Is stretching a must do?

M

Matt Hatchett

Awards
Just curious if stretching is required for training? Im looking to be an all around better athlete. What are the advantages other than the obvious flexibility?
Thanks!

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
stretching the fascia is pretty beneficial for building muscle.

the DC training stretches are held for 60-90 seconds

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Im a huge fan of DC training and stretching methodology. Improves recovery and helps grow.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
^ DC stretches are brutal, but they rock. I've read something about overloaded stretches increasing the number of muscle fibers in a way unachievable by other means. For me it helps with DOMS as well.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just curious if stretching is required for training? Im looking to be an all around better athlete. What are the advantages other than the obvious flexibility?
Thanks!
Stretching is not REQUIRED for training, no, but if you want to get the most out of your training and to be "an all around better athlete", then it SHOULD be a part of your Training Programme, IMO, even if only for INactuve recovery. Stretching has many benefits, inclusive but not limited to being a preventative measure for injury, aiding in recovery, etc.

~Rosie~

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
You should be wary of the downsides, in addition to its benefits. Static stretching has been shown to reduce power output and, in general, can cause hypermobility and joint laxity. I also don't believe there are many, if any, studies showing it reduces risk of injury. It's another tool that needs to be used appropriately.

Most athletes I've encountered have achieved sufficient mobility and flexibility simply by executing full range of motion weight training. Those with issues such as tight pecs, hip flexors and the likes do stretch these trouble areas, however. Overall, I guess I'd say stretch with a purpose in mind.

M

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I rarely stretch except when I work my lower body. Recently I started lifting a lot heavier and I'm constantly getting cramps, especially during bench press. A friend told me I have neglected stretching which could make a difference. I was just curious because I've never had any problems before?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You should be wary of the downsides, in addition to its benefits. Static stretching has been shown to reduce power output and, in general, can cause hypermobility and joint laxity. I also don't believe there are many, if any, studies showing it reduces risk of injury. It's another tool that needs to be used appropriately.

Most athletes I've encountered have achieved sufficient mobility and flexibility simply by executing full range of motion weight training. Those with issues such as tight pecs, hip flexors and the likes do stretch these trouble areas, however. Overall, I guess I'd say stretch with a purpose in mind.
This is good advice and in line with what I was going to write when I read the post.

Ideally, we should analyze our movements (be-it sport specific or just every day functionality), identify mobility inadequacies and poor patterns, then use exercises to correct these. Once you identify muscles that are chronically tight, then you can use passive stretching to lengthen them.

Br

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, warming up should be more of a concern. Often people skip this stage in order to get staright into it without knowing the dangers of placing huge, repetitive stress on a cold muscle. Not to mention heat makes a muscle more 'efficient'.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
dynamic streches with your warm up. static streches after training.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
i stretch every night after my shower, but before workouts i do starting exercises to get the blood flowing

thehulk0316

thehulk0316

Awards
Im a huge fan of joint-mobility work before a workout. Usually hit up whatever is most sore first and then maybe plug in a couple sets of whatever movement im going to be doing in my actual workout. Be that a HIIT session or lift. Also, mobilitywod.com is a pretty solid site for good mobility work, stretching, foam rolling and band work. Also, buy a lacrosse ball...its probably the most painful effin thing you can use to break up fascia but probably one of the best and most inexpensive tools in your mobility tool box. And yes, stretching and mobility work is essential, probably only second to the big S, sleep.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do a lot of dynamic warm ups and full range skill work before actually lifting. Passive stretching I'll do afterwards or on off days. I also foam roll quite a bit. My regimen i have also tailored to me specifically in regards to the areas that I need worked. The same warm up routine may not be best for everyone.

Mobility Wod is a tremendous resource actually if you want to learn more on the subject and get specific ideas or solutions to certain problems.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Stretching is not REQUIRED for training, no, but if you want to get the most out of your training and to be "an all around better athlete", then it SHOULD be a part of your Training Programme, IMO, even if only for INactuve recovery. Stretching has many benefits, inclusive but not limited to being a preventative measure for injury, aiding in recovery, etc.

~Rosie~
Great answer, I agree 100%.

Z

zendog

Awards
Look into DC stretches. If your lazy like me they take no time and are done after each bodypart you train. Quick and very effective. I have made great gains lately and i'm sure DC stretching has helped.