too much protein bad?

willc86

Awards
Well, i just got into a huge argument with my aunt and mom, both in the medical fields, saying that by the time I am 30 and 31 I am going to be all messed up with liver/kidney problems.

I roughly consume about 300g (I weigh 210 lbs) of protein a day and work out about 4 to 5 times a week intense.

What are your opinions about this?

I mean, Ive read articles where it is mentioned your muscles will not grow if its less then 100g for body builders and 200 is just about fine and 300 or more is enough to stress out your body and give you problems. Any knowledge or experience on this? It is like everyone wants me to cut back on protein but, how else are you supposed to grow?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't need nearly that much protein. Calories will make you grow, not specifically protein. I doubt you will get one answer in this thread as this is a highly debated subject. You'll just get tons and tons of pages of people arguing back and fourth, posting studies for and against, speculation and opinion.

willc86

Awards
You don't need nearly that much protein. Calories will make you grow, not specifically protein. I doubt you will get one answer in this thread as this is a highly debated subject. You'll just get tons and tons of pages of people arguing back and fourth, posting studies for and against, speculation and opinion.

from what I have researched, I think I agree with you. Like 1.5g to 2g a lb has been ok and it is the calories what make you grow. I mean I wish there was a sure answer lol.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
from what I have researched, I think I agree with you. Like 1.5g to 2g a lb has been ok and it is the calories what make you grow. I mean I wish there was a sure answer lol.
I think 1.5 to 2 grams a pound is a little too much. Maybe 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. Still though I doubt anyone will come up with a definitive answer. Well maybe definitive in their own mind, but that's about it.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
people can grow muscle with as little as .5gr/lbs of bodyweight as long as enough calories are being taken in and there is enough stimulus to grow.

so will more protein help, maybe. if those extra protein calories push you over the caloric need to allow for growth then yes it will. if you are eating enough fat and carbs to get plenty of carbs then it is not needed.

make sense?

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Well, i just got into a huge argument with my aunt and mom, both in the medical fields, saying that by the time I am 30 and 31 I am going to be all messed up with liver/kidney problems.

I roughly consume about 300g (I weigh 210 lbs) of protein a day and work out about 4 to 5 times a week intense.

What are your opinions about this?

I mean, Ive read articles where it is mentioned your muscles will not grow if its less then 100g for body builders and 200 is just about fine and 300 or more is enough to stress out your body and give you problems. Any knowledge or experience on this? It is like everyone wants me to cut back on protein but, how else are you supposed to grow?
How old are you? What type of training? How much of your protein is from food and how much is supplemental?

"it's too much" is a lousy answer without knowing any other info. If he wants to gain mass and has no medical conditions then why is 1200 calories a day of mostly food (assumed example) protein a problem? On a 3600 calorie diet it's only 33%. Would be considered low by some.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
agreed with tbone, people stress to much over tryn to consume high amounts of protein. i use the 1g/lean mass method and it works fine. during bulk mode i found that i can get low amounts of pro with high amounts of carbs and still build muscle as long as my body is in a surplus

willc86

Awards
agreed with tbone, people stress to much over tryn to consume high amounts of protein. i use the 1g/lean mass method and it works fine. during bulk mode i found that i can get low amounts of pro with high amounts of carbs and still build muscle as long as my body is in a surplus

awesome.

So it would be ok if I dropped down on protein and maybe get a bit more carbs and fats in (like peanut butter) just to be on the safe side for my kidneys and liver.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the sentiment of super high amounts of protein isn't necessary. I'm a college student so my budget is obviously restricted so I have more of a high fat diet with normally 0.7g/lb of protein and I have no problems gaining.

How old are you? What type of training? How much of your protein is from food and how much is supplemental?

"it's too much" is a lousy answer without knowing any other info. If he wants to gain mass and has no medical conditions then why is 1200 calories a day of mostly food (assumed example) protein a problem? On a 3600 calorie diet it's only 33%. Would be considered low by some.
It doesn't matter what % of macros the protein is. That doesn't affect the amount that gets filtered through your kidneys. 300g is 300g.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the sentiment of super high amounts of protein isn't necessary. I'm a college student so my budget is obviously restricted so I have more of a high fat diet with normally 0.7g/lb of protein and I have no problems gaining.

It doesn't matter what % of macros the protein is. That doesn't affect the amount that gets filtered through your kidneys. 300g is 300g.
Oh okay sorry. So to answer the op question, 300g=bad.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i guess the sarcasm wasnt obvious in my post, ive already agreed with you in the earlier posts

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
I don't mean to be a wise ass, if it sounded that way. I'm just trying to make a point.
I'm not going to bang my head against this forever but the op has people telling him that 300g of protein is unhealthy, will harm kidneys, etc. For a normal, healthy person who works out "intense" as he states, that just is plain nonsense. Does he "need" it, probably not. Will it cause any harm? No. Now he can continue taking their medical field advice and replace his fish and chicken with "healthy" whole grains and wheat.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Idk is this is real or not. I hope it's just a joke.

