HIIT

kdouthit34

Awards
Can anyone explain exactly what the benefits are and the best way to do it? Im not much of a sprinter, but I've heard great things about it and am looking to cut this excess pudge off my lower abs. Dieting and my ab circuit have only gotten me so far.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I actually spent some time talking with my Active Release Therapist about this earlier this week. He explained to me that his understanding is this:

Look at the differences in muscularity between Olympic runners who run less than 400 meters, and those who run over 800. The shorter distance sprinters generally have much better muscular development. This is because high intensity bursts near your 100% mark cause a surge of GH in your system that can last for up to 3 hours (that is, if you don't consume a large amount of sugar post-workout) and that extra GH can help increase your muscle size.

High intensity sprinting recruits a ton of muscle all over your body. The core, shoulders, arms...basically everything has to tense to some degree so that you can keep your balance.

What I took from talking with him is that if you're doing sprint work HIIT style, make sure you keep the high intensity segments short enough so that you're exerting at as near to 100% for as much of the time as possible. Usually no longer than 20 seconds for the sprints. I'm sure some people will disagree, and you'll have to be the judge of how well you respond, but my therapist used to compete and he's still a pretty big guy.

I usually get nice and warm, then sprint all out for 12-15 seconds, walk for 30, all out for 12-15, walk for 30. Do this for 5 minutes and I consider it a set. I usually do about 7 sets.

Maybe that will get you started.

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
I actually spent some time talking with my Active Release Therapist about this earlier this week. He explained to me that his understanding is this:

Look at the differences in muscularity between Olympic runners who run less than 400 meters, and those who run over 800. The shorter distance sprinters generally have much better muscular development. This is because high intensity bursts near your 100% mark cause a surge of GH in your system that can last for up to 3 hours (that is, if you don't consume a large amount of sugar post-workout) and that extra GH can help increase your muscle size.

High intensity sprinting recruits a ton of muscle all over your body. The core, shoulders, arms...basically everything has to tense to some degree so that you can keep your balance.

What I took from talking with him is that if you're doing sprint work HIIT style, make sure you keep the high intensity segments short enough so that you're exerting at as near to 100% for as much of the time as possible. Usually no longer than 20 seconds for the sprints. I'm sure some people will disagree, and you'll have to be the judge of how well you respond, but my therapist used to compete and he's still a pretty big guy.

I usually get nice and warm, then sprint all out for 12-15 seconds, walk for 30, all out for 12-15, walk for 30. Do this for 5 minutes and I consider it a set. I usually do about 7 sets.

Good information. Thanks for sharing!

kdouthit34

Awards

Very good info. Thanks. I'm not sure I'm up to do 7 sets of 5 mins just yet lol. But I do like the way you have that configured for 1 set. I'll have to give it a shot. The one I just recently started is sprint 40 yds and take a 30-45 second break rather than walk it off for a few seconds. I guess it makes sense that keeping the heart rate up would work better.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I guess it makes sense that keeping the heart rate up would work better.
I think it depends on your preference. I think there are benefits both ways, but it is probably a bigger shock to your system when you stop completely...the increased shock might even result in a higher fat burning/endocrin response by your body!

rambofireball

rambofireball

Awards
  • Established
Man, you're a cardiovascular beast! I do fasted 15-20 minute HIIT sessions first thing in the AM on a 20/40 second split, and by the end I'm totally toast, can barely walk back to my car lol.