Question about scapula position!!!

strongman_101

Banned
Awards
Whats the scapular position is achieved in the contracted phase of reverse flies? Rows? Face pulls? Shrugs? Bench? Incline bench (steep)? Im trying to reverse this dull shoulder pain i get when i shoulder press. So i need to strengthen some scapula function.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Most of those listed, including bench press if you keep your scaps retracted as is tought by many for stability, will keep you retracted. Shrugs will cause elevation. When o/h pressing, if I'm not mistaken, you will go into a laterally rotated position.

Edit: the pressing pain could be due to impingment which is a common problem for overhead work or anything that requires you to abduct the shoulder passed roughly 90 degrees

strongman_101

Banned
Awards
I do have pretty tight pectoral minors. If i stretch those out everyday, along with my external rotators, should it get better? I sometimes feel discomfort when i do external rotations, so maybe its time to stretch a lot more.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
In each of the lifts you listed, the position should be scapula retraction sans shrugs, which would be scapula elevation. Narrowing it to just pec minor tightness might be a bit too short-sighted as it is often just one of the imbalances/weaknesses.

strongman_101

Banned
Awards
Well i stretch the pecs, and rotators now. Then im going to start doing more direct rotator cuff work, and more upper back work especially upper traps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Well i stretch the pecs, and rotators now. Then im going to start doing more direct rotator cuff work, and more upper back work especially upper traps.
It's seldom upper traps that need extra work. It's usually mid and lower traps.

strongman_101

Banned
Awards
I know.. i feel as if you cant activate them as well as you should with tight pec minors, and shoulder external rotations. For me at least. Im just now starting to feel sore in my seratus anteriors after 4 years of training. Yea lol. My pecs were tight.

strongman_101

Banned
Awards
Whenever i do external rotaions, and facepulls, i feel a burn in my lagging shoulder. I dont know if thats because its working that lagging muscle, or is it the rubbing of the humerus bone. Its like more in lateral/back of my shoulder

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Whenever i do external rotaions, and facepulls, i feel a burn in my lagging shoulder. I dont know if thats because its working that lagging muscle, or is it the rubbing of the humerus bone. Its like more in lateral/back of my shoulder
Sounds more like an impingement. Buy a Rumble Roller.

strongman_101

Banned
Awards
What am i suppose to do with that? Also, am i heading in the right direction since i can feel my serratus anteriors working now from stretching? Im not 100% sure how to pull the humeral head back unless it just takes time

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What am i suppose to do with that? Also, am i heading in the right direction since i can feel my serratus anteriors working now from stretching? Im not 100% sure how to pull the humeral head back unless it just takes time
It's a specific kind of foam roller to help loosen the adhesions that you probably have along the rotator cuff muscles, traps, and thoracic spine.

strongman_101

Banned
Awards
Thanks. I'm going to see if my sports medicine doctor practices the graston technique as well