idea for floor press?

Crusher92

Awards
im runnint into a bit of a problem, my gym has no power rack, and no outstanding things to unrack a floor press from. i like using it in my program, and it helps my strength alot so id like to think of a better way to do it than what im doing (having a spotter help me unrack it from a bench while i lay on the floor (very inconvenient)), so any ideas of any kind are appreciated! thanks!

EliteSoldier

Awards
Lay the barbell on the floor and get your buddy to deadlift it to you.. Well thats what I've been doing for the past few years..

Crusher92

Awards
i had considered that, but the problem i run into there is that not many of my buddies can deadlift the weight for me haha xD

EliteSoldier

Awards
woah how much of weight you using for bench bro?

Crusher92

Awards
got 315 for an easy 2 on it today, i'm still getting used to the way to do it (doing more of a west side program now as opposed to my previous), got a 325 for a single aswell, still working on it though

Crusher92

Awards
i dont have hardly any friends who are serious, and i know it sounds far fetched but no, none of them can.

DeFos3

DeFos3

Awards
Get a pair of jack stands and bring them with you when you train or donate them to your gym so they are there when you need them.

anathemax

anathemax

Awards
I believe the old time strongmen sometimes raised the weight into positions with glute bridges... altho I have absolutely no source handy for that info.

I experimented with it - it works alright with 135 and 225. 225 is about my limit on bench due to multiple shoulder injuries, altho this was surprisingly easy on my shoulder...

I don't have enought posts to embed video...

http ://youtu.be/F38KduI8vFE

http ://youtu.be/Zq54iTj7KpY

Last edited:

Crusher92

Awards
i might look into the stands...and thats an interesting way to do it...would you be able to find a video of someone doing it so i could see what ya mean?

DeFos3

DeFos3

Awards
I'm sure there's videos out there somewhere but just imagine the jack stands are the crutches on a weight bench but much lower and moveable. Adjust them properly for your body and space them properly.

Matt Hatchett

Awards
I've seen a lot of training logs where people are doing floor presses in their workouts. I personally have never done them. It seems your range of motion would be too little. What are the advantages?

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Get non-girly friends........

i had considered that, but the problem i run into there is that not many of my buddies can deadlift the weight for me haha xD

Crusher92

Awards
thatd be a good idea...none of them are that serious, and hearing them whine and complain about it sometimes gets to me haha xD

aceroni

Awards
thatd be a good idea...none of them are that serious, and hearing them whine and complain about it sometimes gets to me haha xD
Idk but I Personally don't benefit from floor presses.. They seem to put undue stress on my delts.. But I guess that stands for all bb benching

Crusher92

Awards
i dont ever feel any stress on my shoulders from floor press really, so idk why that would be.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Idk but I Personally don't benefit from floor presses.. They seem to put undue stress on my delts.. But I guess that stands for all bb benching
Make your upper back tighter and bring the bar lower on your sternum.

aceroni

Awards
Make your upper back tighter and bring the bar lower on your sternum.
dude trust me. I'm the king of scapula (ie the biggest proponent of squeezing your traps / scap together during pressing)
but i probably should work on that second part, ie bringing the bar lower.. but im usually bringing it about to the lower part of my chest.. i think it is just how i am shaped, not sure why but barbell bench (especially flat) does not agree with me and my shoulders ALWAYS do more work than my chest.. I tend to keep my elbows tucked in due to the fact that if i flare them out, i have even greater shoulder strain (except this feels more like joint strain than muscle strain)