Whatd I Break?

gspark05

gspark05

Awards
I feel like I am doing something wrong. Maybe you can give me some advice to fix my routine. I have been lifting with a passion for the last 2 years, on and off before then. My diet has been on point for a year.

When I exercise I split my muscles into an ABC schedule and I repeat it twice a week with one day off a week. My lifts continuously go up in reps or weight. And as an example we can use my flat bench. Most exercises reflect this. I do 45x12, 135x12, 155x10, 165x9, 165x8, 155x8. In addition for chest I do decline bench and incline bench. At times I'll do neg acc or focus on longer tut. I believe in the old school method of going until failure each set.

My problem is that I don't hurt the next day. I live for that hurt. It tells me that I left everything on that bench press. I know I should do homework and see what works like higher reps, lower reps, shorter rest time etc. but maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. I'm about to start my cyp cycle and I want to destroy myself on the regular. Nothing would make me happier than to not be able to scratch my shoulders the day after chest workout. FYI, 3 muscle group exercises takes me 2 hours to complete. Also I only have a bench and free weights, no machines.

Thanks hombres!!!!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DOMS has nothing to do with progress. Nothing. Its just muscle trauma.

Edit: Well, not nothing. But, very little. Much much less than progressive overload.

bigb123

Awards
Well reduce your workout duration to 45min-1hr... try and get more information on overtraining...

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well reduce your workout duration to 45min-1hr... try and get more information on overtraining...
Why? 60 min is not a golden rule or time limit with regards to training. And please don't say cortisol.

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
Soreness is not a indicator of a good workout. Progress is. If your consistent in increasing reps/weight and changing your routine you can reach your genetic potential .

gspark05

gspark05

Awards
Thanks guys. All I do now is read bb magazines, PDFs and forums, so I know a good bit about proper exercise so I believe I'm doing it right. I just wish I had that pain that let me know I gave it my all at the gym. I miss it :/

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Thanks guys. All I do now is read bb magazines, PDFs and forums, so I know a good bit about proper exercise so I believe I'm doing it right. I just wish I had that pain that let me know I gave it my all at the gym. I miss it :/
seriously!?!?! i know i am totally biased against bodybuilders so in my opinion if that is all you are reading about then you you dont know much at all. i used to think i knew everything when all i was reading was that rubbish. then i got into athletic training and my whole world got turned upside down. and it happened again a year ago when i started training for powerlifting and highland games. i found bodybuilding just scratched the surface of what there is to know.

gspark05

gspark05

Awards
I'll never know it all, that's what makes it exciting. And we all have different goals and we shape our routines and research accordingly.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll never know it all, that's what makes it exciting. And we all have different goals and we shape our routines and research accordingly.
I like your attitude.

Bodybuilding magazines (in my opinion and observation) rewrite the same information each month using new pictures and catch phrases.

E-books and PDFs can provide good information, depending on who produces them and for what purpose.
Forums are the same...though they seem to go in two directions. 1. mirroring flex magazine and traditional bodybuilding rhetoric, or 2. more evidence based and questioning the traditional rhetoric.

If you want to learn, and learn more than just random facts, then you need to become critical to what you are reading. Who wrote it, who published it, and why? What do they have to gain or what are they promoting? What are their credentials, experience, etc. Is it a n=1 (personal experience) or a summary of results working with clients/people? Etc.

Br