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i do carb cycling but als take in oer 4000 calssome days.....cals gotta come from somewhere, s do i jsut eat and obscene amount of fats instead of upping protein on low carb days? i dont wanna hurt myself but i love me some protein haha

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
i do carb cycling but als take in oer 4000 calssome days.....cals gotta come from somewhere, s do i jsut eat and obscene amount of fats instead of upping protein on low carb days? i dont wanna hurt myself but i love me some protein haha
It's up to you really. You just don't need to go nuts on the protein. Personally, before I always hated stressing out about my protein intake and if I was like 20g short of my goal but now I don't sweat it anymore. It's really not a HUGE deal. As long as you're getting your calories and an adequate amount of protein you'll grow.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Why would you think it is a joke?
One random guy from an uncontrolled N=1 study doesn't verify anything at all. The OP received opinions from people in the medical field about his protein intake causing health/kidney issues and it turns into this? (that's why)

willc86

Awards
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141677741

^ Thread of a guy who went on a cut while only eating ~90g of protein a day on average and went from ~220 to 178 while not losing strength. Pretty much verifies that protein intake is overstated in most aspects.
wow interesting. seems its all about calories to make you gain or lose and protein is just enough to just repair tissues and muscles. I might be sticking to 1g a body weight while continuing a 4k calorie diet with peanut butter and carbs like whole wheat pasta and rice

so, pretty much the conclusion is, anyone can grow and/or bulk with 1g protein per body weight as long as the calorie intake is a surplus?

has anyone done an experiment an/or ended up bulking and getting bigger muscle size and cutting once you hit your goal without an excess of protein?

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
One random guy from an uncontrolled N=1 study doesn't verify anything at all. The OP received opinions from people in the medical field about his protein intake causing health/kidney issues and it turns into this? (that's why)
It's still relevant to the topic. Ok, since mine is only n=1 then show me anything that suggests that taking in 2g/lb of protein over 1g/lb of protein is more beneficial to lifting. I'll wait.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
wow interesting. seems its all about calories to make you gain or lose and protein is just enough to just repair tissues and muscles. I might be sticking to 1g a body weight while continuing a 4k calorie diet with peanut butter and carbs like whole wheat pasta and rice

so, pretty much the conclusion is, anyone can grow and/or bulk with 1g protein per body weight as long as the calorie intake is a surplus?

has anyone done an experiment an/or ended up bulking and getting bigger muscle size and cutting once you hit your goal without an excess of protein?
In the last month, doing intermittent fasting, I've been recomping while usually only taking in anywhere from 100-120g of protein. Lost in between 1-2% BF while maintaining my weight at ~165.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
It's still relevant to the topic. Ok, since mine is only n=1 then show me anything that suggests that taking in 2g/lb of protein over 1g/lb of protein is more beneficial to lifting. I'll wait.
What does being detrimental to health and kidney function have to do with lifting? I guess the actual question wasn't interesting enough to you?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ok but at 150 lbs that means idnly be eating 150 protein but i eat 4000 cals......thats ALOT of carbs or ALOT of fats on low carb days

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's beneficial bc it tastes good as hell and increases calories.

I personally eat 2-3 lbs of chicken or turkey a day.

Fits macros. Tastes amazing. I'm lean and staying strong

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
It's beneficial bc it tastes good as hell and increases calories.

I personally eat 2-3 lbs of chicken or turkey a day.

Fits macros. Tastes amazing. I'm lean and staying strong
I'm not criticizing whatsoever. I love protein dense foods more than any other food but eating that much is really harsh on the wallet. I'm in college so I don't exactly have a huge budget. I'm just saying that I hate when people pretty much say you need 1.5 g/lb of protein to grow. I'm just trying to say that it isn't necessary to do so.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you go by NNU by ALR

If you weigh 220 divide by 2.2 = 100kg multiply by .4 = 40 g nitrogen

So 16g nitrogen per 100 g protein. You need 250g protein per day to hit your NNU so that's about 1.15 g per lb of protein

Just sayin

willc86

Awards
If you go by NNU by ALR

If you weigh 220 divide by 2.2 = 100kg multiply by .4 = 40 g nitrogen

So 16g nitrogen per 100 g protein. You need 250g protein per day to hit your NNU so that's about 1.15 g per lb of protein

Just sayin

what is NNU

so what is the controversy between 2-3g protein / lb of body weight. Is it really harsh on your liver and can cause problems if you are an athlete that is active?

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
what is NNU

so what is the controversy between 2-3g protein / lb of body weight. Is it really harsh on your liver and can cause problems if you are an athlete that is active?
Net nitrogen utilization. Personally I didn't really find out too much about it after looking it up aside from which foods have the best values.

Also, *kidneys.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AntM1564 Anabolics 17
Jeff5886 Weight Loss 49
Nutrition / Health 51
Nutrition / Health 10
Bedrosian88 Nutrition / Health 2