too much protein bad?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by broda View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=141677741

^ Thread of a guy who went on a cut while only eating ~90g of protein a day on average and went from ~220 to 178 while not losing strength. Pretty much verifies that protein intake is overstated in most aspects.
    wow interesting. seems its all about calories to make you gain or lose and protein is just enough to just repair tissues and muscles. I might be sticking to 1g a body weight while continuing a 4k calorie diet with peanut butter and carbs like whole wheat pasta and rice

so, pretty much the conclusion is, anyone can grow and/or bulk with 1g protein per body weight as long as the calorie intake is a surplus?

has anyone done an experiment an/or ended up bulking and getting bigger muscle size and cutting once you hit your goal without an excess of protein?

2. Quote Originally Posted by todd muelheim View Post
    One random guy from an uncontrolled N=1 study doesn't verify anything at all. The OP received opinions from people in the medical field about his protein intake causing health/kidney issues and it turns into this? (that's why)
    It's still relevant to the topic. Ok, since mine is only n=1 then show me anything that suggests that taking in 2g/lb of protein over 1g/lb of protein is more beneficial to lifting. I'll wait.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    wow interesting. seems its all about calories to make you gain or lose and protein is just enough to just repair tissues and muscles. I might be sticking to 1g a body weight while continuing a 4k calorie diet with peanut butter and carbs like whole wheat pasta and rice

so, pretty much the conclusion is, anyone can grow and/or bulk with 1g protein per body weight as long as the calorie intake is a surplus?

has anyone done an experiment an/or ended up bulking and getting bigger muscle size and cutting once you hit your goal without an excess of protein?
    In the last month, doing intermittent fasting, I've been recomping while usually only taking in anywhere from 100-120g of protein. Lost in between 1-2% BF while maintaining my weight at ~165.

4. Quote Originally Posted by broda
    It's still relevant to the topic. Ok, since mine is only n=1 then show me anything that suggests that taking in 2g/lb of protein over 1g/lb of protein is more beneficial to lifting. I'll wait.
    What does being detrimental to health and kidney function have to do with lifting? I guess the actual question wasn't interesting enough to you?

5. ok but at 150 lbs that means idnly be eating 150 protein but i eat 4000 cals......thats ALOT of carbs or ALOT of fats on low carb days
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by broda
    It's beneficial bc it tastes good as hell and increases calories.

I personally eat 2-3 lbs of chicken or turkey a day.

Fits macros. Tastes amazing. I'm lean and staying strong

7. Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    It's beneficial bc it tastes good as hell and increases calories.

I personally eat 2-3 lbs of chicken or turkey a day.

Fits macros. Tastes amazing. I'm lean and staying strong
    I'm not criticizing whatsoever. I love protein dense foods more than any other food but eating that much is really harsh on the wallet. I'm in college so I don't exactly have a huge budget. I'm just saying that I hate when people pretty much say you need 1.5 g/lb of protein to grow. I'm just trying to say that it isn't necessary to do so.

8. Quote Originally Posted by broda
    If you go by NNU by ALR

If you weigh 220 divide by 2.2 = 100kg multiply by .4 = 40 g nitrogen

So 16g nitrogen per 100 g protein. You need 250g protein per day to hit your NNU so that's about 1.15 g per lb of protein

Just sayin

9. Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    If you go by NNU by ALR

If you weigh 220 divide by 2.2 = 100kg multiply by .4 = 40 g nitrogen

So 16g nitrogen per 100 g protein. You need 250g protein per day to hit your NNU so that's about 1.15 g per lb of protein

Just sayin

what is NNU

so what is the controversy between 2-3g protein / lb of body weight. Is it really harsh on your liver and can cause problems if you are an athlete that is active?

10. Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    what is NNU

so what is the controversy between 2-3g protein / lb of body weight. Is it really harsh on your liver and can cause problems if you are an athlete that is active?
    Net nitrogen utilization. Personally I didn't really find out too much about it after looking it up aside from which foods have the best values.

Also, *kidneys.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Too much protein for breakfast?
    By hyper24 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
  2. Too Much Protein
    By swangswang in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 12:21 AM
  3. Bobo,TOO much protein & weak bones.....
    By Jag in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 06:15 PM
  4. Bobo,TOO much protein & weak bones.....
    By Jag in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 01:15 AM
  5. too much protein?
    By panman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 12:00 PM