes no lower that paralell to the floor, I am ok. For bis I just do concentration curls where the elbow rests on the thigh taking the weight off the shoulder.

This all started when I was doing PCT off a long cycle, and was using lots of transdermal 6-oxo and 7-keto-dhea and oral nolvadex. I think that is when it happened due to low cortisol and estrogen, while I was keeping my weights heavy post cycle.

I really think the only thing that will help is a long period of rest and healing, but like you I get more depressed and irritated, due to the lack of workouts, and the missing psychological support one gets from a regular routine.

Like the stones once said: "What a drag it is getting old..."

Greenguy
  17. PC1
    Answers

Hey MaDmaN,

What you describe sounds like what I have....... arthritis in the a/c joint. You can try all the supps you want to and I wish you luck, but if that's what it is, the only way to get rid of it is surgery.

I had this surgery about 15 years ago in my right a/c joint, it's really not bad at all....... had the team osteopath of the Redskins at that time do it. The procedure itself is brief, you'll be home that night. Pain for a day or 2 but not too bad. Within 2-3 weeks you can resume training lightly. Within 2 months post op you'll be right back to where you were insofar as pushing weight around, but you'll be pain free! The procedure involves cleaning out that joint, and then trimming back both bones.

My surgery was needed because of an injury at the time, caused from heavy bench pressing. However, my LEFT a/c joint needs it now. Disappointing because this past Summer I was at the point of being able to do seated military presses 225 x 7, a personal best. The pain was becoming unbearable however and I had to give it up altogether.

I've been procrastinating getting it taken care of because in the past 3 years I've had several other minor surgeries, and just haven't wanted to go back for another. But I know it's something I have to do.

Bottom line for you: Go see a good sports orthopedic surgeon, he'll have you x-rayed, and tell you what's up.

Best of luck bro!

Go Pats!
  18. Registered User
    Answers

MaDMaN: Take a week off from upper body training (maybe a bit longer, depends on how you feel), then lay off any direct shoulder training. Also, bench like a powerlifter, elbows turned down back arched slightly shoulder blades tucked.

Also, might look into ART/ultrasound/deep tissue massage for the shoulder, and see a physical therapist a few times and have them work with you.

Odds are you have developed tendonitis in both shoulders. Don't try to work through it, you're going to **** yourself.
  19. Board Supporter
    Answers

I had a shoulder problem about six years ago and it sounds alot like what you are describing. I kept trying different ways of working the joint without having a flareup, but all it did was get worse. I would get to where I couldn't even lift my arm afterwards - not even slightly. I thought I might have arthritis or something so I went to a sports doctor. What it turned out to be was a muscle imbalance. My rotator cuff muscles were not strong enough to hold the joint together and they were being overpowered by the other muscles. As they would fatigue, the joint would open up and then the muscles would get pinched in the joint causing inflamation. Since I kept them constantly inflamed, they would get pinched even easier as time went on. We're talking extreme pain. He gave me cortizone shots into the shoulder joint and I did rehab, which basically was about five or six rotator cuff exercises using a bungee. I did them daily and they were very high rep but not strenuous. Also, used hot / cold therapy. Upper body work was out of the question for quite some time.
  20. Gold Member
    Answers

MaDMaN,

Go See a good Orthopedic Dr.

I have been screwing around with shoulder pain in my left shoulder for the last 10 months. Trying to
    take care of it my self I would lay off shoulder excersises for a while and then resume. The pain would come back. my shoulders would click when I did the flat BB bench so I changed to Incline DB's. Still It would get better for a while and then come back. I tried NSAID's like asprin and Ibuprofen, until I found out that they give me a rash after a week of use.

So I finaly said "screw it" and went to a Orthopedic surgon today. He took some x-rays, said nothing looks wrong with the bones. He gave me a Cortizone shot and said I can start lifting again ( have to go light for a while though.) He said that should fix things but if it didnt then we can go the next step of an MRI and go from there.

Long and the short of it is if I had gone to the Doc sooner I would not have wasted so much time, not lifting, trying to get better on my own.

Oh and a last comment, It does sound like you are possibly overtraining. JMO.

Hope you get better.

SR
    Last edited by Stingray; 11-24-2004 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
  21. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

Yeah bro, go see a doc. My brother and I developed rotator cuff problems and his doc did ART on him and now they're fine. The shoulder is such a complex joint a number of things could be wrong, and only a doc will be able to pinpoint it.

Screw that getting old crap!! Get those shoulders fixed and keep on kickin' ass!

BV
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Im almost 46 now could it be something else like arthritis.Have any of you ever had anything like this or any suggestions.PS also diet and lifestyle is perfect as in no alcohol or unk food and I take plenty of supps..Thanks
    Last yr I had shoulder pain so bad I could hardly bench. I dropped the weight back to 225 lbs and did higher reps. Finally after a few months the pain went away. I'm 51 and thought it was maybe age related. But it was probably overtraining and doing to many heavy weights. Anyway I'm back to 315 and higher on reps with no pain.

Last week took the Texas State record in the old fart 3 class in 259 lb

http://wabdl.org/texas_bench_press.h...0Bench%20Press
    Scroll down and look for Rick Duncan.

Yes the old fart is back.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Erectile Problems after PCT
    By solarize in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 03:55 AM
  2. Antioxidants before after training
    By MarkPerry in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM
  3. Problems after Havoc....
    By ltyson in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM
  4. igf-1 injection 1hr after training too long???
    By s.norman in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 11:30 PM
  5. Cardio after training?
    By BigChuckles in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 02:24 PM