Shoulder pain during overhead db press

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by bigguyn10ec View Post
    I think I go for the nipple area. Which I guess when Im positioned correctly should be about right. ( meaning I have my lats tight chest up butt firmly on bench ect. ) If I try a more powerlifting position ( arms tucked ) I have lots of shoulder pain when doing heavy sets. If I do a more bodybuilding style I dont have as much pain but I feel it in my shoulders more.

    Makes no sense to me at all. I think this is why I do DB most of the time. I just like to throw barbells in once in a while to see where my gains are at.
    Bodybuilding or powerlifting, your shoulder blades should always be pinched together throughout the movement, in a sense opening up your chest. If you don't do this, benching, especially with a barbell, will load the weight on the shoulders instead of the chest.

    Next, where the bar touches depends on your grip. Technically, your elbows should always be tucked (pointing in as opposed to pointing out), although it's ok if they're slightly flared at the top. If you grip the bar close, the bar should definitely be hitting somewhere clearly below your sternum and around your upper abs. If you have a really wide grip (index on rings), the bar should probably hit around the bottom of your pecs, like where the bottom of your pecs meet the rib cage muscles. The only time the bar should hit your nipples is if you are using an ultra wide grip, like index inches outside the rings of the bar. Make sure to press the bar in as straight of a line as possible, as pressing in a J or C motion involves more shoulder abduction (as does too wide of a grip).


  2. Awesome article! Thanks a ton Rodja
    •   
       


  3. Ok after reading this thread and that article and everything, I looked at my routine again and made some drastic changes to correct the imbalance of my chest and back. Then, last night around 3am, I woke up in bed laying on my back with my hands behind my head. As I lowered my arms to my sides something just to the left of my spine in my mid back snapped loudly and has hurt badly ever since. I can barely use my left arm, look up, or bend my neck to the left. It's not as intense as it was last night now, but it still hurts. What did I do?

  4. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw

    Both of my shoulders hurt when I tried that test. I get pain in my shoulders all the time lifting but it's always during some kind of press so I was thinking my back (which is lagging compared to the chest) was the cause. I've been focusing more on rotator cuff exercises and it's helped but not eliminated it. Does this mean I need an MRI?
    Out of curiosity do u do any basic pushups & also various rows?

  5. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    Ok after reading this thread and that article and everything, I looked at my routine again and made some drastic changes to correct the imbalance of my chest and back. Then, last night around 3am, I woke up in bed laying on my back with my hands behind my head. As I lowered my arms to my sides something just to the left of my spine in my mid back snapped loudly and has hurt badly ever since. I can barely use my left arm, look up, or bend my neck to the left. It's not as intense as it was last night now, but it still hurts. What did I do?
    Foo'ed it up. Lol. Not sure but it sucks
    Here is my loghttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/216779-bigguy-vs-wilpit.htmlhttp://supplementreviews.com/users/mhseaver670/reviews
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    Ok after reading this thread and that article and everything, I looked at my routine again and made some drastic changes to correct the imbalance of my chest and back. Then, last night around 3am, I woke up in bed laying on my back with my hands behind my head. As I lowered my arms to my sides something just to the left of my spine in my mid back snapped loudly and has hurt badly ever since. I can barely use my left arm, look up, or bend my neck to the left. It's not as intense as it was last night now, but it still hurts. What did I do?
    That's messed up... What back exercises do u do? Especially any bentover rows etc?

  7. Face pulls with bands, seated cable rows, pull ups/chin ups, hyper extensions, kettle bell swings(with a cement block), prone rows, and I think thats it. I quit training everything for a week and a half and have now cut my chest and anterior delt training in half, and added some back work into every day and it seems to be helping.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    Face pulls with bands, seated cable rows, pull ups/chin ups, hyper extensions, kettle bell swings(with a cement block), prone rows, and I think thats it. I quit training everything for a week and a half and have now cut my chest and anterior delt training in half, and added some back work into every day and it seems to be helping.
    Sounds good... Your workouts need to be balanced... Every "push" exercise must be accompanied by a "pull" exercise... How's your posture now?

  9. My backs straight and shoulders back. There is too much internal rotation of the humorus tho.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    My backs straight and shoulders back. There is too much internal rotation of the humorus tho.
    Do you do normal push-ups as well as bench etc? Sounds Luke you need to strengthen your stabilize muscles around your scapulas (S.I.T.S) for one... Keep up the back work & try focus on your strengthening your traps & rhomboids (muscle joining the shoulder blades)... Do you have a trainer that can assist you with some stretching? Your chest may be a bit tight... Bentover shoulder flys can work the rhomboids well...

  11. I do a few pushup variations since I'm in the army reserve and pushups are part of the pt test. I workout at home and don't have free weights yet but I do front presses on a machine I have. I cut my number of sets for each chest workout I do in half. I'm working on getting dumbbells so I can add bent over flies to my routine.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    I do a few pushup variations since I'm in the army reserve and pushups are part of the pt test. I workout at home and don't have free weights yet but I do front presses on a machine I have. I cut my number of sets for each chest workout I do in half. I'm working on getting dumbbells so I can add bent over flies to my routine.
    I think a combination of tightening your back & stretching your chest to increase your ROM will do you a lot of good... You should notice your humorous rotate externally if you bring your shoulder blades together while standing relaxed... If you do notice that happen, then the traps & rhomboids work will pay off...

