45 Degree let press classified as the Worst Machine @ the gym?

  1. New Member
    Bvalenzuela1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    1
    Lv. Percent
    73%

    45 Degree let press classified as the Worst Machine @ the gym?


    Hey Guys - I wanted to see if anyone has come across this article and what are your thoughts? Has anyone experienced injuries issues with the 45 degree leg press?
    askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/993_worst-gym-machines

    I usually do this excercise and I do experience lower back pain when pushing a lot of plates, but it usually subsided.. But now wondering if I am setting myself up for long term back issues?

    Any feedback highly appreciated.

  2. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,787
    Rep Power
    2876139
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    11.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    i dont like any of the pressing machines
  3. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    106510
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    32.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    just having dr staurt mcgill in there as stating it is no good is good enough for me to never use one again.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35039
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    68.76%

    I believe it. I could do them real heavy when I was younger, but in my "later" years if I try to do them with any kind of "real" weight they kill my lower back. I stick with the squat.
  5. Senior Member
    Docmattic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    54652
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    59.01%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    the link was dead for me, however, when i watch guys try lift too much on the leg press i always notice that their ass comes off the seat and they bend in their lower back. If this happens to you, you're going to heavy and is an injury waiting to happen. I think this is logical.

    I never lift as much as most on their but i make sure my ass never comes off the seat. It makes it a lot harder.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
  6. New Member
    ChainLink's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    1336
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    2.59%

    Quote Originally Posted by Docmattic
    the link was dead for me, however, when i watch guys try lift too much on the leg press i always notice that their ass comes off the seat and they bend in their lower back. If this happens to you, you're going to heavy and is an injury waiting to happen. I think this is logical.

    I never lift as much as most on their but i make sure my ass never comes off the seat. It makes it a lot harder.
    ^this. I use half the weight I see a lot of guys using. By letting the weight/sled drop low enough and rounding the back, more leverage is attained and easier to initiate the press. Puts the lower lumbar and sacrum in a compromising position for sure. I do them, but with a lot of caution.
  7. New Member
    dds's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    271
    Rep Power
    2350
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    64.47%

    i've always steered clear of the 45 LP, doing SQT's to be is safer and you ahve to learn to do them the right way
  8. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35039
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    68.76%

    How low do you guys go? I would like to add them for a little bit as I am pretty sure my quads are becoming the weak part of my squat.
  9. New Member
    ChainLink's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    1336
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    2.59%

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman
    How low do you guys go? I would like to add them for a little bit as I am pretty sure my quads are becoming the weak part of my squat.
    I keep my stance rather narrow and foot placement no higher than the middle of the foot plate and this keeps the tension on the quads. I go a little deeper then 90 degree bend at the knee. Anymore and my ass begins to lift.

    Try switching to front squats and/or incorporate BB Lunges.
  10. Senior Member
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Rep Power
    103040
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    38.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    You say it's happening when your going heavy...do not roll you butt up to try and go deeper. That puts alot of stress on the lower back. Back of the weight and use
    your legs. Changing feet position can help, make sure the seat is at the correct angle too. Practice and lower weight and get a feel for how it feels going as deep as you can. Then up the weight and try to maintain that form. If your form starts to break and go back to previous weight.
  11. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35039
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    68.76%

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainLink View Post
    I keep my stance rather narrow and foot placement no higher than the middle of the foot plate and this keeps the tension on the quads. I go a little deeper then 90 degree bend at the knee. Anymore and my ass begins to lift.

    Try switching to front squats and/or incorporate BB Lunges.

    I'll probably switch to front squats when I stall. I am still progressing, but I can tell when I approach failure that my quads are the weak link. I have a giant butt for my size and my explosion out of the hole is still really good.
  12. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Sounds asinine. The link doesn't work, but saying the leg press is bad because people let their lower backs come off the seat and round to attain more leverage is like saying the barbell squat is bad because people round their backs or they let their knees drift over their feet; or that the shoulder press is bad because you lean back too far and strain/herniate discs in your lower back; that the bench press is bad because it will tear a pec or your shoulders to pieces; etc.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  13. Senior Member
    gregg1494's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Rep Power
    103040
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    38.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Sounds asinine. The link doesn't work, but saying the leg press is bad because people let their lower backs come off the seat and round to attain more leverage is like saying the barbell squat is bad because people round their backs or they let their knees drift over their feet; or that the shoulder press is bad because you lean back too far and strain/herniate discs in your lower back; that the bench press is bad because it will tear a pec or your shoulders to pieces; etc.
    im not saying its bad. im saying that breaking form can result in injury, on any lift.
  14. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141053
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    0.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by gregg1494 View Post
    im not saying its bad. im saying that breaking form can result in injury, on any lift.
    Of all the comments in the thread, yours is one of the ones I agree with.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  15. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350693
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.39%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Of all the comments in the thread, yours is one of the ones I agree with.
    x2. Any movement can be done wrong; it just means you need be conscious of your form and control the weight.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  16. New Member
    dubfungus's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    1508
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    58.11%

    My legs are amazing.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Is Galantamine Classified as a Drug or Supplement in the US?
    By strategicmove in forum Custom Capsule
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 12:30 PM
  2. The worst of the "rip on eachother thread" Poll
    By thesinner in forum General Chat
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 12:50 AM
  3. CEX is the worst tasting crap ever !
    By Iron Warrior in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 02:56 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 03:18 AM
  5. Am I using too much weight on 45 degree leg presses?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in