5/3/1 3day split + leangains IF help

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
I'm currently using Madcow 5x5 training routine while doing Leangains IF on the recomp protocol for strength gains and a lower bf physique. I weigh about 212 and have a 16%bf and wanna drop it to 12% or less. My main goal however is gaining strength, and I have heard that one of the best routines for strength gains is 5/3/1 (the reason I want to switch is because of time constraints while on Madcow it takes too long to do) I would be using the boring but big template and using a 3 day split instead of 4 because of responsibilities and also because on leangains it is suggested. What I'm asking for is any advice or experience any of u may have had doing this. And results u have achieved.

Currently my lifts are:
Press:180
Bench:295
Squat:335
Deadlift:475
and I would like to reach 200/300/400/500

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Even though your squat number is a little low, your bench and press numbers are not "novice" and neither is your deadlift. I don't think you'll get anything from the "Boring But Big" template ... maybe some size, but it wont be optimal. Personally I like the Periodization Bible template the best especially at your stage where bringing/maintaining muscular balance and doing accessory work for the primary movers for each lift are more important for gaining strength than just doing "more of the same."

Bcuzimbatman

Awards
Ok I will look into that. What's ur advice on the diet working with the routine however?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ok I will look into that. What's ur advice on the diet working with the routine however?
Like anything, if you don't eat to gain you probably wont gain much muscle, although if the deficit isn't huge you could still gain strength. Of course eating over on workout days could help, and you didn't specify whether you're going +30/+10, 20/20, or +10/-30. If you have questions about IF I would direct them to the guys over at the IF thread in the nutrition subforum. They're very helpful and might be able to provide some tips on fine tuning your LG diet.