Utilizing moderate weight for huge gains...(I'm new here so I demand your respect)

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.5%

Talking Utilizing moderate weight for huge gains...(I'm new here so I demand your respect)

Hello everyone, I learned about this site from love-scent.com...(pheromones are the shiit! )

My first inquiry was as stated: What are some good routines/techniques to lift a moderate weight so that the gains overshadow the actual poundage used?

For example, at this time I currently only weighttrain at home. I am aware that it's limiting, but I've become a bit crafty in getting things done; however, I don't happen to have a lot of room nor actual weight, and there is no way I can max bench whatsoever because of that. My little setup only allows me to put up about 60% of my maximum benchpress, so I'm stuck doing multiple sets of numerous reps. Is there a particular routine or exercise I can do to overcome this and still make large gains regardless? And this applies to more than just my chest, but all muscle groups...

Suggestions would be appreciated...

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  XXX lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.06%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Firstly, welcome to AM. I agree pheromones are the ****
    If you are stuck with high reps, I'd look into GVT, there should be a sticky with some info in the exercise/training section. Maybe even HST. Both are known for great size gains when combined with a proper diet.

ManBeast
    -Saving random peoples' nuts, one pair at at time... PCT info:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/192992-pct-what-why.html
    -Are you really ready for a cycle? Read this link and be honest:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/191120-checklist-before-thinking.html
    *I am not a medical expert, my opinions are not professional, and I strongly suggest doing research of your own.*
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Gains are mostly about proper nutrition IMO.
    I personally have seen better development from switching between high volume routines with high intensity-lower volume routines.

By the way, GVT=German Volume Training & HST=Hypertrophy Specific Training

Welcome to AM!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.15%

for the gvt, this is the routine that I used
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Go with German Volume Training, lots of stuff written about it here. HST is a great system but it's necessary at points within an HST cycle to lift heavy, so you'd end up with abbreviated less effective cycles overall if you use that approach. GVT fits what you have on hand best.
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.07%

AM is the best! If you are new to lifting, you will gain on about anything you do for the first 6 months to a year - as long as you are eating properly. The GVT is probably your best bet, but even at that sooner or later you'll be running out of weights. Use the search box to find posts on GVT. Don't overlook squating either. Squating is the most important lift if you want to be massive. It even helps on your upper body gains. Lots of guys don't squat when they first start lifting and later on regret it.
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.51%

Quote Originally Posted by former_SlimJim
    Don't overlook squating either. Squating is the most important lift if you want to be massive. It even helps on your upper body gains.
    Squatting is an important lift, but it doesn't help upper body gains anymore than any other exercise that focusses on the lower body but engages upper body muscles as stabilizers. A person with an imbalance in their workout will have that reflected in their physique.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.82%

I've done GVT and liked it, also search around the net for more of Charles Poliquin's routines, he has some good high volume stuff. I am a big HST fan, but as CDB said, there will be some heavy lifting at some point there too.
  9. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.07%

Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    Squatting is an important lift, but it doesn't help upper body gains anymore than any other exercise that focusses on the lower body but engages upper body muscles as stabilizers. A person with an imbalance in their workout will have that reflected in their physique.
    Yes that's partly what I was refering to. Only doing leg curls and leg exts at home doesn't put on much mass in the legs and they don't do anything for the midsection stablizers. Plus squats and deadlifts do have an anabolic effect - They stimulate GH release because they are so taxing on the whole body. My personal favorite is deads but I don't think thats a good recommendation for a new lifter. If I remember right CDB, you are a big dead fan also.
  10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.6%

Plus squats and deadlifts do have an anabolic effect - They stimulate GH release because they are so taxing on the whole body. My personal favorite is deads but I don't think thats a good recommendation for a new lifter.

The stimulated GH release from intense lower body movements is greatly overrated. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it produces no muscle growth in the upper body.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.5%

Thumbs up ...

Thanks for the responses everybody. Yeah, when I was looking around the forum I found some posts about GVT and found it interesting and I see y'all would agree it's worth a shot. Time to get serious...!
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.51%

They stimulate GH release because they are so taxing on the whole body. My personal favorite is deads but I don't think thats a good recommendation for a new lifter. If I remember right CDB, you are a big dead fan also.
    I certainly love my deadlifts, but I'm trying to work squats back into my routine despite my knees, or perhaps to spite them. Now as for the GH, and the test and all other hormones, their release as spurred by hard lifting doesn't really do much at all for muscle growth. The spike is too short and too low to make much of a difference on balance. Damaging the muscles and having them repair themselves is what matters. Super high levels of the right hormones, steroid cycles, make a difference, but not the boost you get from working out. I'm with Bryan Haycock on this, all else being natural, the cellullar level changes seem to matter the most. System wide hormone levels have an effect if they're significant enough, but nothing you do 'naturally' will get them to those levels.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 02:46 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 06:28 AM
  4. tryin to gain weight for a swimmer
    By jeff allen in forum Bulking
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
  5. T1-PRO vs. One for Lean Gains..