What is the best, overall back exercise.

stuart harlin

Awards
If you had to choose only one back exercise to use per workout, what would that exercise be and why? Also how many sets of the exercise would do, rep range, etc?

I will state that IMO the pullup/chin would probably be the most effective (thickness/width), although I am rarely sore from the exercise no matter how many sets I complete.

Opinions are needed and welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Stu

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
wide-grip pullups for me

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
rows, the dangerous kind that alomst pull your spine out of your back!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you wanna grow... Ya gotta row.

Adams

stuart harlin

Awards
How do you eliminate the severe lumbar stress (or at least minimize) when doing bent-rows. I think that's why most guys use Hammer equipment because it is easier to concentrate on the back and not the spine cracking aspect...haha.

plus, how do deadlifts fit into an overall back routine?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
deadlift or don't lift baby!

i do deads first when i have the most energy 3 sets 4-6 reps to failure each set
then move on to 2 of the following: wide grip weighted pulls, rows, reverse grip pulldowns, and t-bar rows

SwoleT

Awards
deads...they're what get ya big but if u cant do deads for some reason then rows

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you can just pick one exercise for back growth like you could other muscles. Deads and pullups but not one or the other.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
One arm dumbell row seems to limit the stress on the lower back which is what I have been experiencing...

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
How come I'm not sore the next day after deadlifts? Does that mean i'm doing them incorrectly? My lower back is often more sore...

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
How come I'm not sore the next day after deadlifts? Does that mean i'm doing them incorrectly? My lower back is often more sore...
Could be, I sometimes use a snatch grip (real wide out be the collars, both hands facing you). It really puts extra strain on the traps and upper back. You could also try doing rackpulls in the smith maching and set the stops so you don't go all the way down.

deadlift variations
http://www.bodybuildinguniverse.com/routine14.htm

some pics
http://www.powerlifting.com/forum/messageview.cfm?fID=3&tID=1406

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
deadlifts are fun but barbell rows are my fav

the Cardinal

Awards
:goodpost:
I like Pull-ups combined with either Roman deadlifts or Good Mornings on a periodized basis.
Of course, I use this combination as part of a twice weekly total body workout program (at 48 y/o, I've found the routine has some advantages with regard to recovery). However, if your routine consists of body part splits, you would do the Pull-ups on a different day.

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards
How do you eliminate the severe lumbar stress (or at least minimize) when doing bent-rows. I think that's why most guys use Hammer equipment because it is easier to concentrate on the back and not the spine cracking aspect...haha.
I used to rest my chest on a 2x12 plank with one end on the floor and the other end laid against a bar in my rack at about a 45 degree angle. That takes the lower back out of it.

[/QUOTE]plus, how do deadlifts fit into an overall back routine?[/QUOTE]
For me it's deads followed by pullups and that's it. My old routine used to to be pulldowns, then either incline rows, cable rows, or t-bar rows, then shrugs, and then I'd wrap it up with hyperextensions. One day, I decided to try deadlifts and pullups and I never went back. Deads and pullups did more for me than all of the others combined.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am of an old school of thought, be it I'm not that old, but deadlifts to back are like squats to legs. I do deads first, then move on to rows or pull-ups, and I can always do more weight on all my lifts after pulling all that poundage off of the floor.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
on a personal level, i prefer deads (full and partial) over variation of rows.
Sage

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
on a personal level, i prefer deads (full and partial) over variation of rows.
Sage
For some reason I've never responded as well to deads as I do to rows. Because of a knee problem I use the sumo form for deads. I also do wide stance squats when I squat, which isn't often anymore but I'm working them back into my workout. Do you think the sumo version of deads takes stress off of the back? Someone else here said using a snatch grip focusses more stress on the upper back, perhaps the much narrower grip of sumos takes that stress off the back and puts more of it on the legs. I've also found my sumo deads to be pretty much as effective as squats were for me as far as my legs go. Any thoughts?