  13. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    I do a few pushup variations since I'm in the army reserve and pushups are part of the pt test. I workout at home and don't have free weights yet but I do front presses on a machine I have. I cut my number of sets for each chest workout I do in half. I'm working on getting dumbbells so I can add bent over flies to my routine.
    I think a combination of tightening your back & stretching your chest to increase your ROM will do you a lot of good... You should notice your humorous rotate externally if you bring your shoulder blades together while standing relaxed... If you do notice that happen, then the traps & rhomboids work will pay off...

  14. Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz

    I think a combination of tightening your back & stretching your chest to increase your ROM will do you a lot of good... You should notice your humorous rotate externally if you bring your shoulder blades together while standing relaxed... If you do notice that happen, then the traps & rhomboids work will pay off...
    *Strengthening, not tightening...

  15. Thanks a lot. I'll keep workin on it.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    Thanks a lot. I'll keep workin on it.
    No problems... Be sure to update me with your progress...

    JD

  17. I've been focusin real hard on keepin my shoulder blades together and stepped up the intensity of my back workouts and it seems to be helping. All the pain is gone and I feel like my strength is improving. I've still got a lot of work to do but I'm gettin there.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    I've been focusin real hard on keepin my shoulder blades together and stepped up the intensity of my back workouts and it seems to be helping. All the pain is gone and I feel like my strength is improving. I've still got a lot of work to do but I'm gettin there.
    That's awesome to hear... Pain gone, strength gains... Sounds like it's all heading in the right direction for you...

  19. Quote Originally Posted by BLaQz

    That's awesome to hear... Pain gone, strength gains... Sounds like it's all heading in the right direction for you...
    Second the motion. Glad its picking up well, no pun intended.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

  20. Quote Originally Posted by bigguyn10ec

    Great post. I can do this but Its like I cant get my shoulder to work right. Like My muscles are confused. It dont hurt, just like it dont want to work. Whats that mean?
    I literally went to see a specialist 2 days ago with a very similar problem.

    Take 4 weeks and do very light and controlled rotator cuff exercises. Avoid presses and overhead movements for a couple weeks and then try some push ups (all the way up until you protract your scapulae).

    If you can't press after these four weeks there are two potential issues: 1) you have rotator tendonitis that just needs more time to heal/a cortisone shot to aid in rehab. Option 2 is worse, you could have a lesion on your labrum (the cartilage of the shoulder socket). What this can do is create instability in the shoulder. Instability dsnt always mean your shoulder feels like buckling but it can result in over compensation by other muscles.

    Labral tears are diagnosed by MRIs w contrast dye. Im getting mine this monday. The MRI Will tell you if you need surgery or if its simply an overuse injury that needs longer to heal.

    Do you ever get anterior delt pain? When your shoulder starts to hurt does it feel like a hot swollen ache? Do you lose strength in that shoulder if you try to push through it?

  21. Quote Originally Posted by The Storm16

    I literally went to see a specialist 2 days ago with a very similar problem.

    Take 4 weeks and do very light and controlled rotator cuff exercises. Avoid presses and overhead movements for a couple weeks and then try some push ups (all the way up until you protract your scapulae).

    If you can't press after these four weeks there are two potential issues: 1) you have rotator tendonitis that just needs more time to heal/a cortisone shot to aid in rehab. Option 2 is worse, you could have a lesion on your labrum (the cartilage of the shoulder socket). What this can do is create instability in the shoulder. Instability dsnt always mean your shoulder feels like buckling but it can result in over compensation by other muscles.

    Labral tears are diagnosed by MRIs w contrast dye. Im getting mine this monday. The MRI Will tell you if you need surgery or if its simply an overuse injury that needs longer to heal.

    Do you ever get anterior delt pain? When your shoulder starts to hurt does it feel like a hot swollen ache? Do you lose strength in that shoulder if you try to push through it?
    Whenever it hurts it's a sharp pain but doesn't affect strength at all as long as I'm willing to push through it. The pain is only just to the left of my spine around mid shoulder blade. I want to get a test of some kind to see what the problem is but I have metal in my body so I can't get an MRI. But, I have done almost nothing but back and leg work for the last few weeks and the pain is not as bad.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw

    Whenever it hurts it's a sharp pain but doesn't affect strength at all as long as I'm willing to push through it. The pain is only just to the left of my spine around mid shoulder blade. I want to get a test of some kind to see what the problem is but I have metal in my body so I can't get an MRI. But, I have done almost nothing but back and leg work for the last few weeks and the pain is not as bad.
    Ok so what you're describing is different from what the other guy had. What I just said above about mri and stuff dsnt rly apply to you. Mid shoulder next to spine is probably not anything to do with your labrum or bursa or rotator cuff(at least not directly). I'd guess some kind of soft tissue injury, which is what it sounds like if it's getting better w rest.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by bomcgraw
    I've been focusin real hard on keepin my shoulder blades together and stepped up the intensity of my back workouts and it seems to be helping. All the pain is gone and I feel like my strength is improving. I've still got a lot of work to do but I'm gettin there.
    Progress report?

    JD

  24. Well things got crazy at work and home so I didn get to lift very much this past week but I haven't had any pain except one time when I tried to catch a falling piece of metal at work, but I think that would've hurt anyone's shoulder because of the odd angle and weight. Also, because I've increased my cardio I have decreased weight training frequency, but have increased the intensity and am still seeing small gains. So far, it looks like te trouble is past as long as I don't do anything stupid.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. B.b. Military press shoulder pain
    By nickd783 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM
  2. shoulder & db press
    By Exercise123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 09:24 AM
  3. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 12:41 PM
  4. Extreme shoulder pain during beching last night...
    By rabican in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 01:08 AM
  5. Shoulder pain
    By Gmonkey in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Log in
Log in