45 Degree let press classified as the Worst Machine @ the gym?

B

Bvalenzuela1

Awards
Hey Guys - I wanted to see if anyone has come across this article and what are your thoughts? Has anyone experienced injuries issues with the 45 degree leg press?
askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/993_worst-gym-machines

I usually do this excercise and I do experience lower back pain when pushing a lot of plates, but it usually subsided.. But now wondering if I am setting myself up for long term back issues?

Any feedback highly appreciated.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i dont like any of the pressing machines

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
just having dr staurt mcgill in there as stating it is no good is good enough for me to never use one again.

B

boogyman

Awards
I believe it. I could do them real heavy when I was younger, but in my "later" years if I try to do them with any kind of "real" weight they kill my lower back. I stick with the squat.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
the link was dead for me, however, when i watch guys try lift too much on the leg press i always notice that their ass comes off the seat and they bend in their lower back. If this happens to you, you're going to heavy and is an injury waiting to happen. I think this is logical.

I never lift as much as most on their but i make sure my ass never comes off the seat. It makes it a lot harder.

C

ChainLink

Awards
the link was dead for me, however, when i watch guys try lift too much on the leg press i always notice that their ass comes off the seat and they bend in their lower back. If this happens to you, you're going to heavy and is an injury waiting to happen. I think this is logical.

I never lift as much as most on their but i make sure my ass never comes off the seat. It makes it a lot harder.
^this. I use half the weight I see a lot of guys using. By letting the weight/sled drop low enough and rounding the back, more leverage is attained and easier to initiate the press. Puts the lower lumbar and sacrum in a compromising position for sure. I do them, but with a lot of caution.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
i've always steered clear of the 45 LP, doing SQT's to be is safer and you ahve to learn to do them the right way

B

boogyman

Awards
How low do you guys go? I would like to add them for a little bit as I am pretty sure my quads are becoming the weak part of my squat.

C

ChainLink

Awards
How low do you guys go? I would like to add them for a little bit as I am pretty sure my quads are becoming the weak part of my squat.
I keep my stance rather narrow and foot placement no higher than the middle of the foot plate and this keeps the tension on the quads. I go a little deeper then 90 degree bend at the knee. Anymore and my ass begins to lift.

Try switching to front squats and/or incorporate BB Lunges.

B

boogyman

Awards
I keep my stance rather narrow and foot placement no higher than the middle of the foot plate and this keeps the tension on the quads. I go a little deeper then 90 degree bend at the knee. Anymore and my ass begins to lift.

Try switching to front squats and/or incorporate BB Lunges.

I'll probably switch to front squats when I stall. I am still progressing, but I can tell when I approach failure that my quads are the weak link. I have a giant butt for my size and my explosion out of the hole is still really good.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds asinine. The link doesn't work, but saying the leg press is bad because people let their lower backs come off the seat and round to attain more leverage is like saying the barbell squat is bad because people round their backs or they let their knees drift over their feet; or that the shoulder press is bad because you lean back too far and strain/herniate discs in your lower back; that the bench press is bad because it will tear a pec or your shoulders to pieces; etc.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im not saying its bad. im saying that breaking form can result in injury, on any lift.
Of all the comments in the thread, yours is one of the ones I agree with.