rookie question about 5x5 workouts

beachbrat79

Awards
I've just been introduced to the 5x5 workout concept, but i'm trying to clarify some of the details for it.

Is it ok to do the 5x5 workout for one muscle group and a different approach for another group? (my goals are not the same for all muscle groups)

If I do 5x5 for a single muscle group, do all exercises for that muscle group have to be 5x5? (some exercises just seem useless doing only 5 reps per set)

The big question, how should the weights increase versus reps per set? I know its suppose to be 5 sets by 5 reps per set, but how should I increase my weights? Right now, the last 2 sets are usually really difficult, only getting 4 and 3 reps on them (not quite the 5 reps described), but the first two or 3 sets are usually really easy, where I could do 10 or more reps if I wanted. How should the weights be increased? Should I be able to get 5 reps on teh last set? Should I start higher and not increase til sets 4 or 5? Also, i'm not making huge increases between sets, but only going up by the next logical weight. if its dumbbells, i go up to the next weight. If its on a bar, i go up by 5 lbs or 10 lbs depending on the exercise. How should I be stepping the weights?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I've known people that use different routines on different bodyparts, but without knowing your goals, it's hard to reccomend this concept. I've always approached a 5x5 like this:
http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html
Where you do 5 reps each set, and increase the weight with each set until you are failing on the 5th.

ManBeast

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
how long do you typically rest between sets on 5x5?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I've known people that use different routines on different bodyparts, but without knowing your goals, it's hard to reccomend this concept. I've always approached a 5x5 like this:
http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html
Where you do 5 reps each set, and increase the weight with each set until you are failing on the 5th.

ManBeast
That's my thinking we need to know where you going if were to help you get there. And no you don't have to do anything in bodybuilding. Sometimes different things work for different muscle groups. Now fill us in on the missing info and we'll see what we can do. J

beachbrat79

Awards
Sorry about the goals, didn't realize that it was really needed. My goals are more for athletic ability, rather than strictly body building. I'm going for overall strength, but not necessarily size. I'm 6'4 260 lbs. I need to cut about 2 inches off my waist, but i'm not obese. I've got 18.5" arms and am by no means unathletic. I am constantly asked what football team I play for, and I don't look like a fat lineman either. I want to cut chest and back, while I'm looking for both size and strength for arms, shoulders and legs. I'm trying for 20+" arms, but not just size, I want to have effective strength.

I also think I have plenty of rest between sets. Normally 2-3 minutes between sets of the 5x5.

Thanks for the help

I can post my current workouts if it would help. Just let me know.

Last edited:

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards
The traditional "5x5" is not actually five sets for five reps with increasing weight each set. Many guys do this, but it's not the way the old-timers did it. The way they did it is once they could do the 5 reps for all 5 sets of the same weight, then they added about 5% to the weight for the next session. You should only have about 1 minute rest between sets to keep the intensity up. In another way of saying it, the weight remains the same until you can complete the full 5x5 with only 1 minute rest between sets. The first couple sets seem easy and they become to failure sets at the end.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Sorry about the goals, didn't realize that it was really needed. My goals are more for athletic ability, rather than strictly body building. I'm going for overall strength, but not necessarily size. I'm 6'4 260 lbs. I need to cut about 2 inches off my waist, but i'm not obese. I've got 18.5" arms and am by no means unathletic. I am constantly asked what football team I play for, and I don't look like a fat lineman either. I want to cut chest and back, while I'm looking for both size and strength for arms, shoulders and legs. I'm trying for 20+" arms, but not just size, I want to have effective strength.

I also think I have plenty of rest between sets. Normally 2-3 minutes between sets of the 5x5.

Thanks for the help I can post my current workouts if it would help. Just let me know.

Curious as to what your bf% is? As for your goals, if you want to cut chest and back then what you want to do is build the lean muscle in that area as well as the arms, chest, ect..... No such thing as spot reduction for bodyfat unless you get lipo. Getting "cut" is a product of diet first then having the muscle underneath to fill that space so to speak.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
When I used to use this type of training I had one 5x5 set for a body part, and 1-2 sets of 8-12 reps for 2 other additional exercises. An example would be:
5x5 Inc bench
1-2 sets of flat flyes, 8-12 reps
1-2 sets elbows out weighted dips 8-12

I just made sure to keep time between sets constant from week to week. Can't remember if it was 1 or 2 minutes. Oh and when I was able to get all five sets of the 5x5 exercise, I would increase the weight in the smallest increment available. Also to be noted, I started about 25-30lbs under my 5x5 maxes then worked my way up, and past my original maxes. It seems a "running start" helps.

I've read of several other people doing it this way, or similar, with good results.