Cardio....what is your game plan?

tommy36p

Awards
Hey guys and gals, I am just wondering what type of Cardio you prefer. Examples such as interval cardio training or just running constantly for about 30-40 minutes. Give me your feedback on what you do and why. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
You'll get many difrent opinions on this issue, but personally for me, I do 45 to 55 min of cardio consistantly around 75% to80% APMHR daily. I have trained this way for years and my body has become very efficient at burning fat this way. When I really want to get sliced, I try to do it twice a day. It melts the fat like butter without the need to cut calories too drasticly or result to stimulants to get the desired effect. Again... This is not the only way, just what works for me.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
whatever you can stick to consistently.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i walk miles a day while doing my things in new york city. So im good with moderate intensity, 12-20 minutes, 3 days a week. usually a stepper or treadmill on incline (walk pace)
Sage

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
65% of MaxHR. Going above 65 or 70 really isn't necessary.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been riding the bike for 30-45 mins post training and it seems ot be doing well so far.

Had to switch it up after several months of walking on a 15 degree incline.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not nessesary, but Does increase fat burning potential and total calories burned during and after cardio.
We're both right. The higher the intensity, the more calories you will burn (the main goal :thumbsup: ). However, once you go above 65 or 70%, the percentage of fat sources does not go up. So basically, you burn more calories will high intensity exercise, but after 70% or so, oxidative phosphorylation cannot keep up with the demand and fast energy sources (ATP+CP, Glycolysis) must be utilized, thus more muscle glycogen depletion.

Summary :thumbsup: : High intensity cardio is better than low intensity cardio!

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards
I currently use High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and think it's the best way for someone that is not obese. It takes less time, burns more fat because it increases metabolism, and maintains more muscle mass because of the GH release.

The best that I've read on the theory and science behind it is the links below. You have to read all three articles though to fully understand HIIT.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kurilla1.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kurilla2.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kurilla3.htm

tommy36p

Awards
Hey SlimJim, those were some good readings on HIIT. However, I didn't really grasp any types of HIIT Styles. I only read about a stationary bike. Help me out here, but what are some examples of hit...say 30 secs walk, 30 secs run, 30 secs sprint? or am I on the wrong track. I wanna start trying this method out personally, so any help on methods of HIIT would be appreciated. I will search around here for more info also. Thanks everyone.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
last night i tried the 40yd sprint, 40yd walk(cool down) then repeat, for the first time.
was quite an experience, for 1.2 miles.

i was busted, man it was rough,....going to do it again tonight.hehe

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Hey SlimJim, those were some good readings on HIIT. However, I didn't really grasp any types of HIIT Styles. I only read about a stationary bike. Help me out here, but what are some examples of hit...say 30 secs walk, 30 secs run, 30 secs sprint? or am I on the wrong track. I wanna start trying this method out personally, so any help on methods of HIIT would be appreciated. I will search around here for more info also. Thanks everyone.
how about this:
jog for 45 seconds and then sprint for 15 seconds, then repeat for about 15 minutes and if you feel like you need to puke then you got in a good workout!!!

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards
Yes, the HIIT routines that he goes into are very complicated to follow. I personally use an eliptical trainer instead of a bike and a heart rate monitor very similar to how he describes. It doesn't need to be so complicated though. Basically you do a 5 min warmup, 30-90 sec of an all out effort, then cool down for about 3-4 times as long as your all out effort, repeat the all out effort and cool down for a total of five times, end with a cool down, and that's it. When I ran track, we did a 800m jog to warm up, then 400m dash, then 400m walk, dash / walk 4 times, then 800m jog - this may be a little much for someone that's not a competative runner though. I have also used squat thrusts in my basement when I couldn't run - killer! The type of cardio isn't as important as the intensity.

Remember that with interval training you can actually overtrain just like with lifting. Too frequently doesn't give the body time to recuperate - maybe 3 times a week. If you have too long a session, it will run up your cortisol levels just like with lifting - my sessions only last at most 30 minutes including the warm up and cool down.

tommy36p

Awards
awesome, thanks for the many inputs on ways to do HIIT. I'm gonna try it out tonight, I'll let yah know what happens.

tommy36p

Awards
haha....I did what DSL did...the 45 sec jog and 15 sec sprint...I went my usual 2 miles. The hot florida sun made me dizzy and I almost caughed up my lunch because my throat was so dry...it was a hell of a workout and one I will stick to though. I wanna start using my jump rope more often too. But thanks for everyone's advice on the HITT routine. If you have anything to add, type it out. Later

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
haha....I did what DSL did...the 45 sec jog and 15 sec sprint...I went my usual 2 miles. The hot florida sun made me dizzy and I almost caughed up my lunch because my throat was so dry...it was a hell of a workout and one I will stick to though. I wanna start using my jump rope more often too. But thanks for everyone's advice on the HITT routine. If you have anything to add, type it out. Later
ya, that really tends to kick my ass, oh and let us know what your results are.
peace

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yes, 20 mins of jump rope is a very good workout :)

BackHand

Awards
I just run around the football track for about 30 minutes. about 2 times a week.

beachbrat79

Awards
everyone seems to stick with the main cardios (running, walking, biking, jump rope), but does anyone use a rowing machine? I have lived off it for the past few years and love it, but since I'm not seeing any real advocates for it, I'm kind of wondering if there is a reason. I also love swimming, but don't see any of that either. Did I miss the boat on some information?

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards
everyone seems to stick with the main cardios (running, walking, biking, jump rope), but does anyone use a rowing machine? I have lived off it for the past few years and love it, but since I'm not seeing any real advocates for it, I'm kind of wondering if there is a reason. I also love swimming, but don't see any of that either. Did I miss the boat on some information?
As long as you can get your heart rate up to the maxHR that you are shouting for, then any form of cardio will do. The legs work really well for raising the heart rate because of all of the muscle mass involved. If you can do it with only your upper body, then that should work. I'm sure swimming would do it as well as anything. I've considered trying it myself but I have this fear of fizzling out in the middle of the pool. I don't want any teenage girl lifeguard saving my life. How could I look anyone in the eye after that?

beachbrat79

Awards
As long as you can get your heart rate up to the maxHR that you are shouting for, then any form of cardio will do. The legs work really well for raising the heart rate because of all of the muscle mass involved. If you can do it with only your upper body, then that should work. I'm sure swimming would do it as well as anything. I've considered trying it myself but I have this fear of fizzling out in the middle of the pool. I don't want any teenage girl lifeguard saving my life. How could I look anyone in the eye after that?
that's the best part when the hot little teenage girl gets to save you! :lol: Maybe try a 25 m pool instead of the larger 50m ones. They aren't so intimidating and you can usually touch bottom the majority of the length of the swim ifyou do get tired. Swimming helped me the most get in shape, but b/c of Hurricane Ivan I no longer have a decent pool at my disposal. Now I'm trying to work more on the rowing and adding in running (I HATE running). I would say if you are starting swimming though, don't push yourself too far. You won't feel the sweat, but you get real tired real fast.

charliewat

Awards
does anyone have examples of intervals you can do on a treadmill? the only one I know of is putting the speed to like 8mph and run for 20sec and then just jump to the side for 10sec. and repeat for about 8 min. Does this sound good or is it not enough of a break?

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Treadmills have interval training on them, well at my gym they do....why not try running that way you can do it yourself....run 2 mins, walk 1 min.......?? an idea...

Me personally, I run for an hour outside, on the weekends or i do a road race, and during the week, 40-45 mins of the stepper, on level 8 to start, than to level 12......sometimes i get bored so I do the cross trainer, still 45 mins, on resistance 13 and incline well that varys.........