scolliosis and deadlifts

murk01

murk01

Awards
I have it, pretty good curve but walk good and don't use a brace. I been skipping the daedlifts and squats for a few yes because of it.
But recently started deadlifting again and really enjoying it.

What's ur take, anyone else have scolliosis. Do u think I should stop.
I feel go no issues as of now

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have it, pretty good curve but walk good and don't use a brace. I been skipping the daedlifts and squats for a few yes because of it.
But recently started deadlifting again and really enjoying it.

What's ur take, anyone else have scolliosis. Do u think I should stop.
I feel go no issues as of now
Not sure anybody here is qualified to answer that.

If I were you I would find a sports doctor or a chiropractor who regularly treats athletes and ask them.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Not sure anybody here is qualified to answer that.

If I were you I would find a sports doctor or a chiropractor who regularly treats athletes and ask them.
Closest here would be PMing Rodja about this or Zir RED too.

murk01

murk01

Awards
There has got to be other ppl dealing with same shot

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i know a guy that has broken his back several times mainly from motorcycle accidents. he has a bend that is nearly 45 degrees to one side. he deadlifts over 500lbs and strict presses around 275. his doctors told him after his last accident he may never walk again. he was very careful and spent a lot of time slowly building up his trunk and hip strength before hammering heavy on those lifts.

murk01

murk01

Awards
i know a guy that has broken his back several times mainly from motorcycle accidents. he has a bend that is nearly 45 degrees to one side. he deadlifts over 500lbs and strict presses around 275. his doctors told him after his last accident he may never walk again. he was very careful and spent a lot of time slowly building up hit trunk and hip strength before hammering heavy on those lifts.
That's really freakin inspirational !
:)

napalm

napalm

Awards
that's great that you're pain free, but i'd still get a checkup by a rehab or ortho doc. if nothing else other than to get a baseline from when you started deadlifting..

if you have insurance than it's a no brainer...

good luck...

boogyman

Awards
that's great that you're pain free, but i'd still get a checkup by a rehab or ortho doc. if nothing else other than to get a baseline from when you started deadlifting..

if you have insurance than it's a no brainer...

good luck...
This. I was going to recomend not only checking with the doc, but regular followups. Make sure he knows what you are doing in the gym so he can monitor it.

Griffin11

Awards
There has got to be other ppl dealing with same shot
I have a left-leaning C-curve in my lumbar along with a twist along the vertical axis, throwing my hips and shoulders out of alignment. I had been plagued with back problems for my entire adult life and it wasn't until three years ago that I really took ownership of my problems. I lost about 50 lbs of fat through cardio and proper nutrition. I also worked on my back health through tai chi, yoga and general conditioning. Then about 18 months ago, I was finally ready to start something more than body-weight exercises. My doctor referred me to an excellent chiropractor who had a strong relationship with a personal trainer and this team really helped change my life and take me to the next level. They worked together to design programs that focused on functional training with compound movements. After building up my core and really targeting my hip areas, I was finally able to tackle full barbell deadlifts and squats. I'm really happy with my progress and have even managed to put on about 15 lbs of good quality muscle over the past couple years, never mind the strength, confidence, etc, that comes with all of that.

So a few words...my personal trainer is NOT someone who earned his credentials over the internet and is all "no pain, no gain" or "it's all you, bro!" He has a degree in kinesiology and, as I said, worked closely with my chiropractor at putting together programs specifically for me and my anatomy. One also realizes how important proper form is. There's small room for error when it comes to back health in the context of scoliosis, and it's very tempting to squeeze out that one extra rep or throw on those few extra pounds. But thanks to the training I received, it's been very easy for me to identify when things "start slipping" and to ease off.

Good luck with your big moves and get some good coaching. Oh, and nothing feels better after those spine-crunching moves than a good decompression, whether it's just hanging from a bar or using an inversion machine. An easy one I love is hanging my torso vertically for a minute from a roman chair. Love it!