Trap Bar Deadlifts - Anyone?

stuart harlin

Awards
As a continuation to my earlier question of the best overall back exercise... in which a lot of people voiced their preference for deadlifts, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the trap bar.

For those not familiar, this is a device that allows the lifter to stand inside a square or octagonally shaped metal bar and perform a modified version of the deadlift without placing excess stress on their erectors. As I am a relatively tall lifter, 6'2, I found that standard deadlifts were difficult to perform and usually caused me some physical and quite a bit of mental distress while performing them. I don't think that my upper back is as stimulated as much with trap bar deadlifts, but I certainly experience a much better pump in my glutes (even better than any type of squat).

Please share your opinions, experiences and other insights into this relatively unknown device/exercise.

PS. I have never used this device to perform shrugs, which makes the bar's name somewhat ridiculous to me...haha.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I just started using it myself and I really love it. It takes away the awkwardness and shin pain associated with a standard deadlift and really lets me move some real poundages for a change. It's a lot less scarey to move the higher poundes with.

You're right about the glute pump and I even feel it in my hams and quads pretty well. I learned very quickly that straps are pretty much mandatory with this piece of equipment.

I do not do shrugs anymore as my levatators put me in agony every time I do them. I did use the trap bar once to shrug and it seemed like the grip/hand spacing was too far out...but I'm not that big/wide either at 5'10" 180.

stuart harlin

Awards
Trap Bar response

That is kind of what mine looks like but, no offense, but that looks like a ghetto version. My model has metal all around the frame and weighs 45 pounds. I have never seen that type before... after reading about the model though, it looks pretty good and the bar would not impede movement in the back. Good find...
Have you personally used the trap bar?

Last edited:
Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
That is kind of what mine looks like but, no offense, but that looks like a ghetto version. My model has metal all around the frame and weighs 45 pounds. I have never seen that type before... after reading about the model though, it looks pretty good and the bar would not impede movement in the back. Good find...
Have you personally used the trap bar?
the one i posted is 45lbs and all metal.. but no ive never tried one yet..

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
anyone know where you can get a cheap cambered squat bar, the things are pricey!

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
The trap bar is a great exercise. In my experiece it takes some of the pressure off the lower back. If you gym has it I would use it.

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
I have the one from newyork barbell as well I love it, if I could do one and only one exercise for my whole body it would be trap bar deadlifts, they affect so much of your muscle mass it is just unreal.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
That's a sweet bar Atrain.

Yeah I immediately noticed the difference when I started using the trap bar over the straight. Less pressure on lower back and a greater overall pump. It even seems to pump my entire torso..great stuff.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE trap-bar deads...my favorite of all time!

I have this one: http://newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0022shr.html

Want this one: http://newyorkbarbells.tv/im-0063.html

They're also a lot easier to teach clients to dead than with a straight bar. Great piece of equipment.
NOTE: I also have the first one, but I'm too short to get the full benefit of that bar (I'm 5'10" and when using that bar with
the higher hand grips I can't bend my knees far enough like in a regular deadlift). If you're going to get one, make sure it is the right height for you.

Now, the second one, is the one I need obviously.

If anyone would like to trade/buy for the first one shown, PM me. It's brand new only used a couple times (no scratches at all).
I will be selling it dirt cheap.

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
NOTE: I also have the first one, but I'm too short to get the full benefit of that bar (I'm 5'10" and when using that bar with
the higher hand grips I can't bend my knees far enough like in a regular deadlift). If you're going to get one, make sure it is the right height for you.

Now, the second one, is the one I need obviously.

If anyone would like to trade/buy for the first one shown, PM me. It's brand new only used a couple times (no scratches at all).
I will be selling it dirt cheap.
I also am 5'10" and I have no trouble with the bar, I have the exact same one, what trouble are you having with it?? I absolutely could not live w/o mine

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I also am 5'10" and I have no trouble with the bar, I have the exact same one, what trouble are you having with it?? I absolutely could not live w/o mine
I don't really get a full range of motion. With 45s on there, my knees aren't bent enough in the lowest part of the movement (When I used to use a regular 7' olympic bar, I would start out lower to the ground and knees were bent more and bring more of my legs and back into the movement.)

goes4ever

Awards
  • Established
try using a box under your feet then, enough to raise you so you feel more in the position you are after. I personally don't have that problem and thinks it hits my legs great