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
i have not done deads in a while. i just joined a new gym and they have no cable rows. since i have stopped cable rows my progress has stopped dead. i am stuck with some shitty ass machine. i think i am going to try adding deads and seeing what happens.

xXx

Board Supporter
Awards
I don't think there is any one best exercise but I have to say my favorite is Bent Over Rows.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
wide grip pull-ups hands down are the meat and potatoes of any back routine

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For some reason I've never responded as well to deads as I do to rows. Because of a knee problem I use the sumo form for deads. I also do wide stance squats when I squat, which isn't often anymore but I'm working them back into my workout. Do you think the sumo version of deads takes stress off of the back? Someone else here said using a snatch grip focusses more stress on the upper back, perhaps the much narrower grip of sumos takes that stress off the back and puts more of it on the legs. I've also found my sumo deads to be pretty much as effective as squats were for me as far as my legs go. Any thoughts?
I used to powerlift and I always used the sumo style because it put less pressure on the lower back. I like doing conventional though when building muscle because it seems to involve the back more where the sumo puts more stress on the legs, jmo.

former_SlimJim

Board Supporter
Awards
I would imagine that the snatch grip would intensify the lower back also since it lowers the shoulders more and increases the angle of the lower back. With sumos the pelvis is lower and the shoulders are higher - the back is almost erect at the starting position, which shifts some of the work off of the back and onto the legs. For me, sumos feel more like a squat / shrug.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Cool, thanks guys. Weird but my knee problem forced me to pick the dead form that also was best suited for the legs it seems. Nice deal.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Definitely Deadlifts!

sorry....a little late... :rolleyes:

skoal

Awards
I used to powerlift and I always used the sumo style because it put less pressure on the lower back. I like doing conventional though when building muscle because it seems to involve the back more where the sumo puts more stress on the legs, jmo.
Sumo style puts about 5-7% less stress on the back. When using sumo you shift more of the stress to the legs. That doesn't mean it's easier or harder, just different. If you've tweaked your back, sumo might be a good choice. But I'll agree, DEADLIFTS ARE THE BEST FOR THE BACK!!! If all you did was bench, squat and deadlift, you could get yourself a pretty nice body. Also, I think deadlifts give the back a density that you just don't get with any other back exercise.

If you're erectors aren't sore for the next 2 or 3 days, you're probably not lifting heavy enough. Before rupturing a disk in my back, I loved deadlifting, but hated every set of them. It really is a love/hate thing. You get a lot from them but they are bigger bitch then that chick in the office across the hall from you. One problem I often see is people skimp when squating or pulling. If you can bench 225lbs for 6 reps why aren't you using 315 for reps in the others?

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Well said, Skoal.

Can I ask how long ago the ruptured disk?

I have one too and I still deadlift. Not very heavy, but slow and good. With proper stretching, I get no pain, even thouth my orthopedist said "You lift weights again with that back of yours, and you'll go straigth to a wheelchair and for good, too." :D

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
just stretch the hell out of your back before during and after deadlifting and keep proper form and you should be able to avoid most injury from it i'm currently doing 3 sets at 415 for 4-6 reps and although i'm sore for 4 days i've not injured myself at all

Last edited:

skoal

Awards
I ruptured the disk about 10 years ago. Deadlifting isn't as bad on it as squating, I use the sumo style. The rupture is between the L4 and L5. Rack pulls seem to be the best compromise for me right now. I can also do stiff leg deadlifts, but you can't use the same amount of weight for those as you can a regular deadlift or squat. I can do squats and work up to 315 for reps but it just isn't anywhere near enough weight to get a good workout. I'm kind of lucky that my legs aren't a tough body part for me, my thighs are 26" - 27" with good cuts and vasculartity on the inside and across the medialis. Now if I could just get those threads I call arms to grow.........

And for anyone who is wondering if squating and deadlift are going to hurt your back here's the deal. My injury was the result of a complication from an earlier non-weight training injury. My doctor told me that had I not been training with weights I would likely have had back problems sooner. Sometimes it's just one of those things. I can't powerlift any more but I can still get bigger and stronger. You just have to find ways around problems.

Leave the limitations for the small guys.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Good info in the past few posts. Just to get on your back skoal, where'd you get the 5-7% less stress on your back when performing a sumo stance dead over the norm. ;)
Sage

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Deadlifts, BB Rows, MODERATE grip pullups, and everyone seems to have forgotten about OLD SCHOOL T-BAR ROWS!!!! I chose moderate grip as opposed to wide for pullups because if you go to wide you limit the range of motion. Even Yates agreed with this and look at his back. Remember, "Full range of motion for full development."

skoal

Awards
Sage
Rummage through some old issues of Powerlifting USA. Numbers just kind of stick with me, well that, super hero powers and a great set of tatas.

But give both ways a try and see if you feel a difference. It's always a good idea to never just take any person's word. Also, in 1999 there was a study comparing sumo and conventional style deadlifts. When using sumo style there was 25% less mechanical work performed then traditional deadlift. Probably do to the stress being shared more equally across the ankle, knee and hip. Traditional deadlift places more of the stress on the hip extensiors.

And Sage, feel free to get on my back any time. I'd rather say something right but if I'm wrong, I'd rather be corrected then have that information hold someone back.